The product liability division of our law firm is currently investigating possible class action and single party lawsuits against the manufacturers of the 32” Coby flat screen TV due to a high risk of fire hazard and significant burn injuries. Individuals who have suffered severe harm due to defective flat screen TV’s are entitled to monetary compensation for all harms suffered. Recall Information: According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission there have been more than six reports of televisions heating up and catching fire. Owners should turn off and unplug the recalled TV sets. Close to 9,000 of the Coby flat screen TV’s are to be recalled.
Proving a Defective Product Case in the Courts of Laws – What Makes if Defective:A product is defines as being defective when is fails to perform in a manner that it was originally intended. Liability is established when the failure to perform in that manner results in physical and or economic harm to the individual consumer.Generally there can be three avenues to pursues a product liability cause of action against a manufacturer..
- Defect during the research and development phase of the consumer product
- Defect in the manufacturing process so that the distributed and sold item is significantly different the its original intended design.
- Defect in the labeling of the product – failure to properly warn consumers of dangers in connection with the use of the product.
- The level and significance of the harm suffered.
- The age of the injured individual – the number of years a person will have to suffer from the injuries.
- Calculation of Economic Damages – lost wages, loss of future income, and property damage.
- Calculation of Non-Economic Damages – pain and suffering, emotional trauma, PTSD, depression, anxiety disorders resulting from the injuries suffered.
- Availability of Punitive Damages – punitive damages can be awarded where the liable party displayed the intent to cause harm or acted with reckless disregard for the life and health of consumers using the product.