Bicycle accidents are a leading cause of brain injuries and facial injuries amongst children and adults. A bicycle helmet is designed to prevent severe brain injuries amongst riders. However even with the proper use of bicycle helmets accident victims may still suffer from traumatic brain injuries and facial injuries. More so defective helmets often increase the risk of brain and facial injuries amongst riders. If you have been injures in a bicycle accident as a result of a defective helmet design or improper manufacturing of the helmet contact the Product Liability Personal Injury Attorneys at Downtown LA Law Group. We offer all prospective clients a free case evaluation by an experience and knowledgeable product liability – personal injury lawyer.
Common Brain injuries from bicycle accidents include
Bicycle Helmet Design Defects:
Helmet manufacturers are often burdened by a need to make their products look marketable. In the ever increasing design conscious consumer base manufacturers push the limits of product design safety. design elements that have dramatically increased over the past decade include (1) increasingly thinner helmets and (2) helmets with holes for an aerodynamic look. However such design have been shown to decrease helmet safety and increase the probability of catastrophic head injuries including traumatic brain damage. In many other instances helmet manufacturers use less expensive material with less absorption capabilities than the more expensive variety. Impact Attenuation: One way to determine the efficacy of a helmet design is via its “impact attenuation” . If the material of a helmet fails to absorb the force of an impact then a traumatic head injury may result. Chinstrap Failure on Bicycle helmets: In many instances the helmet chin strap fail and the helmet flies of the head of the rider during an accident. If chin straps are proved to be defective in design of manufacturing then a product liability claim can be established. What should I do after a Bicycle Accident if I believe my helmet was defective?
- Always take care of your well being: If injured seek medical attention as soon as possible. The quicker you seek medical representation the greater the chance of recovery.
- Document where the helmet was with respect to where you where you were after the accident. If you have a camera take pictures of the placement of the helmet.
- If the helmet has cracked open take pictures, and gather the fallen pieces.
- Do not destroy or throw out your helmet.
- Do not alter the helmet in any way including the helmet buckle and or chin strap
- If there are any witnesses attempt to get their information including their names and addresses
- Keep all your medical records
- Don not speak to an insurance adjuster until you have spoken to a personal injury attorney
What compensation can I receive for injuries due to a defective helmet?
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses include all medical bills and costs, including those incurred in the emergency room, hospital visits, doctor visits, MRI testing facility, radiologists, chiropractors, dentists, or any other treating professional that was necessitated as a result of your injury.
- Future Medical Expenses: Unfortunately, the effects an accident can often be felt for months, years, or even a lifetime after the injury occurred. We will work with doctors and other medical specialist to establish the full amount of any future medical expenses to make sure you are adequately compensated for these damages.
- Lost Wages: After an accident, you are entitled to any income you lost. Even if you were unemployed before the accident a Personal Injury Lawyer may be able to procure lost wages damages by demonstrating what you could have earned but for your herniated disc injury.
- Loss of Earning Capacity: In addition to current lost wages, victims of car accidents are eligible to receive compensation for future lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: A victim of herniated disc injury can further be compensated for mental suffering that could include fright, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, anxiety, depression, trauma, grief or feelings of distress.
California Injured Personal Attorneys representing Victims of Bicycle Accidents and Helmet Defects It is important for your attorney understands the extent of your injuries employs the proper experts to determine whether a helmet design of manufacturing defect was a contributing cause of your injuries. Downtown LA Law Group: We are a full service plaintiff’s law firm. We are compassionate litigators fighting for the rights of our clients. Our helmet defect attorneys can help with your case. Contact us today for a free case evaluation or a second opinion. Remember: It is crucial to act quickly before any limitations can lower or extinguish your rightful claim. Call us for a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys regarding your claim: (855) 339-8879