Contrary to popular belief, the city or state is not solely responsible for sidewalks and accidents that happen because of defects and cracks. Businesses and homeowners are also responsible for any accidents that occur on sidewalks that are adjacent to their properties
. They use the sidewalk for numerous daily activities, such as allowing customers into their establishments
, taking out trash
, and more, and they must keep the area clean or face fines. As a result, the property owner has a duty to individuals who walk by
. In the event of a slip and fall
, the owner or manager can be held responsible for the ensuing damages, especially if he played a part in the incident by acting with negligence or overlooking damages. If you were hurt in a slip and fall incident on a sidewalk
, contact our team of skilled lawyers at the Downtown LA Law Group in Los Angeles. We will be glad to represent you and can make sure that you are fairly paid for your damages.
Accidents on Sidewalks
Those who own businesses or other properties are responsible for the land they directly own
, but they also have a duty to care for the immediate land in front of their locations. Sidewalks
, for example, must be properly and adequately maintained
by property owners, and to a certain extent, sidewalks and the street. One of the universal rules is that the sidewalk should be kept free of hazards
, such as debris, and that it should be repaired if there are any cracks or holes in it
Property owners also must make sure that inclement weather does not negatively impact people who use the sidewalk. A snowstorm could result in ice building up on the sidewalk, while some rain may mix with grease and oil and make the walking areas slick.
Many individuals may not be aware that the property owner has a responsibility for caring for the sidewalk
. However, other parties can also be responsible, such as construction crews.
Some of the most common reasons for trip and falls can be attributed to cracks
and raised sections of the sidewalk, tree roots, uncleared dirt
and debris, wet leaves
, and more.
There are numerous injuries that you can sustain if you fall on the sidewalk. These could be compounded if you fall into the street, down a staircase, or onto hard pavement. Some examples include:
Of course, some injuries may be minor and not have lasting damages, but if you were badly hurt, you cannot expect to pay for all the expenses yourself. You should take legal action against the property owner who was negligent in his duties of caring for the sidewalk.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (888) 649-7166.
Negligence of a Property Owner
In order for you to be able to sue a property owner for negligence concerning your fall on a sidewalk, you must be able to show that the hazard was his fault. The laws of premises liability can be viewed as such:
- The owner caused the hazard to exist on the sidewalk
- The owner knew the hazard existed and did nothing to remedy the issue
- The owner should have reasonably known that the hazard existed as any other careful property owner would have
Most often, the situation is the third option, but it is also the hardest to prove. Property owners may not constantly check on the sidewalk in front of their businesses
, especially if they have managers who take care of day to day activities and maintenance. Not doing so, though, can be cause for negligence. A negligence-based premises liability case must fulfill the following points:
- You were owed a duty of care by the property owner
- The duty of care was breached by the property owner not adequately or sufficiently taking care of the sidewalk
- The breach of duty led to an accident, such as a trip and fall
- The accident resulted in physical injuries
If you intend to file a lawsuit, the fourth point is crucial. Physical injuries must have been present if you wish to receive compensation in the form of a personal injury claim. Our lawyers can ensure that you are helped in the most reliable manner.
Steps to Take after a Slip and Fall
It is often frustrating in the wake of a slip and fall accident, especially if you were seriously hurt. You will likely be angry that there was a problem with the sidewalk and scared for your health. As long as you have access to a phone or someone nearby can call for help, you will be safe. If you follow these steps, you will also be protected for when you choose to pursue legal action.
- Immediately seek medical attention for your injuries. The paramedics can come and treat you at the scene or transport you to the hospital. Some people get right back up and do not go to the doctor at all; this is a crucial error, and it can prevent you from receiving the compensation you deserve. Your injuries may not appear immediately, so a doctor’s visit is extremely important. The longer that you wait, the more likely it will be that the property owner will claim that you were hurt in an incident separate from the sidewalk fall, and you are merely trying to place your blame elsewhere.
- Take pictures of the sidewalk and the scene of the accident to document the defect, crack, debris, hazard, or whatever else is relevant to your case. You should have ample photographs and videos as evidence.
- Photograph your injuries to show the extent of your damages from the fall.
- Take down the personal information and insurance details of the property owner so you can contact him and his insurance company to pursue a claim.
