- Carrier 1.5-ton multi-zone pumps with model number 38MGQC18—3 and serial number 38MGQC18—301–
- Carrier 4-ton multi-zone pumps with model number 38MGQF48—3 and serial number 38MGQF48—301–
- Carrier 4-ton single-zone pumps with model number 38MBQB48—3 and serial number 38MBQB48–301–
- Bryant 1.5-ton multi-zone pumps with model number 538TEQ018RCMA and serial number 538TEQ018RCMAAAA
- Bryant 4-ton multi-zone pumps with model number 538TEQ048RFMA and serial number 538TEQ048RFMAAAA
- Bryant 4-ton single-zone pumps with model number 538REQ048RBMA and serial number 538REQ048RBMAAAA
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (213) 389-3765.The remedy for the recall is for users to call the company that provided the installation service, or the dealer or contractor, and set up a free repair. The units can be used, but should be monitored and any foliage, leaves, and other flammable materials should be kept at least 2 feet away from the heat pump.
Injuries And Accidents From Faulty Heat PumpsA heat pump is different from a heat creator, like a furnace, and different from a cold creator, like an air conditioner. The heat pump will move energy from outside and convert it into heat inside, or it will reverse directions and do the opposite. This allows it to be more of an energy mover, which is much more efficient and does not use as many resources. However, it still is electrically powered and has a fan that must work very hard to adequately transfer energy from one location to another. The fact that the fan can run too hard and fail, leading to overheating, is a large issue. An overheating fan that results in fires can cause extreme accidents. For example, if you leave a heat pump in and you are not in the room or if you have gone to sleep, the fan can overheat, start a fire in the home, and begin to consume the house. The fire may be hard to stop if you cannot dislodge the heat pump in time, too. It is highly recommended that you pay careful attention to the areas that have heat pumps and you keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of a sudden fire. Burns can be of varying degrees, from surface first-degree burns that heal within a few days to severe third-degree burns that cause numbness, intense skin damage, tissue damage, nerve damage, loss of sensation and heat, muscle weakness and deterioration, and much more.
Product Liability LawsIf you were hurt in an accident caused by a defective heat pump, you could take legal action against Carrier. In order to sue with a product liability case, you must be able to show that there was some kind of issue with the product. One of these three points must be established as true:
- A design flaw with the heat pump was present when it was made
- A manufacturing error with the wrong parts caused or contributed to the heat pump’s fan failing
- There were no hazard symbols or warnings on the item or the packaging to tell the user about the potential accidents
Get started today by calling (213) 389-3765.The company should be held accountable for its actions and for not adequately protecting customers. If Carrier knowingly used materials that were faulty and an accident happened, the company should be made to pay off the losses and damages.