Individuals who have been hurt or who have suffered injuries may be able to receive financial compensation for the damages. The compensation can be paid out by the responsible party, whether that is another person or a company. These personal injury lawsuits are filed in civil court and generally revolve around insurance companies paying out damages
. However, there are some instances wherein numerous individuals are harmed because of a common cause or hazard. In these cases, there is the opportunity for a class action lawsuit to be filed against the responsible party. You should not simply select any attorney for this endeavor. You may have questions about what is a class action lawsuit and how to find a class action lawsuit attorney
. There are many options, but none are better than the team of expert lawyers available at the Downtown LA Law Group
What Is a Class Action Lawsuit?
As per the dictionary, a class action lawsuit is “an action in which a representative plaintiff sues or a representative defendant is sued on behalf of a class of plaintiffs or defendants who have the same interests in the litigation as their representative and whose rights or liabilities can be more efficiently determined as a group than in a series of individual suits.
” This means that it is essentially a group of individuals taking legal action against one other party because the rights and damages can be handled better as a group.
Many attorneys have seen class action lawsuits
pop up against major companies over the years, and the settlements have been quite large.
It is rarer for a class action lawsuit to be filed against a single individual, especially because single individuals seldom have the funds necessary to pay out a settlement or verdict for numerous individuals. Even targeting the estate may make the settlement come up quite short.
A class action lawsuit will proceed with a number of plaintiffs; all potential plaintiffs will be contacted to see if they wish to join in. Individuals who wish to opt out of the class action lawsuit do not lose the ability to take legal action – that is, they do not forfeit their rights to compensation, they only choose to take action that is different and not part of a group. Generally, individuals will pursue singular personal injury claims
, often with the help of one personal injury lawyer
The Ultimate Guide to Recal and Class Actions
– Recall Lawsuits
– Product Liability/Defective Products
– What is a Class Action Lawsuit
Defective Car, Bicycle Recalls
– 2011 Subaru Outback Recall Notice
– Saturn Aura Lawsuit – GM Recall of Faulty Transmission Cables
– GM Cobalt Ignition Switch Defect Class Action Lawsuit
– Porsche GT Recall Lawsuit
– GM Fail to Make a Timely Recall in The Chevy Cobalt defects
– Toyota Steering Pump Defect Recall
– Ford Airbag Class Action Lawsuit
– Fuel Hose Recall Lawsuit
– Cane Creek Bicycle Shock Recall
– Takata Airbag Class Action Lawsuit
– Statute of Limitations Takata Airbag Explosion Lawsuit
– Quest ZRT Riding Lawnmower Defect Recall
– Luxury car maker BMW and Mercedes recall
– Zip Line Defect Prompts Recall
– Toyota FJ Cruiser Recall
– Chevy Cobalt Air Bag Failure Lawsuit
– Jeep Liberty Fire Class Action Lawsuit
– GM Ignition Switch Class Action Attorney
– Attorney Discusses GM Liability for Ignition-Switch Defect in Cobalt
– Saturn Ion and Sky Ignition Switch Lawsuits
– ATV Accident Attorney | All Terrain Vehicle Injuries
– Off-Highway Vehicles Crash Hazard – All-terrain vehicles
– TerraTrike Recalls Adult Tricycles-Product Liability Attorneys
– Arctic Cat Recalls Textron Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles
– Polaris Ranger Recall
– Failure to Deploy Airbag in Defective Car
– GM Cobalt and Saturn Ion Wrongful Death Lawsuits
– Seat Back Failures in Vehicles
– Defective Child Safety Seats and Restraint System Injury
– Nissan recalls cars after steering wheel fall off
– Pontiac Grand Prix Ignition Switch Lawsuit
– Bicycle Defects Cause Serious Injuries
– Jet Ski Defect Attorney
Home Supplies Recalls
– Gibson Office Depot Chair Defect Prompts Recall and Lawsuits
– Fireplace Recall Burn Injury Lawsuit Information
– Hobby Lobby Scented Candles in Glass Jars Recalled Due to Fire Hazard
– Cambridge Elevating Issues Recall for Home Elevators
– Trampoline Recall
– Ross Folding Lounge Chair Recall
– H&M Children’s Water Bottle Recalled
– Coby Flat Screen TV Recall
