The Ultimate Guide of Spinal Cord Injuries
– SPINAL CORD INJURY
– SPINAL CORD INJURY FAQ
– What Should I Do?
– Statute of Limitations
SPINAL CORD INJURY (SCI) FAQ
1. What is the function of a Spinal Cord?
The spinal cord is a pathway for your brain to be able to communicate with the entire body. Think of it as a highway for your brain telling your body what to do. If a spinal cord injury takes place the line of communication between the brain and parts of your body will be severed, resulting in a loss of function.
2. What is a Spinal Cord Injury or (SCI)
Technically A spinal cord injury
is damage to the spinal cord resulting in the loss of motor function including mobility of the arms, legs, fingers, or a loss feeling in those extremities. Spinal Cord Injured can lead to a person being quadriplegic or paraplegic.
3. What Are the Main Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries:
Spinal Cord injuries are mainly cause by Car Accidents and Acts of Violence including gun shots, or assault &battery and other violent crimes. Other major causes of spinal cord injuries are,
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Sports Injuries
- Boating Accidents
- Defective Products
4. What is paralysis?
Paralysis is a partial or complete loss of body functions, especially when involving movement and motor functions. The loss of sensation in the body part is also a sign of paralysis.
5. Can someone be cured of Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI)
Based on current science in the medical field the answer is NO. The central nervous system is not able to repair itself in case of a traumatic injury. Scientists and medical professionals have attempted many methods but have not yet achieved the ultimate goal of reducing the damage caused to the spinal cord in an accident. Regeneration attempts via the use of genetic modification and cell rejuvenation may hold the key to helping those who suffer from quadriplegia and paraplegia recover.
6. How is a person’s sex life altered because of a Spinal Cord Injury?
In most instances a persons sexuality is greatly affected by a SCI Spinal Cord Injury sicne the central nervous system control the functions of human sex organs. The degree of loss of sexuality will be based on the severity of injury to the spine. Loss of sensation is one element showing there is a spinal cord injury that has taken place.
Loss of consortium is a claim that your spouse may have as a result of the alteration in your sex life with your partner.
7. Is there a statute of limitation for my Spinal Cord Injury Claim
The statute of limitations for a Spinal cord Injury Claim depends in what caused the injury. For Example Negligence action carried a Two Year Statute of limitations. In California Statute of Limitations refers to the law which limits the amount of time within which a victim involved in a car accident may bring about legal proceedings. In the state of California, an individual has TWO YEARS in which to file a lawsuit for their damages resulting in a personal injury claim.
8. Should I sue for My Spinal Cord Injury
If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury in a car accident or any other accident or because of an act of violence, you must first tend to your wounds and heal your injuries. Seeking vindication of your rights is our job
. At Downtown LA Law Group our Los Angeles Pedestrian Injury Spinal Cord Attorneys are skilled and knowledgeable in spinal cord injury laws and neck/back injuries.
Our aggressive and tenacious Injury Lawyers will keep on the offensive until they make sure you have been fully compensated for your injuries and vindicated for your loss. We will go to trial and take on liable drivers and their insurance carriers’ so that your rights are protected.
9. Who do I contact if I have been injured by Car hitting me while walking?
If you need a Los Angeles Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer or an Orange County Spinal Cord Injury Attorney we can help. We will take care of every legal detail and make sure you achieve the highest compensation possible for your loss; in the meantime, concentrate on the most important part of this process – your recovery
Learn more about your legal options: call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
WHAT TO DO AFTER A SPINAL CORD INJURY
- Make sure you and those around you are safe. Safety is the most important thing in life. If you or another person is injured immediately seek medical attention. In many situations you may not be aware of serious injuries that you have sustained because of the shock of the accident. Even if you believe you have not been injurer you should get a checkup with a medical professional.
- Do not attempt to talk with the other party regarding fault or apologies. Any words you may have said can be used against you when you are seeking compensation for your damages and injuries. Even politeness can be used against you.
- File an Accident Report: Contact the local police department and report the injury and accident. If you have a trusted personal injury car accident lawyer contact him if you have any questions regarding the process.
- Never argue with other drivers regarding. If any argument takes place simply walk away to lessen the chances of a physical confrontation.
