1. I have been involved in a pedestrian accident: what are some things I should do?
I you have been involved in a pedestrian accident seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you think you are not badly injured, and you are not experiencing pain you should seek medical attention. Many pedestrian accident injuries manifest themselves hours or even days after the incident. Next you should report the accident to the local law enforcement agency. Then seek to obtain the information of the driver that hit you. If there are witnesses to the accident ask them for their information. Next seek out and obtain council from a skilled pedestrian accident lawyer. Your ability to receive the maximum compensation for your injuries shall in most cases increase if you have a skilled pedestrian injury representing you and protecting your rights.
2. Can I recover for my injuries from the car driver’s insurance company?
Yes you can: Many people believe that insurance coverage for motor vehicles does may not cover pedestrian accidents. However this is not the case, motorists can and are held liable for injuring other motorists, as well as pedestrians and bike riders. As such their insurance will most likely provide coverage for the damages sustained my pedestrians.
3. I was hit by a car while I was walking outside of the designate crosswalk; do I have rights to recover for my damages?
In the state of California drivers must consider and be observant of every part of the road of pedestrian or other hazards which may lead to harm or injury of others. If the driver of the car was negligent in conduct leading to the accident then he will be liable for your injuries and damages. These types of pedestrian accidents may often be more difficult to obtain compensation. If you have been injured in such an accident we advise you to obtain representation from a skilled California Pedestrian Accident Attorney.
4. What damages can I recover on a pedestrian accident?
There are many damages that are recoverable in pedestrian accidents. These include compensatory damages such as, medical expenses, home care and nursing expenses, lost wages, as well as mental stress and pain and suffering, anxiety, post traumatic stress, and los of consortium. In some instances due to product defects in car accidents punitive damages may be attributable as well.
5. What are some common injuries pedestrian accidents?
Pedestrian accidents often lead to serious sadly injuries and sadly in many cases death. Some of the most common pedestrian related injuries are listed here.
- Head Injuries including traumatic brain injury and permanent brain damage
- Facial Lacerations and Broken bones in the face
- Spinal Cord Injuries leading to paraplegia and quadriplegia
- Broken Pelvis
- Collapsed lung
- Broken Ribs and Fractures Bones
- Deep Bodily Lacerations and Cuts
- Internal Bleeding
6. Pedestrian Accident Statistics and Helpful Information.
- Be Careful in highly congested urban areas: 71 percent of all accidents involving pedestrians take place in urban areas
- Always Be Careful while walking at night: 64 percent of all accidents happen during nighttime hours
- Men should not think they are invincible: Most pedestrians killed or injured are male
- Children are also at high risk: One in Four fatalities involve children
- Be careful on Roads with no Stop Signs: Over 40 percent of fatalities occurred on roads without crosswalks.
7. What are some California Cross Walk Laws I should be aware of?
According to CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE 21950 a Driver Shall
- Yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
- The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.
8. Who do I contact if I have been injured by Car hitting me while walking?
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident by a motor vehicle, you must first tend to your wounds and heal your injuries. Seeking vindication of your rights is our job. Our aggressive and tenacious Accident Lawyers will keep on the offensive until they make sure you have been fully compensated for your injuries and vindicated for your loss. If you need a Los Angeles Pedestrian Injury Lawyer we can help. We will take care of every legal detail and make sure you achieve the highest compensation possible for your loss; in the meantime, concentrate on the most important part of this process – your recovery. Remember that it is crucial to act quickly after you’ve been injured to report any pedestrian accident claim before any limitations can lower or extinguish your rightful claim. Call us for a free consultation with one of our pedestrian injury lawyers regarding your accident: (888) 649-7166