Every year 4.5 million people in the United States suffer from dog bite injuries. Close to one million victims of dog attacks require immediate medical attention and tens of thousands require reconstructive surgery due to disfigurement and permanent scarring. Victims of dog bites are entitled to monetary compensation for their losses including all medical costs, cost of revision surgery for scarring and disfigurement, pain and suffering and lost wages.
Our Lawyers Are Here to Help: The Downtown LA Law Group is a personal injury law firm dedicated to protecting the rights of clients who have been attacked and suffered serious injuries resulting from Dog Bites in Los Angeles and across Southern California. All confidential legal consultations with our expert legal team are provided free of charge. Speak with an animal attack attorney regarding your claim and get your case started today by calling our office (855)385-2529 to begin your free consultation.
The Ultimate Guide to Do bite Injuries
– What to do after a Dog Bite?
– Which Dog Breeds are dangerous?
– List of 9 Dangerous Dog breeds
– What you need to know if you have been attacked, bitten, or mauled by a dog?
– Where do Dog Bites OCCUR?
– Most Common Injuries Caused by Dog Attacks
– List of 6 Dog Bite Prevention Tips for Kids
– Do I Need a Lawyer for a Dog Bite Claim?
– Dog Bite Compensation Claims
– Trusted Dog Bite Lawyers in Los Angeles
– Dog Bite Lawsuit Costs
– Recovery for the Physical Pain Due to Injuries Suffered
– Child Victims of Dog Bites – Post Traumatic Stress and Psychological Damage
– Filing a Dog Attack Lawsuit – Value of My Case
What to do after a Dog Bite?
- Safety should be your most important concern. You should quickly methodically walk away from the scene. Many animal attack experts claim that running will cause the dog to come after you. If you have been attacked by a dog don’t assume that the attack by the dog or another dog is over. Dogs often return to continue their attacks on the individual.
- Contact a health care professional immediately; even if you believe you have not been seriously wounded you should seek medical attention. Often as a result of the shock of the incident many do not feel the pain of the injuries they have suffered. Injuries from dog bites often manifest themselves hours or even days after the dog attack.
- If safe to do so attempt to retrieve information on the dog, and its owner. Where they live, address, telephone number.
- If there is witnesses ask them for their information as well. The testimony of witnesses can be beneficial compensation for you injuries.
- Do not attempt to talk with the other party regarding fault or apologies. Any words you may have said can be used against you when you are seeking compensation for your damages and injuries. Even politeness can be used against you.
- Contact the local police department and animal control & report and dog bite incident. If you have a trusted personal injury animal attack lawyer contact him if you have any questions regarding the process
- Be Careful Who You Talk To – if the other party’s insurance company contacts you, your best response is to get in touch with a Pitt Bull Lawyer for your injury and ask him to speak with the other party’s agents.
- Never automatically accept the first estimate or offer you get – jumping the gun on the settlement can be a costly mistake. Contact a California Dog Bite Lawyer who is skilled an adept in negotiating with insurance companies. If home insurance companies play hardball a skilled aggressive Dog Bite Attorney will take the defendant to litigation and trial.
- Get an aggressive and tenacious Attorney – A Dog Attack attorney adept in fighting home insurance companies and protecting your right to compensation will be able to substantially increase the amount of compensation you receive for your damages and injuries.
- Heal your wounds and get better; fighting insurance companies and defendants is OUR JOB. We will make you receive the maximum compensation for your loss.
Call (213) 389-3765 to set up a free, no obligation consultation to find out if you have a case.
Which Dog Breeds are dangerous?
Believe it or not, statistics report that there are over 1,000 dog bite injuries every day. It’s not common for every dog to have a vicious side; there are certain breeds that are more prone to inflict dog bites on victims. Common breeds to exhibit this type of behavior are Rottweiler’s, Pit Bulls often referred to APT American Pit-bull Terrier, Presa Canarios, and breeds that have these partial mixes. Here is a list of some of the most prevalent dog breeds which have been involved in dog attacks and dog bite on humans.
list of 9 Dangerous Dog breeds
- Pit Bull
- German Shepard
- Doberman Pinschers
- Alaskan Malamutes
- Presa Canario
What you need to know if you have been attacked, bitten, or mauled by a dog?
Downtown LA Law Group is dedicated to protecting the rights of clients who have been attacked and suffer injuries resulting from Dog Bites in Los Angeles. Our Skilled LA Dog Bite Attorneys have the knowledge and experience to defend you against animal attacks and dog mauling in the court of law. You are not alone we are here to help. We make sure our clients’ claims receive the highest level of compensation possible for the injuries they incur. Mauled and Animal Attack Injury Lawyers.
Animal attacks particularly Dog Attack against children have witnessed an increase in publicity over the past decade. However, dog attacks remain a danger to many in Southern California. Los Angeles has witnessed a rise in the ownership of particularly harmful dog breeds which are prone to bite humans and cause severe dog bite injuries to those attacked.
