What Is a Class Action Lawsuit?As per the dictionary, a class action lawsuit is “an action in which a representative plaintiff sues or a representative defendant is sued on behalf of a class of plaintiffs or defendants who have the same interests in the litigation as their representative and whose rights or liabilities can be more efficiently determined as a group than in a series of individual suits.” This means that it is essentially a group of individuals taking legal action against one other party because the rights and damages can be handled better as a group. Many attorneys have seen class action lawsuits pop up against major companies over the years, and the settlements have been quite large. It is rarer for a class action lawsuit to be filed against a single individual, especially because single individuals seldom have the funds necessary to pay out a settlement or verdict for numerous individuals. Even targeting the estate may make the settlement come up quite short. A class action lawsuit will proceed with a number of plaintiffs; all potential plaintiffs will be contacted to see if they wish to join in. Individuals who wish to opt out of the class action lawsuit do not lose the ability to take legal action – that is, they do not forfeit their rights to compensation, they only choose to take action that is different and not part of a group. Generally, individuals will pursue singular personal injury claims, often with the help of one personal injury lawyer or firm.
The Ultimate Guide to Recal and Class Actions– Recall Lawsuits – Product Liability/Defective Products – What is a Class Action Lawsuit
Defective Car, Bicycle Recalls– 2011 Subaru Outback Recall Notice – Saturn Aura Lawsuit – GM Recall of Faulty Transmission Cables – GM Cobalt Ignition Switch Defect Class Action Lawsuit – Porsche GT Recall Lawsuit – GM Fail to Make a Timely Recall in The Chevy Cobalt defects – Toyota Steering Pump Defect Recall – Ford Airbag Class Action Lawsuit – Fuel Hose Recall Lawsuit – Cane Creek Bicycle Shock Recall – Takata Airbag Class Action Lawsuit – Statute of Limitations Takata Airbag Explosion Lawsuit – Quest ZRT Riding Lawnmower Defect Recall – Luxury car maker BMW and Mercedes recall – Zip Line Defect Prompts Recall – Toyota FJ Cruiser Recall – Chevy Cobalt Air Bag Failure Lawsuit – Jeep Liberty Fire Class Action Lawsuit – GM Ignition Switch Class Action Attorney – Attorney Discusses GM Liability for Ignition-Switch Defect in Cobalt – Saturn Ion and Sky Ignition Switch Lawsuits – ATV Accident Attorney | All Terrain Vehicle Injuries – Off-Highway Vehicles Crash Hazard – All-terrain vehicles – TerraTrike Recalls Adult Tricycles-Product Liability Attorneys – Arctic Cat Recalls Textron Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles – Polaris Ranger Recall – Failure to Deploy Airbag in Defective Car – GM Cobalt and Saturn Ion Wrongful Death Lawsuits – Seat Back Failures in Vehicles – Defective Child Safety Seats and Restraint System Injury – Nissan recalls cars after steering wheel fall off – Pontiac Grand Prix Ignition Switch Lawsuit – Bicycle Defects Cause Serious Injuries – Jet Ski Defect Attorney
Home Supplies Recalls– Gibson Office Depot Chair Defect Prompts Recall and Lawsuits – Fireplace Recall Burn Injury Lawsuit Information – Hobby Lobby Scented Candles in Glass Jars Recalled Due to Fire Hazard – Cambridge Elevating Issues Recall for Home Elevators – Trampoline Recall – Ross Folding Lounge Chair Recall – H&M Children’s Water Bottle Recalled – Coby Flat Screen TV Recall – Rocky Brand Steel-Toe Shoes Recall – Red Wing Steel Toe Boot Recall – Teavana Tumbler Defect Recall – Asphyxiation Hazard Bunk Bed Recall – South Shore Furniture Recalls Drawer Chest Due to Hazard – Xtreme Outdoor Product Recalls Climbing Sticks – Festool Plunge Cut Circular Saw Defect Recall – Gree Dehumidifier Recall Attorney – Bumbo Baby Seat Recall – Ontel Isometric Product Recall Lawsuit – Fisher-Price Recalls Baby Sleepers – Dorel Juvenile Group USA Recalls Baby Sleepers – Optimus Tower Quartz Heater Recall – Crib Tent Injury Attorney – Tech Gear 5.7 Recalls Battery-Powered Heated Socks – Recall of Dick’s Sporting Goods’ Pull-Up Assist Equipment due to Injury Risk – Bed Handle Recall Injury Lawsuit – Ventlab Product Recall Attorney – Sunbeam Ceramic Heater Recall – Cybex Free Weight Bench Press Recall – Glass Pendant Light Fixtures Recalls – Playtex Hip Hammock Recall Lawsuit – Head and Neck Support Accessories Recalled Due to Suffocation Risk – Navien Recalls Tankless Water Heaters and Boilers – VIVO Recalls Speaker Wall Mounts due to Injury Hazard – Children Travel Tent’s Defective | PeaPod Tent Injuries – Cabrinha Kiteboarding H2 Hydra Series Binding Recall – Kids II Recalls Rocking Sleepers Due to Infant Deaths – Defective Recalled Infant Baby Bather – Fujifilm Adapter Plug Recall – Bodum Starbucks Coffee Press Recalled – Angelcare Baby Monitor Lawsuit – Restoration Hardware Recalls – Touch Point Baseboard Convection Heater Recalled for Defect – Weatherbeeta Collegiate Saddle – Embark Resistance Cord Lawsuit – Embark Resistance Band Defect Attorney – Air King valencia range hoods – Stroller Defect Attorney – Lawsuits for Ergotron TV Wall Mount Injuries – McDonald’s Happy Meal -Toy Defect Injury – Gel Candle Burn Injury Lawsuit – Collapsing Card Table Chairs Sold at Walmart Causing Finger Amputations – Weed Trimmer Defect Attorney – Baby Sleepers Lead to Infant Fatalities – Bumbo Baby Seat Injury Attorney – Defective Climbing Lanyards can result in Injuries and Death
