NuvaRing Side Effects: Injuries Caused NuvaRing ContraceptivesNuvaRing is a two inch flexible ring that contains etonogestrel, which is a form of desogestrel. Estonogestrel is regarded as a third generation progestin. Estonogestre oral contraceptive increases the risk of thrombotic complications because it thickens the blood. In 2007, the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen petitioned the FDA to ban birth control products that contain desogestrel, suggesting that it doubles the risk of certain side effects compared to second generation oral contraceptives. As a consequence, the use of NuvaRing can result in several harmful side effects. Common dangerous side effects associated with the use of NuvaRing include Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Blood Clots – The alterations to the bloodstream allows the blood to clot more easily. When the blood clot originates in the leg, it can migrate to the lungs, blocking the blood vessels that carry blood to the brain. Blood clots can also originate in the blood vessels of the eyes causing permanent blindness or blurred vision. A study by the British Medical Journal concluded that woman who used NuvaRing have up to a 7.9 percent increased risk of thrombosis. Common signs and symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis in individuals who have used NuvaRing are as follows
- Swelling in the affected area
- Change in color of the skin – red, pales blue or pale skin color the affected area
- General pain and discomfort
- Paralysis in the affected region
- Liver Tumors
- Less serious side effects that may result from the use of NuvaRing are:
- Vaginal infections
- Vaginal Secretion
- Weight Gain
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Temporary infertility
- Loss of hair
NuvaRing Adverse Effects LawsuitsIndividuals who have used NuvaRing have the right to file lawsuits against the drug’s manufacturer and its subsidiaries. These companies include Organon USA, Inc., Organon Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. and Organon International, Inc. Organon and its subsidiaries, originally a Dutch pharmaceutical company, was purchased by Schering Plough. Schering Plough was later purchased in 2009 with Merck and Co., Inc. NuvaRing lawsuits are based on the claim that Organon (Now owned by Merck), the original manufacturer of the medical device-drug failed to disclose damaging evidence of health and safety consequences of the drug to the FDA and general population. Additionally, lawsuits are filed because failed to account the increased dosage of hormone that is transferred to NuvaRing users. This increased dosage heightens the risk of certain side effects compared to other forms of birth control. Deaths caused by NuvaRing: Unfortunately serious side effects and medical complications associated with the use of NuvaRing can result in death. Relatives of victims of medical fatalities have a right to monetary recovery in a Wrongful Death cause of action from all liable parties including Nuva-Ring manufacturers. Jurisdictions across the United States have different rules as to who is able to file a lawsuit for the death of a relative (family member) For example under California Wrongful Death CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION 377.60-377.62 a cause of action for wrongful death can be asserted by The decedent’s surviving spouse, domestic partner, children, and issue of deceased children, or, if there is no surviving issue of the decedent, the persons, including the surviving spouse or domestic partner, who would be entitled to the property of the decedent by intestate succession. Should I Sign on to a NuvaRing Class Action Claim: NuvaRing cases have been assigned to a multi district litigation (MDL) meaning cases from across the county will be assigned to one jurisdiction. The MDL for NuvaRing claim process was created in order to consolidate the discovery of the lawsuit, and does not require the potential plaintiffs, or victims from joining the class. In other words, the class action allows all damaging information to be combined into one courtroom. However, no class action lawsuit has been officially file against the manufacturers of NuvaRing. Therefore, if you have experienced one of the side effects as a result of taking NuvaRing, you should file as an individual lawsuit. To date, over one thousand NuvaRing lawsuits have been filed. Nine cases were selected to go to trial in February 2013 as “bellwether” or test cases. The results of these trials will heavily influence the amount and types of compensation awarded to future plaintiffs.
Attorneys representing individual injured by NuvaRingDowntown L.A. Law Group’s team of NuvaRing attorneys pursue litigation against Organon and its subsidiaries based on several causes of action such as:
- Failure to warn the public of the dangers of NuvaRing in violation of NJPLA
- Breach of Warranty
- Defective Product – Product Liability
- A Defect in the manufacturing process of the medical implant: Usually based on showing the manufactured goods was significantly different than the original intended design. In many instances medical device manufacturers attempt to lower the cost of production by using less expensive material or labor. Unfortunate such acts may lead to defective product which pose a danger to consumers.
- A Defect in the Design of the Product: Such defects in medical devices and implants can be based on a failure to properly test the design before its entry to the marketplace. In other instances medical device manufacturers fail to look at studies conducted by independent third parties which show dangerous side effects associated with the use of their products.
- Warning or Labeling Defect: In many instances defective products are based on the inability or unwillingness of the product manufactures to warn of the dangers and hazards posed by its use