Tractor trailers are some of the most dangerous vehicles on the road. When a tractor trailer is not properly operated, devastating injuries can result from accidents
. In such cases, the injured parties are left with lifelong or permanent damages. Most of the time, insurance carriers for tractor trailer operators
will attempt to avoid liability wherever possible. It is important to know your rights and make sure you get the maximum compensation allowable under the law
. If you were rear ended by a tractor trailer, you should look for a skilled lawyer to help you with your lawsuit. Our team of tractor trailer accident attorneys
at the Downtown LA Law Group
can help you better understand your rights and get started on filing your claim for you
Causes of Tractor Trailer Accidents
Tractor trailer accidents happen for many reasons, some of which are easily identifiable and caused negligent drivers on the road, others are which are harder to detect and can be blamed on numerous factors. Some of the causes include:
- Negligent driving, such as running red lights, running stop signs, turning without signaling, improperly merging, turning left in front of traffic, speeding, tailgating, and more
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while fatigued, which may happen because truck driver are often on the road for hours at a time driving across entire states
- Poor weight distribution of the trailer, which can lead to easy fishtailing and tip-overs if the materials and contents are not evenly distributed
- Load problems, which may happen when a wide load is not marked as such or when a load or bed is uncovered and filled with excessive materials or dangerous materials
- Poor weather, like fog, rain, snow, sleet, and more, that can make it difficult for drivers to see the road in front of them or make it hard to control the truck
- Road defects like potholes, cracks, downed power lines and trees, sharp turns, curves, hidden driveways with no warnings or signs, steep hills, and more
- Vehicle defects like broken hitches and trailers, brake issues, engine problems, broken headlights, blown tires, and others
Liability for Injury – Who Can Be Held Liable for Your Loss
- Who is liable for your injuries in a tractor trailer accident case? This question will depend on a number of different factors. Here is list of examples for liability purposes.
- Was the driver permitted to operate the machinery? If not, the driver can be held accountable for operating the truck without a permit.
- Were they property trained to do so? The trucking company can be held accountable if no training was provided.
- Were they operating it in accordance with their training? If they weren’t, they can be held liable because of negligent action.
- Was the operator impaired or intoxicated? The driver has a duty to drive with a conscious and unobstructed mind and body, so he can be held more accountable than the company.
- Did they have the proper operating license? The company must ensure its drivers have CDLs or other licenses, or they can be held accountable for injuries.
These are questions that our firm will get answers to. We will hold the responsible parties accountable for your injuries. Depending on the response to these questions, the liability of the case will be determined
. If you were involved in a rear end accident with a trailer or any other kind of incident, it is important to speak with an attorney to know your rights. Remember, do not make any statements to any insurance company until you have consulted with your attorney.
In order to prove negligence and liability, you must show these four points as true:
- You were owed a duty of care
- The duty of care was breached in some way
- The breach of duty led to an accident
- The accident resulted in physical injuries
If any of the points is established as false, your claim will fall apart and you will not be able to secure compensation.
Tractor Trailer Letter
Common Injuries Resulting from Big Rig and Tractor Trailer Accidents
Injuries after a tractor accident can be devastating. Because of the size and impact area of these machines, even the lightest degree of impact can be significant. Here is a list of common injuries after a trailer accident. Always remember to get proper medical assistance, as some of the damages may be long lasting or permanent.
- Spinal cord injuries
- Herniated or bulging discs
- Neck injuries
- Head trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Mild or medium brain injuries
- Broken or fractured ribs
- Internal organ injuries
- Torn muscles
- Nerve damage
- Damaged tibia
- Cracked skull
These are only a fraction of the injuries that can be sustained as a result of a tractor trailer accident. If you were hurt, get medical attention immediately.
Learn more about your legal options: call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
Steps to Take Following a Tractor Trailer Accident
The steps you take after a tractor accident can be very important to the success of your case and to the preservation of your health. If you have questions about any of the steps, do not hesitate to contact us
First, if you were injured, you should get medical treatment
. No matter how light the impact, get checked out. You never know what the extent of your injuries may be. The paramedics can treat you at the scene or you can go to the doctor for a checkup. Adrenaline masks a lot of injuries. You can also hold on to the notes and receipts from the hospital to show the treatment you got and how much it cost to be administered.
Second, collect the information for all responsible parties
. This includes insurance information from the responsible driver (like license plate number, driver’s license number, phone number and address, insurance policy details, and more), pictures of the damage done to the truck and any vehicles, defects on the road, pictures of the scene of the accident, and more.
Third, ask any passengers, bystanders, and eyewitnesses
to tell you what happened in the incident so you can write down their statements. Their testimonies will come in handy and will bolster your claim, as other parties supporting you will have a positive effect.
Fourth, if the police showed up to the scene of the accident
, you should ask them for a cpy of the police report after it has been finalized. You may need to request this report from the station itself.
Fifth, do not give any statements to insurance companies
. These statements will only be used to deny or limit liability for your case. The less you say, the better.
Lastly, you should contact a skilled tractor trailer accident lawyer
today to look over your case and handle your claim for you. You may not have any legal experience at all, which means that trying to negotiate compensation for yourself in a claim will be very difficult. The insurance agent will likely deny your claim because you cannot threaten anything. Our attorneys have one goal, and it is to bring you the compensation you need – hire us and we will take care of the claim for you.
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
Compensation from a Tractor Trailer Accident
Victims of tractor trailer accidents should not be expected to cover their own expenses if they were not responsible for the accident. If you were hit because of someone else’s negligence, you can sue the responsible party. The company who hired the truck driver may he held accountable, which lead to ample earnings. Let our lawyers work to bring you coverage for the falling:
- Medical bills from the past and future for any surgery, hospitalization, medication, physical therapy, and more
- Lost income from time you missed work in the past and will miss in the future because of the injuries and treatments, as well as recovery time
- Property damage to any personal items tat were lost or broken, including the damage to your vehicle
- Pain and suffering damages for emotional anxiety, fear, PTSD, psychological stress, and more
- Wrongful death expenses in the event a family member or loved one died, which can result in burial and funeral fees, pre-death medical expenses and pain and suffering costs, loss of expected inheritance, loss of expected savings, and more
The value of your claim will be determined by the insurance agent who handles it, and the settlement offer will be tweaked and negotiated with the help of our lawyers.
Why Choose Us
Our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
, is proud to represent victims of traffic accidents including tractor trailer collisions. We know the trauma you may undergo and what the issues will be after the accident happens. Tractor trailer accident claims can be very troublesome to deal with, and we recommend hiring an expert lawyer to help you. Our firm is highly rated, and we will do whatever it takes to win your case, including taking your case to trial.
Call us today at (888) 649-7166
for a free legal consultation. We can discuss your claim with you and what the legal process will look like. We will also tell you more about our zero fee guarantee
, which states that you won’t have to pay us any money at all from start to finish. We will cover the case’s costs and will only get paid when we win. The insurance company will cover our fees. If we lose, you don’t pay anything at all, and we eat the losses ourselves.
Get in touch with the Downtown LA Law Group today to start your tractor trailer accident lawsuit.