Drug, cosmetics and medical devices Recalls– Theraflu Recall Defective of Child Resistant Caps – Xenmatrix Surgical Mesh Attorney – Medtronic Recalls SynchroMed Infusion Pump – Avon Eyelash Curler Injury Lawsuit – Ventlab Product Recall Attorney – DePuy ASR Defect Recall Trial – DePuy Hip Replacement Attorney – St. Jude Heart Valve Attorney – Silzone Implant Lawsuit – Value of Zimmer Knee Implant Lawsuits – HeartMate II Class Action Lawsuit – Zimmer PEEK Ardis – Recall Product Lawsuits – Zimmer NexGen Knee Replacement Attorney – Covidien Thoracic Device Lawsuit – Zimmer Nexgen Claim – DePuy ASR Hip Replacement – Ventlab Manual Resuscitator Injury Lawsuits – Johnson and Johnson Settles First 3 DePuy Hip Replacement Cases – Stryker Rejuvenate Hip Replacement Implant – Cochlear Implant Defects Resulting in Harm – Metallosis caused by Metal on Metal Hip Replacment Implant
Food Recalls– Ground Annatto Salmonella Prompts Recall – Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Recall – Trader Joe’s E-Coli Poisoning Class Action Lawsuit – Soy Products Recalled by Wa Heng Dou Fu & Soy Sauce Corp. – Ground Annatto Salmonella Prompts Recall By FDA – Glass Onion Catering E-Coli Outbreak Lawsuit and Recall Info – Cultured Kitchen Cheese Salmonella Poisoning Class Action Lawsui – St. Jude Heart Valve Settlements – LEM Food Dehydrator Defect Lawsuit – Tyson Chicken Salmonella Outbreak Class Action – Flat Creek Cheese Salmonella Outbreak – Terbutaline Class Action Lawsuit – Instant Soup Cup Class Action Lawsuit
Reasons to File a Class Action LawsuitThere are many reasons that you may wish to file or join a class action lawsuit. As stated above, because the lawsuits pertain to large groups of plaintiffs, it may be a better chance of success. A few of the most common reasons that class action lawsuits are filed can be found below.
- Premises liability: Premises liability claims pertain to safe premises or private properties. If the property owner does not take care of the premises, and injuries happen, he can be held responsible. For example, if a large group of people are in a parking garage while waiting to leave a concert, it is expected that they will be safe from harm. If the parking garage collapses because of structural damage or wear and tear that was never addressed, the injured individuals can sue for compensation with a class action premises liability claim.
- Dangerous drugs: Many pharmaceutical companies manufacture drugs targeted for specific use. These companies must gain FDA approval, but in an effort to turn profits and get as many products out onto the market as possible, they may cut corners, lie about test results, change ingredients without notification, and more. Invokana, Accutane, Byetta, and others are all examples of drugs that have led to negative results, have been taken off the market or temporarily banned, and were sued in class action claims.
- Product recalls: Product recalls are the most common type of class action claims. They can be filed when people are hurt by a product defect or error of some kind. For instance, hundreds of thousands of vehicles are manufactured each year, and there may be bunches and groups of those vehicles that are defective in some way. Individuals who buy the cars may find that the brakes lock up or do not properly work, leading to injuries in accidents. As a result, the car manufacturer can be sued by the group of plaintiffs, usually after the parts have been recalled. Other common recalls include kitchen appliances, safety gear, toys for small children, and more.
- Environmental troubles: Occasionally, companies and businesses will pollute an area and not clean up after themselves. They may let toxic waste stew in a river or they may consistently violate zoning laws. They can be targeted in a class action claim if numerous individuals are harmed as a result of the pollution. Additionally, if the government seeks to install or build something that violates laws or the rights of homeowners, a class action can be filed.
- Employment discrimination and mistreatment: Some workers in companies may suffer a ton of mistreatment and discrimination over the years. They may be sexually harassed, face racial discrimination, have their wages cut, and more. If this happens to numerous employees, it may be wise to file a class action lawsuit. Big companies often have their own lawyers and representatives to combat such attacks, so a highly skilled lawyer will be necessary for your class action lawsuit to be successful.