Spinal Cord injuries are amongst the most tragic in our society. Tragic accidents including auto accidents, motorcycle crashes, workplace accidents, and slip and falls often result in quadriplegia and paraplegia with the individual being unable to walk, or unable to use hands and fingers, or worse yet unable to use any of his extremities. Such injuries bring lifelong pain and suffering for the individual involved as well as his loved ones. The financial and emotional costs to the victims of Spinal Cord Injury and their loved ones can be drastic. Our Law Firm is dedicated to protecting the rights of Spinal Cord Injury Victims by providing expert legal representation so that a full and just monetary recovery can be received. For More information regarding our Law Firm visit this page.
What is a Spinal Cord Injury
: Technically A spinal cord injury is damage to the spinal cord resulting in the loss of motor function including mobility of the arms, legs, fingers, or a loss feeling in those extremities. Spinal Cord injuries are mainly cause by Traffic Accidents. According to spinal cord injury statistics by NSCISC
46% of all spinal cord injuries are caused by Motor Vehicle Accidents. Other significant causes of spinal cord injuries include
- Assault and Battery and other acts of Violence including gun shots and use of deadly force
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Sports Injuries
- Boating Accidents
- Defective Products
- Workplace injuries
Often Spinal Cord injuries are accompanied by other major injuries including traumatic brain damage, neck and back injuries, broken legs, and facial fractures.
There are numerous types of spinal cord injury (SCI) –
Some of the most common types of spinal cord injury are as follows
- Paralysis – The loss of the ability to move a part of or most of the body due to spinal injury
- Quadriplegia (teraplegia) – Loss of movement over all four limbs of the body
- Paraplegia – Loss of movement and sensation of the legs and lower body
- Partial Paralysis – Partial immobility of a limbs, fingers or toes, due to spinal cord damage.
- Spinal Contusions – Bruising of the spinal column
- Damage to the Central Cord Resulting in Central Cord Syndrome (CCS)
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury – This injury results in a lower level of functioning in the limbs.
Significant facts regarding Spinal Cord Injuries:
Spinal Cord injuries affect hundreds of thousands of person in the United States. Here are some significant facts and statistics regarding spinal cord injuries.
- 250,000 currently suffer spinal cord damage in the United States.
- The ration of Quadriplegics and Paraplegics are about 50/50
- Most spinal cord injury victims are male around 80% versus 20% females
- The average age of a spinal cord damage victim is 30
- African Americans are twice as likely to suffer a spinal cord injuries in comparison to the general population
- Individuals with Spinal Cord Injuries need to receive routine health evaluations for SCI and non-SCI related health needs for the screening of secondary impairment and further disabilities.
What to do if you have sustained a spine injury in an auto accident:
Below are some steps to be taken if you have been involved in an auto accident. For more in depth information on what to do
in an auto accident.
- Make sure you and those around you are safe.
- If injured seek medical attention immediately.
- Do not attempt to talk with the other driver regarding fault or apologies.
- Contact the local police department and report the motor vehicle accident.
- Never argue with other drivers regarding fault.
- Don’t be shy: If possible take down the driver’s license number, license plate, registration and insurance information of the other party.
- Contact an Attorney before you speak to any insurance agents – A top California Spine Injury lawyer adept in fighting insurance companies and protecting your right to compensation will be able to substantially increase the amount of compensation you receive for your damages and injuries.
- Heal you wounds and get better; fighting insurance companies and defendants is OUR JOB. We will make you receive the maximum compensation for your loss.
The financial cost of Spinal Cord Injury: Medical Health Complications of SCI
There are numerous medical health complications cause by spinal cord injuries which require extended lifelong medical assistance and nursing care. Some of the most common medical complications and requirements are as follows.
- Respiratory and neurological disabilities including the complete loss of bladder control, bowel control, and mechanism required to breath.
- Deficit in the ability to groom, eat, dress, and bathe, requiring nursing and home care.
- Transportation needs including drivers, alteration or addition to vehicles or the purchase of new vehicle adapted to SCI use.
- Bed and Wheelchair mobility including moving the SCI victim to an fro beds, wheelchairs, seats and couches in the home
- Regular homemaking needs – Washing, cleaning, laundry service, showering.
As a result of all the overall medical and daily home care Spinal Cord Injuries become very expensive for the individual and his family with an average lifetime cost of a paraplegic ranging between $1.2 and $2.00 million dollars.
Should I sue for my Injuries
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury in a car accident or any other accident, you must first tend to your wounds and heal your injuries. Seeking vindication of your rights is our job
. At Downtown LA Law Group our dedicated Attorneys are skilled and knowledgeable in spinal cord injury laws and neck/back injuries.
Our aggressive and tenacious Injury Lawyers will keep on the offensive until they make sure you have been fully compensated for your injuries and vindicated for your loss. We will go to trial and take on liable drivers and their insurance carriers’ so that your rights are protected.
The Ultimate Guide to Paraplegia and Quadriplegia Injuries
Quadriplegia Injury Lawyer
What is my quadriplegic case worth
Los Angeles Paraplegia attorney
Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit
Paralysis Injury Attorney
What to do after a Spinal Cord Injury
Nerve Damage Surgical Malpractice Attorney
Value of a Spinal Cord Injury Case
Increase the value of Quadriplegic case
Who do I contact if I have been injured by Car hitting me while walking?
If you are in need of legal assistance regarding a personal injury claim contact our Law Offices. We will take care of every legal detail and make sure you achieve the highest compensation possible for your loss; in the meantime, concentrate on the most important part of this process – your recovery
. Remember that it is crucial to act quickly after you’ve been injured to report any car collision accident claim before any limitations can lower or extinguish your rightful claim
. Call us for a free consultation
with one of our neck and spinal cord injury lawyers regarding your accident:
Further Information Regarding Spinal Cord Injuries:
– SPINAL CORD INJURY FAQ
– What Should I Do?
– Statute of Limitations