There are over half a million truck crashes every year, resulting in thousands of injuries and deaths. Trucks are often found on highways and freeways, but some are on residential streets. It is advised to always give trucks a wide berth and to not assume the drivers can see you at all times. Of course, some drivers are very negligent in their actions and cause accidents. Victims of truck accidents can take legal action against the drivers or companies that employ them with the help of our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group. We have qualified West Covina truck accident lawyers who will be able to win your case for you and bring you the restitution you need.
Why Truck Accidents Happen
Truck accidents commonly occur because a truck driver was not careful on the road. He can be held liable for the accident if he were reckless, or the company for which he is driving can be held accountable, due to him being an employee. Some of the reasons truck accidents occur can be found here:
- Inebriation or intoxication
- Driver fatigue
- Using cell phone while driving
- Uncovered loads
- Improper weight distribution of materials in trailer
- Improperly affixed trailer
- Tire troubles
- Brake failure
- Engine trouble
- Unfamiliar terrain
- Sharp turns and steep hills
- Reckless driving
- Blind spots
- Failure to drive in truck lanes
- Inclement weather
– Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Of course, other drivers on the road could cause accidents, whether by cutting truck drivers off, trying to pass on the right, and more. If you are in need of a truck crash attorney in West Covina, you can contact our firm for more assistance.
Get started today by calling (888) 649-7166.
Evidence Needed For Your Truck Crash Lawsuit
As with any lawsuit, you will need ample evidence that you were hurt and that you were a victim of another party’s negligent action. The evidence that you acquire at the scene of the incident and in the aftermath can be used to prove your case. You can look at these steps to take that will allow you to get sufficient evidence for your claim. First, you should acquire proof of injuries through medical documentation. You can call the paramedics or go to the doctor, but be sure not to delay treatment or ignore it, as it can harm your case. You should have medical notes, hospital bills, treatment summaries, X-rays, test results, and more to show that you were hurt and you received help. Photographs of your injuries will also be beneficial. Next, you will need evidence of the accident itself, which can be acquired through photographs of the scene of the crash, the damage done to your vehicle, the truck and any damage done to it, and more. There may be the opportunity to have dash cam footage, surveillance or security footage from any businesses or external cameras, and more. It will benefit your claim to have outside support and third-party testimony. You can get statements from passengers and bystanders added to your claim, and you can even add a police report if law enforcements comes to investigate.
– Santa Monica Truck Accident Attorney
Once you have collected your evidence, it is wise to go to a law firm to have a skilled team handle your case. Our truck accident lawyers in West Covina can write your demand letter, send your evidence to the insurance agency, and work your case for you. Insurance companies tend to take many weeks to answer claims or offer anything worthwhile, and they are much less likely to do so if you do not have any legal representation. An attorney will ensure that you are treated properly.
Deadline for Truck Accident Lawsuits
According to California law, there is a two-year statute of limitations for all personal injury accidents. This time limit is meant to ensure that all claims are filed within an acceptable amount of time and do not linger past reasonable dates. It would be unfair for plaintiffs to seek damages against an individual if a car accident happened twenty years previous, for instance. The limit gives both parties ample time to prepare their evidence and cases. It is important to mark the date you were hurt in the accident. Sometimes, victims will fail to remember when they were injured, which can cause them to miss the statute of limitations, even only by a few days. There are a few scenarios in which the statute of limitations can be tolled, or extended. Examples include:
- Age of the plaintiff, as minors cannot file lawsuits; the statute of limitations would begin when the victim turns 18 years old
- Physical or mental status of the plaintiff, which can be compromised by way of a debilitating accident, coma, nervous breakdown; the statute would begin or resume when the individual returns to health
- Defendant’s location, which can change if he leaves the state; the defendant must be present in the state for you to file a lawsuit, and the time limit can be put on hold while he is absent
Learn more about your legal options: call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
Our team of West Covina truck crash attorneys is highly organized and meticulous. We do not miss deadlines and we will ensure that your case is filed well within the statute of limitations. You should not have to worry about adhering to deadlines in addition to all the other troubles of the accident. We’ll be able to help you from start to finish.
– FedEX Truck Accident Cases
Value Of A Truck Accident Lawsuit
Many individuals will call us and ask about the potential value of their truck accident lawsuits. Truth be told, there is no surefire way to determine the worth of a case, especially not before going through all of the evidence and circumstances. An insurance agent will determine whether or not a case is worth a lot of money. Some of the factors he will consider include:
- Your injuries (how severe and extensive they were, how much of an impact they had on your life and career, and more)
- Your age
- Your job (type of job, whether you will need reasonable accommodations, whether you will need disability pay, whether you will have to change careers altogether, or if you can even work again)
- Your level of negligence (if you were partially responsible for the accident, you may not receive nearly the same amount of compensation as if you were an innocent victim)
Some truck accident cases have been valued and paid out at over $1,000,000. This is most common in accidents involving fatalities. Other lawsuits have resulted in less than $10,000 because of mild injuries that quickly healed and had no lasting impact on the individual. To ensure that you will receive every penny of your lawsuit, contact a truck accident lawyer in West Covina today. We will help you understand the potential worth of your case and what dictates the value.
Compensation From A Truck Accident Claim
The amount of compensation that you can receive from a truck accident claim will vary from case to case. It will be up to your attorney to negotiate a fair deal from the insurance agent handling your claim. You should be fully covered for all expenses stemming from the accident if the incident happened due to another party’s negligence. Examples of compensation you can receive include:
- Medical bills from the past and future for your surgery, hospitalization, medication, rehabilitation, and more
- Property damage for any lost objects, personal items, belongings, vehicle damage, and more
- Lost wages from the past and future for the time spent away from work recovering or receiving any medical treatments
- Pain and suffering damages for your emotional trauma, psychological scarring, PTSD, anxiety, fear, and more
- Punitive damages in the event that a party acted with gross negligence or intended to cause you harm; these damages are purely monetary and punishing, but are often viewed as harsh and severe, so they are not often awarded
- Wrongful death expenses if a family member or loved one passes away in the incident, which can net you coverage for the funeral and burial, pre-death medical bills, pre-death pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of expected savings and inheritance, and more
– 18 Wheeler crash lawyers
You should not have to pay for your expenses by yourself. The truck driver or company should be held accountable for the damages. All too often, victims of accidents will try to go through lawsuits by themselves with no outside legal help. This is often a mistake, as the amount of compensation awarded – if any – will likely be very small. A West Covina truck accident attorney can work with you to win the maximum compensation available.
Top-Rated West Covina Truck Accident Lawyers –(888) 649-7166
The Firm You Need
The Downtown LA Law Group has decades of combined experience handling truck accident lawsuits. We know the best tactics for success and have won millions of dollars for our clients throughout the years. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail, aggressive negotiation tactics, and care for your clients. To us, everyone who walks through our doors in need of help is family. We promise to fight tooth and nail for your case, even going to court if necessary.
– Truck Accident Frequently Asked Question
You can call our firm today at (888) 649-7166 for a free legal consultation with one of our expert lawyers. If you have any specific questions, we will give you insight and information on how to proceed. You should not be left in the dark concerning anything with your claim. If you hire us, we will also give you our zero fee guarantee, which prevents you from having to pay any legal expenses throughout the case. We will get paid by the insurance company if we win by taking a portion of the settlement awarded for your case, and if we lose, we take no money whatsoever. You will be off the hook from paying us regardless.
– Palmdale truck accident attorneys
Don’t let your truck accident lawsuit go forward without expert representation from one of our West Covina truck accident attorneys the DTLA Law Group.