Thousands of individuals are killed every year in fatal pedestrian accidents. Los Angeles County’s busy and wide streets and roadways pose a great danger to pedestrians.
Cities such as Long Beach, San Pedro, Palos Verdes, Torrance and Carson have experienced a recent rise in pedestrian related accidents.
Crosswalks are designed to aid in getting pedestrians across busy streets and roadways in safety. All too often motorists fail to abide by road safety laws in the form of speeding through traffic signals or ignoring pedestrians. Such acts result in pedestrian accidents which can lead to serious injuries and fatalities. Other factors which may contribute to crosswalk include,
- Negligent or distracted driving
- Defective Roadway Conditions
- Defective Crosswalk Signals and Traffic Lights
- Driving Under The Influence – Drunk Driving
- Text messaging while operating a motor vehicle on public roads
- Drowsy driving
Possible at fault parties in a Crosswalk accident include the driver of the motor vehicle, employer liability if the accident took place during the drivers time at work, government agencies such as Caltrans for negligent maintenance of the roadways, street signs, crosswalk paint and traffic lights, and vehicle manufacturers for defective cars resulting in the tragic incident.
Learn more about your legal options Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
There is a high risk of serious bodily injuries resulting from vehicles striking pedestrians. Some common pedestrian accident injuries are as follows
Fatalities in Pedestrian Accidents
- Head Trauma resulting in permanent brain damage
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Neck Injuries
- Broken and fractured bones: Of particular significant is a hip bone fracture which is frequent in such accidents
- Skull Fractures,
- Facial Fractures; including broken noses
- Femur Fractures
- Cracked Ribs: Rib Fractures
- Hip Fractures and Pelvis Fractures
- Crushed Arms and Finger fractures
- Foot Fractures
- Collar Bone Fractures
- Femoral Neck Fractures
- Simple Fractures and Compound fractures.
- Fractures to the Wrist
- Fibula Fractures
- Children are at most risk of grave harm because of their small size and inability of driver to see the child because of his height
- Facial Lacerations
- Permanent Scarring and disfigurement
- Broken Nose
- Internal bleeding
- Internal Oran Failure
- Soft Tissues Injuries
- Fatal Crosswalk accidents
: Certain family members of the deceased individual are entitled to compensation for the death of their close relative. There are certain statutory limitations however which can limit the amount of compensation received by such individuals. For example in the State of California relives of an individual killed due to the wrongful act of another are not entitled to Pain ans Suffering damages.
How to Prove Pedestrian Accident Liability in Court
In order to receive compensation, a victim will have to show the defendant driver was negligent in the operation of his vehicle. In many instances negligence is placed on the auto manufacturer for defective produce, truck companies the driver was working for and city public transportation agencies for Bus collisions with pedestrians. Usually Negligence is established through any of the below:
- Failure to maintain dangerous equipment
- Distracted Driving
- Failure to Stop or Yield at a Red Light or Cross Walk
- Speeding or unsafe driving of any kind
- Driving under the influence [DWI or DUI] In cases of death this can lead to a Felony DUI Charge.
- Failure to maintain roads
- Negligent hiring practices or training by trucking companies and Public transportation agencies
- Lack of Sleep, Sleep Deprivation because of grueling schedule, Driver fatigue
We understand that a serious injury or a death of a family member is tragedy for all loved ones. We offer our skilled legal staff to represent you in your case. We possess the knowledge and determination to maximize the compensation for your injuries you deserve.
Pedestrian safety Tips: How to Avoid Crosswalk Accidents
- Always pay attention to the road and your general surroundings. Watch both sides of the road
- Always cross the street from designated crosswalks and red lights
- Don’t be distracted: don’t text message, read, or talk on the phone while crossing a busy intersection
- Most pedestrian accident takes place in the Night-time. If you walk at night always wear light colored clothing, and never cross a street that is poorly lit or does not have a functioning red light.
- If you are a driver always be aware of pedestrians in intersections, and sidewalks,
We will fight for your right to compensation for your loss
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a sidewalk, crosswalk, red light while walking you should consult with a pedestrian injury lawyer immediately.
Compensation for injuries in a Pedestrian accident can included reimbursement for your
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings
- Diminished Income
- Pain and Suffering
- Permanent disability and disfigurement
Remember: it is crucial to act quickly after you’ve been injured to report any pedestrian accident claim before any limitations can lower or extinguish your rightful claim
. Call us for a free consultation
with one of our pedestrian injury lawyers regarding your accident: (888) 649-7166