Our law firm is currently investigating possible class action and single party claims against Wyeth – Pfizer for the manufacturers of the antidepressant serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRIs),medication Effexor for the development severe birth defects amongst children of mothers who took the medication during pregnancy. If your child has fell victim to serious birth defects due to the use of Effexor by the mother during pregnancy contact our law office for a confidential and free care evaluation.
Types of Congenital Defects and Abnormalities Caused by the Use of Effexor
: Various scientific studies have established a possible causal link between the taking of SSRI medication including Effexor and congenital birth defects in children of mothers who took the medication while pregnant. Some of the most common birth defects associated with the taking of Effexor are as follows…
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN)
- Other heart related malformations and congenital heart defects
- Cleft palate
- Cleft Lips
- Spina Bifida
- Down Syndrome and other congative abnormalities including Autism
Effexor Class Action Lawsuits Information
Class Action lawsuit are designed to speed up the litigation process where there are a large number of injured victims with a claim against a liable at fault party. Generally class action lawsuit must first be certified with the court where they will be tried in. Certification is based on several factors.
: There are a large number of individuals who have been harmed by the wrongful acts of the at fault pharmaceutical company.
: The victims have a similar issue of fact or law against the defendants.
: The case of the class representative is typical of the other represented members of the class action lawsuit.
: The class representative has the resources and legal representation to adequately protect the rights of the other class members.
Filing an Effexor Congenital Birth Defect Lawsuit in the Court of Law
The vast majority of dangerous antidepressant side effect lawsuits are based on a product liability cause of action. Generally there are three ways to prove the existence a product defect in the court of law.
1. Defect present in the original design of the product.
2. Defect in the manufacturing process resulting in a drug that is more dangerous than the original design approved by the FDA.
3. Defect in Labeling – failure to properly warn the consumer of all known and or knowable dangers associated with the use of the product during pregnancy and its effect on the fetus.
Compensation Available For Victims Defective Drugs Resulting in Serious Birth Defects
Children who have suffered congenital birth defects as well as their mothers and father who raise them are entitled to financial compensation for all harms that have taken place. Types of compensation available under the law are as follows…
- All medical and health related expenses.
- All future medical and rehabilitation care.
- All nursing care, home care and special education expenses.
- Pain and Suffering including emotional trauma, depression, and anxiety.
- Punitive Damages – in personal injury and defective product lawsuits punitive damages can be awarded where the pharmaceutical manufacturer fails to properly warns the consumer of all known or knowable dangers associated with the use of the product.
: Our attorneys are available for a free no cost consultation regarding your child’s possible claim against manufacturers of the antidepressant drug Effexor. If you have any further legal questions feel free to contact our law offices toll free (855)385-2529.
FDA Warning Letter for Effexor