Unfortunately, approximately 70% of dog bite victims are children and about 80% involve bodily harm and some end in fatalities. One should be very careful and vigilant in the safety of their loved ones if a neighbor owns any of these breeds or your home is frequented by a person who brings any of these dogs to your place. Children are easily susceptible to dog bites because of their size. Many dogs view children as simple prey and their predatory instincts push these dogs towards attacking. The most important advice we can give you at Downtown LA Law Group is not a legal advice but a safety advice; we always clients to protect their kids as much as possible from dogs that have a tendency to bite humans.
Where do Dog Bites OCCUR?
Most dog bite attacks take place either in or around the home. A recent study suggested that around 60% of dog mauling take place in one home and in the neighborhood where one lives. It is difficult to claim legal damages and hire a lawyer against a neighbor, or a friend whose dog attacked and injured you or your loved ones. It is vital that you understand that the vast majority of these cases are settled with the dog owners insurance policies; most of the time a dog owner does not pay out of pocket for injuries caused by his dog.
Most Common Injuries Caused by Dog Attacks
Common injuries resulting from attacks after you have been bitten by a dog are as follows:
- Facial Lacerations
- Facial Disfigurement
- Trauma to the Eyes
- Lacerated Nerves – Resulting in Severe Nerve Damage and Paralysis
- Broken Nose and Broken Limbs from falling
- Loss of Body parts – Amputations of the hands, nose, ears
- Lacerations to the body
- Spinal Cord Damage
- Brain Damage
- Torn Knee and Ligament
- Emotional Distress including Post Traumatic Stress and Feelings of anxiety around other dogs
- Pain and Suffering
Dog Attacks, particularly against children, have witnessed increasing publicity over the past decade. However despite great tragedies dog attacks remain a great danger to many residents of Los Angeles. LA has witnessed a rise in the ownership of particularly harmful dog breeds which are prone to bite humans and cause severe dog bite injuries to those attacked.
Dog Breeds and Danger Posed to You or your Children: It’s not common for every dog to have a vicious side; there are certain breeds that are more prone to inflict dog bites on victims. Common breeds to exhibit this type of behavior are Rottweiler’s, Pit Bulls [often referred to APT American Pit-bull Terrier], Presa Canarios, Dobermans, German Shepherds and breeds that have these partial mixes. Unfortunately, approximately 70% of dog bite victims are children and about 80% involve bodily harm and some end in fatalities. One should be very careful and vigilant in the safety of their loved ones If a neighbor owns any of these breeds or your home is frequented by a person who brings any of these dogs to your place.
For more information on breeds of dogs most susceptible to causing dog bites visit the CDC Special Report on Breeds of Dogs involved in fatal human attacks.
List of 6 Dog Bite Prevention Tips for Kids
There are numerous steps parents and children need to take in order to prevent dog attacks. Some simple steps include
- Never approach unfamiliar dogs
- When approached by an unfamiliar dog remain motionless
- Never allow your children to play with dogs unsupervised
- Avoid direct eye contact with dogs
- Report any dogs not on their leash to local authorities and animal control
- Do not run and scream while in the presence of a dog
Further information visit CDC’s dog bite safety and prevention
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Dog Bite Claim?
Establishing Liability in dog bite cases and dog mauling law suites in the state of California is usually an unproblematic endeavor. However, one needs to be abreast of dog bite laws in California and legal procedure in a California court in order to be able to maximize compensation from Insurance companies. Dog owners are usually responsible for the actions of their dogs. The home insurance policy of the dog owner will usually foot the bill. However, in many instances, home insurance companies have been unwilling to justly compensate victims. That is why a tenacious and skilled Dog bite injury lawyer is needed to maximize your settlement
Dog Bite Compensation Claims
If you have been a victim to dog bites, and the owner had lost control of their pet, you are entitled to compensation for such a horrible experience. You may have medical bills, wages lost due to doctor’s appointments, and emotional trauma that may affect you for the rest of your life. This experience is not your fault, and while it’s not fair that you have to experience it, there are ways to help ease your suffering.
In order to maximize compensation to a victim of a dog bite an attorney needs to be abreast of dog bite laws in Los Angeles, local ordinances, California personal injury laws, and legal procedure in County Superior Courts. You should not attempt to settle a dog bite incident alone. Full compensation for your injuries will likely require legal representation from a Dog Bite Attorney. The level of compensation available to dog bite victims is based on numerous factors including the severity of the injury and the permanence of the harm cause by the attack. There are several types of recovery available including.
- Compensation for medical and hospitalization costs.
- Cost of future medical needs including rehabilitation, reconstructive surgery for permanent scarring and disgruntlement.
- Lost wages, lost income and future reduction of salary because of the injuries you have suffered.
- Pain and suffering – including mental trauma, post-traumatic stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Punitive damages – where possible.
We advise any person who has been inflicted by dog bite to initially consult an attorney before talking to the dog owner or insurance adjusters. Dog owners are responsible for the actions of their dogs. That is why a tenacious and skilled Dog bite injury lawyer is needed to maximize your settlement.
Statute of Limitations for Filing Lawsuit Against Owners of Dogs: California Code of Civil Procedure Sections 335-349.4 places a statute of limitations of two years from the date of the injury or accidents to file a civil claim in the court of law.