- Contact a qualified slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles so your claim will be properly handled. Many individuals try to file claims with no legal help and wind up out of luck with rejected lawsuits and lost cases. Enlisting the help of a professional attorney will benefit you in numerous ways.
Call (888) 649-7166 to set up a free, no obligation consultation to find out if you have a case.
The Ultimate Guide to Sidewalk Accidents
– Slip and Fall accidents
– Accidents on Sidewalks
– Defective sidewalk attorneys
– Uneven Sidewalk Accidents
– Can I Sue If I Fall On Broken Or Uneven Sidewalk?
– Who Is Responsible When I Trip On The Sidewalk?
– Cracked Sidewalk Accident
Time Limit on Your Lawsuit
It is important that you file a claim as quickly as possible to ensure that all of your evidence remains intact and that there are no large gaps between the injuries and the treatment you receive. In California, there’s a statute of limitations of 2 years from the date of the injury
, after which you won’t be able to file a claim.
The deadline exists so that each party has ample time to prepare for the case and because waiting too long is unfair for all involved. Evidence may get corrupted or lost, the establishment may go out of business, and the injuries you suffered may have been so minor that pursuing compensation years later is not worth it.
However, it is important to understand that the statute of limitations is different for any government or municipal buildings
and land. In this case, you only have 6 months from the time of the injury to take action. If the government agency denies your claim, you then have 2 years to file a civil case. You must go through the agency first before you can take additional action.
You may be eligible for an exception to the statute of limitations if your circumstances allow it. For example, you may have been underage when you slipped and fell, so your statute of limitations would begin counting down from the day you turned 18. The property owner may have left the state for a period of time, so the deadline would be changed to reflect the date he returned.
Speak with a lawyer for more information on if you have enough time to file your claim. We will make sure that all necessary documents are submitted on time.
Compensation You Can Receive
A slip and fall lawsuit against a property owner can result in numerous kinds of compensation for your damages. You should not be forced to pay for any expenses resulting from the incident; the property owner or building manager can be held responsible for your bills and debts. A personal injury claim can net you the following:
- Coverage for medical expenses (surgery, hospitalization, anesthesiologist, x-ray costs, physical therapy, medication, etc) from the past and future
- Lost income from the past and future
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering (PTSD, anxiety, psychological trauma, fear, emotional scarring)
The Ultimate Guide to Slip & Fall Accidents
– Slip and Fall accidents
– Nerve Damage from Slip and Fall Accident
– Legal Questions Regarding a Slip and Fall Claim
– Supermarket Slip and Fall Injury Attorney
– Hospital Slip and Fall Accident
– Brain Injury Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
– Top 10 Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
– Due to Leaking Air Conditioner
– Wedding Slip and Fall Accidents
– Defective sidewalk accident
– Miscarriage Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
– Bowling Alley Injuries
– Slip and Fall FAQ
– Average Slip and Fall Lawsuit Settlement
– Workplace Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
– Slip and Fall Accidents on Sidewalks
– Slip and Fall Accidents in Restaurants
– Who Is Responsible For Sidewalk Maintenance
A skilled attorney at Downtown LA Law Group can make sure that you are given the necessary help you need to win your claim.
How DTLA Helps
Our lawyers at the Downtown LA Law Group are dedicated professionals who have been involved with slip and fall cases
for years. We know the best methods to winning your claim, whether it involves targeting a business in a lawsuit or taking legal action against a government entity. We promise that you are in the safest hands when you choose us. Our aggressive attorneys are willing to take your case to court if we feel that the settlement offer is not sufficient. For us, your health and safety is our primary concern, and we will always keep in touch with you to check up.
If you have any questions, you can call our offices at (888) 649-7166
to set up a free legal consultation. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we are glad to give you legal advice and clear anything up.
Further, our firm will grant you our zero fee guarantee if you choose us to represent you. We will not ask you to pay any fees throughout the case; if we win, our expenses will be taken from the settlement or verdict we bring you. If we lose, you owe us nothing at all. We do not want your finances to be impacted by your decision to pursue a lawsuit, so we take care of the legal costs.
To learn more about filing a sidewalk slip and fall lawsuit
, get in touch with a top-rated lawyer at the Downtown LA Law Group in Los Angeles.