– Rocky Brand Steel-Toe Shoes Recall
– Red Wing Steel Toe Boot Recall
– Teavana Tumbler Defect Recall
– Asphyxiation Hazard Bunk Bed Recall
– South Shore Furniture Recalls Drawer Chest Due to Hazard
– Xtreme Outdoor Product Recalls Climbing Sticks
– Festool Plunge Cut Circular Saw Defect Recall
– Gree Dehumidifier Recall Attorney
– Bumbo Baby Seat Recall
– Ontel Isometric Product Recall Lawsuit
– Fisher-Price Recalls Baby Sleepers
– Dorel Juvenile Group USA Recalls Baby Sleepers
– Optimus Tower Quartz Heater Recall
– Crib Tent Injury Attorney
– Tech Gear 5.7 Recalls Battery-Powered Heated Socks
– Recall of Dick’s Sporting Goods’ Pull-Up Assist Equipment due to Injury Risk
– Bed Handle Recall Injury Lawsuit
– Ventlab Product Recall Attorney
– Sunbeam Ceramic Heater Recall
– Cybex Free Weight Bench Press Recall
– Glass Pendant Light Fixtures Recalls
– Playtex Hip Hammock Recall Lawsuit
– Head and Neck Support Accessories Recalled Due to Suffocation Risk
– Navien Recalls Tankless Water Heaters and Boilers
– VIVO Recalls Speaker Wall Mounts due to Injury Hazard
– Children Travel Tent’s Defective | PeaPod Tent Injuries
– Cabrinha Kiteboarding H2 Hydra Series Binding Recall
– Kids II Recalls Rocking Sleepers Due to Infant Deaths
– Defective Recalled Infant Baby Bather
– Fujifilm Adapter Plug Recall
– Bodum Starbucks Coffee Press Recalled
– Angelcare Baby Monitor Lawsuit
– Restoration Hardware Recalls
– Touch Point Baseboard Convection Heater Recalled for Defect
– Weatherbeeta Collegiate Saddle
– Embark Resistance Cord Lawsuit
– Embark Resistance Band Defect Attorney
– Air King valencia range hoods
– Stroller Defect Attorney
– Lawsuits for Ergotron TV Wall Mount Injuries
– McDonald’s Happy Meal -Toy Defect Injury
– Gel Candle Burn Injury Lawsuit
– Collapsing Card Table Chairs Sold at Walmart Causing Finger Amputations
– Weed Trimmer Defect Attorney
– Baby Sleepers Lead to Infant Fatalities
– Bumbo Baby Seat Injury Attorney
– Defective Climbing Lanyards can result in Injuries and Death
Drug, cosmetics and medical devices Recalls
– Theraflu Recall Defective of Child Resistant Caps
– Xenmatrix Surgical Mesh Attorney
– Medtronic Recalls SynchroMed Infusion Pump
– Avon Eyelash Curler Injury Lawsuit
– Ventlab Product Recall Attorney
– DePuy ASR Defect Recall Trial
– DePuy Hip Replacement Attorney
– St. Jude Heart Valve Attorney – Silzone Implant Lawsuit
– Value of Zimmer Knee Implant Lawsuits
– HeartMate II Class Action Lawsuit
– Zimmer PEEK Ardis – Recall Product Lawsuits
– Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement Attorney
– Covidien Thoracic Device Lawsuit
– Zimmer Nexgen Claim
– DePuy ASR Hip Replacement
– Ventlab Manual Resuscitator Injury Lawsuits
– Johnson and Johnson Settles First 3 DePuy Hip Replacement Cases
– Stryker Rejuvenate Hip Replacement Implant
– Cochlear Implant Defects Resulting in Harm
– Metallosis caused by Metal on Metal Hip Replacment Implant
– Ground Annatto Salmonella Prompts Recall
– Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Recall
– Trader Joe’s E-Coli Poisoning Class Action Lawsuit
– Soy Products Recalled by Wa Heng Dou Fu & Soy Sauce Corp.
– Ground Annatto Salmonella Prompts Recall By FDA
– Glass Onion Catering E-Coli Outbreak Lawsuit and Recall Info
– Cultured Kitchen Cheese Salmonella Poisoning Class Action Lawsui
– St. Jude Heart Valve Settlements
– LEM Food Dehydrator Defect Lawsuit
– Tyson Chicken Salmonella Outbreak Class Action
– Flat Creek Cheese Salmonella Outbreak
– Terbutaline Class Action Lawsuit
– Instant Soup Cup Class Action Lawsuit
Reasons to File a Class Action Lawsuit
There are many reasons that you may wish to file or join a class action lawsuit
. As stated above, because the lawsuits pertain to large groups of plaintiffs, it may be a better chance of success. A few of the most common reasons that class action lawsuits are filed can be found below.
- Premises liability: Premises liability claims pertain to safe premises or private properties. If the property owner does not take care of the premises, and injuries happen, he can be held responsible. For example, if a large group of people are in a parking garage while waiting to leave a concert, it is expected that they will be safe from harm. If the parking garage collapses because of structural damage or wear and tear that was never addressed, the injured individuals can sue for compensation with a class action premises liability claim.
