A brain injury
at birth is a devastating event that is often the result of a hospital or doctors’ medical malpractice before, during or after the birth. Most concerning is that the severity of these brain injuries cause damages to infants that are permanent and life altering. Sometimes, the brain injury is not immediately noticeable until several years later when the child fails to develop normally compared to other children the same age. Other times, the baby shows rapid digression in his or her health.
We expect medical physicians, including doctors, nurses, midwives and other hospital personnel to take every precaution possible in ensuring the safety of our children. Unfortunately, as attorneys we are continuously witnessing errors during the birthing process that contribute to avoidable brain injuries to children. Brain injury at birth can be caused by:
Improper monitoring of the progression of pregnancy before the birth
Unsuccessful recognition of any fetal distress, including the umbilical cord wrapping around the baby’s neck. This limits the amount of oxygen or blood flow to the baby’s brain resulting in hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy or HIE.
- Medication errors
- Failure to diagnose birthing issues early in the process, when these issues otherwise should have been detected
- Preeclampsia or eclampsia
- Rupturing of the uterine
- Delaying of the C-Section
- Tearing of the placenta
- Too much force is applied when removing the baby. This is common when delivery tools such as forceps, vacuums or other tools are used deliver an infant, especially larger babies.
The Ultimate Guide to Birth Injuries
– Birth Injury
– California Birth Injury Law
– Erb’s Palsy
– Brain Injury at Birth
– Birth Injury Questions
– Compression of the Umbilical Cord
– Forceps Delivery Injury
– Shoulder Birth Injury
– Placenta Abruption
– California Statute of Limitations for Birth Injuries
– Child Suffering caused by birth malpractice
Unfortunately, hospitals and medical professionals have become adept at deflecting the blame for brain injuries during the birthing process. They often rely on Apgar scores, which is a rating system for delivery. They argue that they were not negligent in the birthing process, or that the baby was genetically predisposed to have a brain injury. However, our attorneys understand how to combat these defenses and maximize baby injury claims.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (888) 649-7166.
Certain red flags you should look for after the birth of the baby to see if there was medical malpractice during the birth are:
- Were the medical personnel acting strange or despondent after the birth?
- Was the doctor struggling to remove the baby?
- Did the doctor answer all of your questions or concerns, or simply dismiss your concern?
Doctor’s often realize when they have committed malpractice, and are known to take remedial measures in order to safeguard themselves from potential liability. If the injury was avoidable, contact our medical malpractice attorney in order to make sure the baby receives full compensation for the rest of his or her life.
How Do I Know If My Baby Suffered a Brain Injury from Medical Malpractice
Parents should look out for certain variables in order to determine if the baby has suffered damage. It might not be automatically apparent that an infant has suffered any harm at all. Therefore, parents should be on the look out for:
- Unusual muscle tone
- Baby goes in and out of consciousness
- Abnormal fetal heart rate
- Baby is not developing at a normal rate
- Cerebral Palsy
- Crying more than usual
- Inability to focus
Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative and schedule a free case review.
The Ultimate Guide to Medical Malpractice
– Medical Malpractice Attorney
– Medication Errors Attorney
– Medical Device Defect Injury Attorney
– Transvaginal Mesh Attorney
– Defective Pharmaceutical Drugs
– Doctor Committed Medical Malpractice
– Kugel Mesh Patch Complication Injuries
– DePuy Hip Replacement Attorney
– DePuy ASR Hip Replacement FAQ
– Gallbladder Surgery Malpractice Attorney
– C-Section Malpractice Attorney
– Hysterectomy Malpractice Attorney
– Nerve Injuries Due to Medical Malpractice
– Wrongful Death Medical Malpractice Attorney
– Kaiser Malpractice Attorney
– Delayed Diagnosis Lawsuit
– Operation Error Lawsuit
– Botched Bris Attorney
– Circumcision Injury Physician Malpractice
– Dental Malpractice Attorney
– Dental Implants Malpractice claim
– Liposuction Malpractice Lawyer
– Plastic Surgery Medical Malpractice Attorney
– Podiatrist Malpractice Attorney
– Dermatologist Malpractice Attorney
– Medical Malpractice After a Car Accident
– Transvaginal Mesh – Surgeon Liability
Our Birth Injury Medical Malpractice Attorneys Can Help
Handling cases where the baby has suffered from brain injuries from a birthing medical malpractice requires an intimate knowledge of both brain injury and medical malpractice claims. We employ some of the best doctors, medical experts and a team of attorneys in order to prove that the hospital is liable for your baby’s brain injury. Call (888) 649-7166
to speak immediately to an attorney about your claim.