Trusted Dog Bite Lawyers in Los Angeles
We are professional and experienced animal attack / dog bite lawyers located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles. Our dog bite lawyer deals with cases involving all types of dog and animal attacks. It is our priority to make sure you are compensated for the misfortune you have had to experience. We’ll take all the steps necessary to ensure that you are educated on all of your options available. The attorneys at Downtown LA Law are professional and experienced Attorneys that have a lengthy history in dealing with cases involving dog bites or a dog mauling. It is our priority to make sure you get compensated for the tragedy you have had to experience. We’ll take all the steps necessary ensure you are educated on all of your options available. And we will work diligently so that we can maximize your settlement for the injuries pain and suffering you had to endure.
Dog Bite Lawsuit Costs
Some commonly asked questions:
How much a dog bite lawsuit should cost?
How Much Do Dog Bite Lawyers Cost?
How Much Does a Dog Bite Injury Lawyer Charge?
How Much Is My Dog Bite Injury Claim Worth?
Our Legal team of Dog Bite Litigators believe that you should never have to pay to speak to an attorney. Many law firms will force you to speak to their secretary or assistant. However, when you call our Law Firm you will always be connected directly to a personal injury lawyer Skilled in California Dog Attack Litigation. We understand that victims of serious injuries need help with their claims and may have many complex legal questions which a secretary of legal assistant cannot answer.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (213) 389-3765.
PAIN AND SUFFERING COMPENSATIONM – DOG BITE ATTACK LAWSUIT PSYCHOLOGICAL DAMAGE
Victims of severe injuries due to dog bites are entitled to compensation not only for their physical injuries but also for the mental trauma experienced. Generally the dog owner is liable for any injury the dog causes including instances of severe emotional trauma. A Dog bite can be an emotionally stressful experience which often results in long term mental health concerns, ranging from depression, to anxiety disorders, and Post Traumatic disorder.
In many instances dog bite victims suffer form permanent scarring and disfigurement resulting in severe instances of emotional hardship. What’s more victims of dog bite must endure years of physical pain from multiple revision and reconstructive surgeries and medical procedures.
Recovery for the Physical Pain Due to Injuries Suffered
Under the common law system of jurisprudence victims of personal injury including incidence of dog bite are entitled to receive money damages from all at fault parties for the physical pain suffered. The calculation of pain and suffering compensation is based on a Per Diem System where the jury calculates and then place a daily monetary value on a victims physical pain and emotional hardship and then multiplied that amount by the number of days the individual has suffered.
For example a dog bite victims suffered form serious facial lacerations resulting in approximately 1 year of pain and suffering. The jury calculate the daily (Per Diem) recovery she should receive at $800. Thus the calculation for pain and suffering in this case will be $800 multiplied by 365 days or $292,000.
Child Victims of Dog Bites – Post Traumatic Stress and Psychological Damage
Dog bites can be a traumatic experience for many. However, young children are particularly susceptible to experiencing manifestation of severe long lasting emotional trauma following acts of violence against them. Post traumatic stress contains numerous symptoms including, depresses mood, mood swings, avoidance of particular activities, over excitement, nightmares, and flashbacks.
Mental trauma including PTSD is a recoverable component of your claim. Under common law victims are permitted to file damages not only for physical bodily harm but also for the mental stress caused by a dog attack.
Children’s right to file a personal injury claim is extended under California’s exceptions to it Statute of Limitations. Under California law child victims of dog bites have two years from the date of their 18th birthday to file a claim for recovery in the court of law.
Filing a Dog Attack Lawsuit – Value of My Case
Victims of Dog Bites are entitled to monetary compensation for all their losses including
- All medical bills including cost of hospitalization
- All future medical expenses and rehabilitation care including reconstructive surgeries
- Pain and suffering including emotional distress
- Loss of wags and future loss of income
- Punitive damages – where the at fault parties displays a wanton reckless disregard to the health and life of others
Attorney Consultation: If you have suffered from a severe dog attack and are experiencing signs and symptoms of emotional trauma including PTSD feel free to contact our law offices to learn more about your legal rights. Toll free
– PTSD Dog Bite Lawsuit
– Statute of Limitations Dog Bite Lawsuit
– Los Angeles Dog Bite Laws
– Psychological damages after a dog bite
– Common Bodily and Emotional Dog Bite Injuries
– PTSD Dog Bite Lawsuit
– Numbness After a Dog Bite
– Value of a Dog Bite Injury Claim
– Puncture Wounds from Dog Bites
– Infections from Dog Bites
– Postal Worker Dog Bite Injury Attorney
– Police dog bite injury lawyer
– San Bernardino dog bite lawyers
– Bakersfield Dog Bite Lawyer
– San Diego Dog Bite Lawyer
– Beverly Hills Dog Bite Lawyer
– Riverside county dog bite laws
– One Bite Rule – California Dog Bite Laws
Remember you WILL NOT Be Charged a penny UNTIL you have received compensation for your Dog Bite Injuries.
Get your case started today by calling our office (855) DT-LA-LAW to begin your free consultation. Our Animal Attack Lawyers are here to help. You’ll never know what your options are until you discuss them with skilled professional personal injury attorney at our Los angeles Dog Bite Law Firm.