- Don’t be shy: if there are witnesses who can testify on your behalf asked them for their contact information.
- Be Careful Who You Talk To – if the other party’s insurance company contacts you, your best response is to get in touch with a car accident injury attorney and ask him to speak with the other party’s agents.
- Never automatically accept the first estimate or offer you get – jumping the gun on the settlement can be a costly mistake. Contact a car accident attorney who is skilled an adept in negotiating with insurance companies. If insurance companies play hardball a skilled aggressive Los Angeles Car Accident lawyer will take the defendant to litigation and trial.
- Always Keep Records of your Hospital Expenses; including all medications prescribed, and a list of all your doctors and the corresponding treatment centers you visited, such records will go a long way to helping you obtain the compensation for your injuries and pain and suffering you deserve.
- Get yourself a skilled Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer – A Los Angeles Spinal Cord attorney adept in fighting insurance companies and protecting your right to compensation will be able to substantially increase the amount of compensation you receive for your damages and injuries.
- Heal your wounds and get better; fighting insurance companies and defendants is OUR JOB. We will make you receive the maximum compensation for your loss.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call (888) 649-7166 today.
Spinal Cord Injury Laws – Statute of Limitations
Statute of Limitations refers to the law the limits the amount of time within which a victim involved in a car accident may bring about legal proceedings. In the state of California, an individual has TWO YEARS
in which to file a lawsuit for their damages resulting in a car accident or any other accident leading to a spinal cord injury.
Although failure to file a claim within the statutory period could result in barring your claim, there are certain exceptions. Although the statutory period begins to run on the date of the accident, exceptions will be made in situations where the injured party was mentally incompetent or incapable of filing a claim. Furthermore, the statutory period is extended for minors under the age of 18. The minor has until their eighteenth birthday, plus the statutory period of 2 years to file the suit lastly, the statutory period may be extended where an injury is unknown, but is later discovered.
Additionally, if the claim is a Personal Injury action against public agency, it must be made within 180 days from the date of the car accident. Also, the claim must first be filed and denied before a lawsuit can be commenced.
It is imperative that you call a Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
at Downtown LA Law Today so that your time doe not run out.
The Ultimate Guide to Paraplegia and Quadriplegia Injuries
Quadriplegia Injury LawyerWHO’S AT FAULT
What is my quadriplegic case worth
Los Angeles Paraplegia attorney
Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit
Paralysis Injury Attorney
What to do after a Spinal Cord Injury
Nerve Damage Surgical Malpractice Attorney
Value of a Spinal Cord Injury Case
Increase the value of Quadriplegic case
In California, the negligent party is responsible for the injuries incurred during a car accident or an action leading to permanent spinal cord injury. A person acts negligently when that individual fails to act in a manner expected of a reasonably prudent person acting under similar circumstances. In relation to car accidents, negligence requires the demonstration of:
- A party was careless, and that carelessness was the direct and proximate cause of the car crash
- The car crash caused some sort of physical or property damage
- The careless party is responsible for the damages
At Downtown LA Law, our Car Accident Attorneys use every means possible to establish fault including police reports, eyewitness testimony, expert witnesses, photos, role playing and computer technology.
California Follows Pure Comparative Negligence
In many spinal injury accidents, fault is not black and white. In other words, there are several situations where more than one party is at fault. The question then arises as to what should be done. In the past, even if a party is 1% at fault, they would be barred from any recovery, even though they barely contributed to the accident. California now adopts a pure comparative negligence model.
Under this theory, the injured party in a car accident will still recover damages in an accident, even if that party carries partial blame. Once the portion of fault is determined, that party is entitled to recover in proportion to the other party’s fault.
At DT LA Law, our spinal cord injury law firm
does not recover unless there is a recovery for our clients. We work on a contingency basis, and make sure to maximize your recover. For a Free Consultation call us (888) 649-7166
Spinal Cord Injury Statistics
- 82% of spinal cord victims are male
- The Average age of the injured victim is 32
- Nearly 40% of all Spinal Cord Injuries result from Car Accident
- Sports incidents account from 8% of injuries with more than 2/3rds of those being from diving accidents