- Dangerous drugs: Many pharmaceutical companies manufacture drugs targeted for specific use. These companies must gain FDA approval, but in an effort to turn profits and get as many products out onto the market as possible, they may cut corners, lie about test results, change ingredients without notification, and more. Invokana, Accutane, Byetta, and others are all examples of drugs that have led to negative results, have been taken off the market or temporarily banned, and were sued in class action claims.
- Product recalls: Product recalls are the most common type of class action claims. They can be filed when people are hurt by a product defect or error of some kind. For instance, hundreds of thousands of vehicles are manufactured each year, and there may be bunches and groups of those vehicles that are defective in some way. Individuals who buy the cars may find that the brakes lock up or do not properly work, leading to injuries in accidents. As a result, the car manufacturer can be sued by the group of plaintiffs, usually after the parts have been recalled. Other common recalls include kitchen appliances, safety gear, toys for small children, and more.
- Environmental troubles: Occasionally, companies and businesses will pollute an area and not clean up after themselves. They may let toxic waste stew in a river or they may consistently violate zoning laws. They can be targeted in a class action claim if numerous individuals are harmed as a result of the pollution. Additionally, if the government seeks to install or build something that violates laws or the rights of homeowners, a class action can be filed.
- Employment discrimination and mistreatment: Some workers in companies may suffer a ton of mistreatment and discrimination over the years. They may be sexually harassed, face racial discrimination, have their wages cut, and more. If this happens to numerous employees, it may be wise to file a class action lawsuit. Big companies often have their own lawyers and representatives to combat such attacks, so a highly skilled lawyer will be necessary for your class action lawsuit to be successful.
Pros and Cons of Class Action Lawsuits
As with all things, there are many pluses and minuses to filing a class action lawsuit. For instance, a class action lawsuit will generally have much more evidence available to present to the insurance company or to the judge. The abundance of evidence will make it easier to show fault or negligence. With solo cases, some evidence may get lost or corrupted over time, which can ruin the lawsuit. This is much less likely to happen with a class action claim and numerous plaintiffs.
Further, if a class action lawsuit is filed, it may lead to a lot of media attention and force the company to change its ways. The negative spotlight is often enough to spur a business to issue a recall and to publicly concede or apologize. These long-term effects can give plaintiffs peace of mind.
A big con of filing class action lawsuits, though, is the relatively small amount of compensation that can be received. This is because a class action claim’s settlement will be dissipated amongst the plaintiffs. Therefore, all individuals will receive a portion of the sum. It will allow those who were not as seriously hurt to be given the same amount as those who were, which may be unfair in the eyes of some plaintiffs. If you want to pursue the maximum compensation possible, your best choice is a solo claim, as you will not have to split the insurance settlement with anyone else.
How to Find a Class Action Attorney
If you wish to find a class action attorney, you should scour the internet and advertisements for an attorney who speaks to you and with whom you can identify. You do not want to enter into a working relationship with someone who is secretive or who does not make you feel comfortable. You should be trusting of your attorney and not be curious over what the next step will be or what you have to do to make sure the case is successful.
It is also recommended that you seek out the experience of the attorney. A lawyer who has worked on numerous class action claims is more likely to be victorious than an attorney who has never been involved in such a lawsuit.
For more help, you can contact our lawyers today. We have ample experience in the realm of class action claims, ranging from aviation accidents to products with too much lead in them.
Why Choose Us
If you come to the Downtown LA Law Group
for your class action lawsuit, you will not be disappointed. We promise to do everything in our power to win your claim for you and bring you and all the other plaintiffs the compensation you deserve. Our lawyers are very aggressive and relentless while pursuing damages. We do not rest until we are satisfied with the result. Further, our lawyers are known for being attentive and caring towards our clients. There is no point in time in which you should be clueless or misunderstanding the goals and progress of the claim. We will always update you and make sure you are fully aware of what is happening with your case.
For a free legal consultation, call our law offices at (888) 649-7166
today. We are available around the clock and will ensure that any details you give us will remain totally confidential and private. We will walk you through the legal process and tell you more about what to expect. We will also tell you what we believe the value of your claim is and how many others have expressed interest in a class action claim.
If you do hire us to handle your class action lawsuit, you can rest assured that your savings will not be touched throughout the process. We will only get paid if we win, and the money will come out of the settlement taken from the insurance company or individual. This is called our zero fee guarantee, which preserves your finances and savings. If we lose, we take no money at all, and you can walk away from our firm with no debt whatsoever.
To get started on your class action lawsuit or to join a class action claim
, contact our team of expert lawyers
at the Downtown LA Law Group