Facial Nerve Trauma is one of the most common birth injuries resulting from the medical malpractice of the practicing OGBYN or Physician during the delivery process. The most common type of facial paralysis resulting from trauma during the birthing process is known as Bell’s Plasy. The birth of a child is a momentous occasion for a family; sadly in many instances the negligent medical care of doctors, nurses of other hospital staff results in serious injuries and permanent disabilities. Victims of birth trauma
are entitled to financial compensation for the losses they have suffered.
Warning sing’s and symptoms of Facial Nerve Injuries caused By Birth Trauma
: There can be numerous caused of nerve damage during the birthing process. Some of the most common are as follows.
- Improper use of the forceps during delivery
- Compression of the facial nerve against the spine during irregular vaginal births
- Improper use of the Ventouse method
- Long labor or lengthened pregnancy
- Large size of the baby
- Head of the child is proportionally larger than the rest of the body
- Diabetes of the mother
- Past history of birth trauma on the mother
- Improper use of epidural and anesthesia during the delivery process
The face is the most sensitive part of the body covered by a web of hundreds nerves controlling facial movements from the blinking of an eye to the moving of the mouth and cheeks. A short list of facial nerves which can sustain permanent damage include
- Nerves controlling Motor Functions of the Face: Including facial expression, and the stapedius muscle
- Nerves Controlling the Sensory Organs of the Face: Including taste, smell, and sight
Check also Nerve Damage After a Car Accident: Personal Injury Lawsuit Guide
How can I find out if my child suffered facial nerve damage
: There are numerous signs and symptoms of facial paralysis injuries in infants. If you suspect your child is displaying any signs of facial palsy / Bells Palsy contact a pediatrician and seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Compensation Injuries to Your Child
- Numbness of the side of the face affected
- Incomplete closure of the eye
- Uncontrollable drooling
- Sensitivity to sight and sound
- Black and blue marks across the face of a newborn
- Facial Asymmetry
- Lack of motion in the forehead
: Victims of injuries resulting from the negligent medical care of practicing doctors, anesthesiologist, obstetricians and OBGYN’s are entitled to money recoveries for losses including
Contacting an Attorney
- Medical costs including hospitalization and prescription medications
- Future medical and rehabilitation costs
- Cost of nursing and home care
- Non-economic damaged including pain and suffering, emotional distress, and punitive damages (note: the state of California imposes a $250,000 Cap on non-economic damages in Medical Malpractice lawsuits).
: If you would like to speak to a medical malpractice
attorney regarding a facial paralysis birth trauma claim contact our Law Firm by phone (888) 649-7166
or fill out a Free Case Evaluation Form here. All initial consultations with our attorneys are free of charge.
: National Institute of Health Facial Nerve Palsy due to Birth Trauma