Small neighborhood food markets are not uncommon in the Los Angeles area. The variety offered in these markets can be attributed to the vast mix of cultures present in the region. And many of the local markets are focused on meeting the unique dietary needs of these community members. One of the more popular segments of the population to require specific food items to meet their religious beliefs are those choosing to live a kosher lifestyle.
A number of kosher markets are located in the city, including:
- La Brea Kosher Market at 410 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Ariel Glatt Kosher Market at 304 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Santa Monica Kosher Market at 11540 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Western Kosher Supermarket 4817 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90019
- Western Kosher Supermarket 444 N Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Shoppers searching for genuine kosher offerings will appreciate these markets’ vast inventory and easy access. However, it is essential for consumers also to understand that when entering these kosher markets, it is likely they will encounter significantly greater potential of suffering a slip and fall injury accident than if they shopped at a local supermarket. Sadly, the limited space in neighborhood kosher markets, the need to compete with larger stores with more inventory, and the challenges of staffing a small business all contribute to significant slip and fall risks in these locations.
If you or a loved one has recently suffered a kosher market slip and fall injury, the staff at DTLA Law Group is here to help. Our expert staff is reachable 24/7 to ensure you have the legal guidance and answers you need at any hour of the day or night. And we are also proud to offer every slip and fall injury victim a free consultation with an expert kosher market slip and fall attorney. So don’t hesitate to get in touch with our office today to begin to better understand your rights and how to protect them today and in the future.
How Can My Neighborhood Kosher Market Be Filled With Safety Issues?
Sadly, many of the most common safety issues shoppers face in a kosher market could easily be eliminated if the staff would dedicate more time and effort to customer safety. Many of the potential risks are minor hazards that could be eliminated or removed by employees in only a minute or two to prevent patrons from suffering severe injuries that could alter the rest of their lives.
Some of these common safety hazards include:
- Food or drinks that are spilled on the floor but not mopped up promptly
- Ice that is dropped on the floor and will quickly become a hard to see puddle of water
- Merchandise that has fallen from the shelves or displays and spilled hazardous items on the floor, like rice, dried beans, flour, salt, kitty litter, pet food, or coffee beans
- Paper litter on the floor, including straw wrappers, napkins, advertisements, coupons, or receipts
- Produce that feel from a display and was stepped on, creating a sticky and slippery mess
- Merchandise that fell from displays or shelves and was left on the floor
- Water on the floor near the entrance due to saturated or missing floor mats, folded or damaged floor mats
- Poorly marked or unmarked transitions in flooring surfaces
- Damaged or missing handrails at steps or ramps
- Puddles of water on the floor due to leaking water lines, damaged plumbing fixtures, or leaking coolers
- Wet floors after mopping that do not display caution or warning signs to alert customers of wet floors and the need for added care
The most upsetting part of these safety risks is that they could all have been eliminated or prevented if the kosher market staff had followed the guidelines in duty of care law to provide a safe and hazard-free shopping space for their customers.
Understanding Kosher Market’s Duty Of Care
Duty of care is part of premises liability and defines the level of maintenance and care business owners must provide patrons. The purpose is to ensure a safe store through regular visual inspections and simple tasks to remove safety concerns before anyone suffers a kosher market slip and fall accident injury.
The level of care required is actually very reasonable. It is defined as the same level of attention and care the average person provides. As an example of what you should be able to expect in a kosher market, think about how you or the average person would react to water spilled on the floor. The common response is to mop up the water to prevent a severe injury. In addition, the average person would remove trash from the floor to avoid a slip and fall injury accident. That action is also expected of the staff at the kosher market.
If the kosher market employees do not meet this basic level of care, they are negligent in their duty of care. If a patron suffers a slip and fall injury due to the kosher market staff’s negligence, the owner of the market could be liable for the victim’s damages and losses. Your kosher market slip and fall attorney at DTLA Law Group will discuss how these requirements apply to your injuries and if you have reason for a kosher market lawsuit.
How Much Is A Kosher Market Lawsuit Worth?
All personal injury lawsuits are valued based on the expenses and losses suffered by the victim. In the case of your slip and fall in a kosher market, your legal team would assist you in compiling all the costs you can include in your claim against the kosher market. The typical expenses include:
- All medical costs related to the injuries suffered in the kosher market slip and fall incident
- The cost of legal fees for the kosher market lawsuit
- Any lost wages if your injuries prevent you from working while you heal
- The value of any damaged personal property
In cases with severe injuries, it is common to include a dollar amount to compensate you for the pain and suffering caused by your slip and fall injuries. The amount is based on the severity of the injuries and the time needed to recover. Your DTLA Law Group kosher market slip and fall attorney will assist you in determining an amount that is appropriate for your injuries based on their years of expertise and experience.
Common Kosher Market Slip And Fall Injuries
Ideally, every injury victim would escape with only minor scrapes or bruises from a fall in a kosher market. However, that is not the typical outcome. Instead, many of the injuries are severe due to the impact with shopping carts, store shelving, display units, and the concrete floor. The most common injuries include:
- Damage to the spinal cord
- Facial damage to the skin, nose, mouth, teeth, eyes, or ears
- Puncture wounds or severe lacerations that often include damage to internal organs and internal bleeding
- Completely dislocated joints or damage to the joint
- Fractured or broken bones
- Soft tissue and nerve damage
- Head injuries, including a fractured skull, concussion, brain hemorrhage or contusion, or other traumatic brain injuries
In many cases, the victim suffers multiple injuries that can alter the rest of their life. In addition to the physical trauma, these slip and fall injury victims also suffer severe financial hardships, emotional issues, stress, anxiety, and depression due to an accident that could have been prevented if the staff at the kosher market had followed the duty of care guidelines expected of all businesses.
The Statute Of Limitations For A Kosher Market Slip And Fall Injury Lawsuit
As a slip and fall victim, you could have the option to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the kosher market where you were injured. Under California law, you must have the claim filed with the court system no later than two years from the date of the incident. If you wait longer than two years, the claim will likely be denied. However, you can file the case as soon after the incident as you and your kosher market slip and fall attorney feel are prudent.
Getting The Best Kosher Market Slip And Fall Attorney For Your Lawsuit
The team at DTLA Law Group has decades of combined experience protecting the rights of personal injury victims like yourself. In addition, we are dedicated to ensuring that all victims have the legal guidance and services they deserve. So we never charge any upfront legal fees that might make it challenging for you to have the expert representation you need to get the compensation owed to you. We only get paid after we have delivered the funds necessary to pay your legal and medical expenses.
In addition, if we do not win your case, you owe us nothing for our time and effort. We know there is no better way to demonstrate our dedication to seeking justice for you and showing our confidence in the strength of your case. So please get in touch with the DTLA Law Group today to discuss your slip and fall injuries and losses with an expert kosher market slip and fall attorney. If your case has legal merit, we will advise you on how to proceed with our expert representation, with no need for legal fees coming out of your household budget.