A truck accident can be devastating
, leaving you severely injured or taking the lives of innocent drivers. They are usually the main cause of multiple impact crashes and can cause large backups and other incidents due to traffic. Truck drivers must be appropriately trained and possess a CDL to operate the vehicles
. They also need to pay careful attention to everyone on the road, but not every driver is attentive
. Our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
, has expert lawyers who can win your claim for you. If you are in need of a truck accident lawyer in Torrance
, you have come to the right location.
Truck Accident Causes
Where are many ways that truck accidents happen every day
. Some can be attributed to other drivers being reckless on the road; they may try to pass the truck on the right hand side, speed, not give the truck enough room to merge, and more. However, truck drivers can also cause incidents; some of the ways include:
- Fatigue: Truck drivers may be on the road for hours at a time, leading to sleep deprivation and exhaustion. It is illegal for drivers to be behind the wheel for over 10 hours per day, but some persist in order to meet deadlines. Others are ordered to do so by their companies.
- Careless driving: Truckers may speed, tailgate, negligently switch lanes, turn improperly, stop short, run red lights and stop signs, fail to stay in appropriate truck lanes, and more, which can cause trouble for surrounding vehicles.
- Load troubles: Trucks that have containers or beds often transport loads. These containers or trailers must be properly hitched to the vehicle, and any materials that are on beds must be appropriately covered and not overfilled. The distribution of materials inside the trailer must also be even, as an improper distribution can cause fishtailing and crashes at the slightest impact.
- Truck defects: Trucks should be properly maintained by drivers and maintenance workers. If there are improperly inflated tires, broken brakes, engine problems, broken mirrors and lights, and loosely affixed trailers, an accident is more likely to happen.
- Environmental conditions: Truck drivers are often on roads that are unfamiliar, which can cause them to not know when certain dips happen or how low-hanging some branches are. There may also be issues on the roads, such as potholes, unmarked driveways, unmarked turns and hills, and more. Some drivers must pass through foggy weather, snow, rain, and more that all impede visibility. Drivers who are not cautious in these conditions, especially at night, raise the risk of accidents.
If you were hurt in an accident because a truck driver was not careful while on the road, you could sue for legal compensation. Contact one of our Torrance truck accident lawyers today for advice moving forward.
– Post Office Truck Accident Attorney
Injuries from Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are more likely to result in fatalities than car crashes
are because of the size and velocity of the vehicles. They are often carrying a lot of materials and are much sturdier. A truck accident at 40 mph can be even more devastating than a car accident at 60 mph. Much of the time, truck drivers are not as severely harmed as those in other vehicles.
A short list of the types of injuries we have seen in truck accidents includes:
- Broken bones
- Torn muscles
- Nerve damage
- Severed limbs and digits
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord damages
- Disc injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Closed head injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Knee and hip damage
– Pickup truck accident Attorney
Some of these injuries may last for months; others can heal quickly; still others may be permanent. No matter what kind of damages you suffered, you should move forward with a claim with the help of our Torrance truck accident attorneys
Learn more about your legal options call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
Filing a Negligence-Based Truck Crash Claim
Personal injury lawsuits are based on the negligent action of another party. To sue for negligence, you must establish four points. They are as follows:
- You were owed a duty of care
- The duty of care was violated by the responsible party
- The breach of duty led to an incident or crash
- The accident resulted in actual physical injuries
– Pasadena truck accident lawyers
All of these points must be shown to be true for the lawsuit to succeed. If even one is proven false, the claim will fall apart. For example, if you were not physically wounded in the accident, you won’t be able to file a personal injury claim and will only be able to pursue compensation for property damage and lost income.
– Long Beach truck accident attorneys
The proper steps you should take for your lawsuit to succeed include:
- Get medical attention as quickly as possible
- Retain all medical bills, receipts, and doctor’s notes
- Take pictures of your injuries and wounds
- Photograph or record the scene of the accident, the damage to your vehicle, and the damage to the truck
- Request any nearby businesses for surveillance footage or ask drivers for dashboard camera videos
- Interview passengers, drivers, and pedestrians for their testimonies about what happened if they saw the incident unfold
- Request a copy of the police report from the police station if the cops showed up to investigate the accident
- Write down the contact information, business name, license plate number, and more of the responsible truck driver
It is important that you hire an attorney to process all your evidence and write the demand letter for your case. Our Torrance truck accident lawyers are extremely attentive and will ensure that your evidence is used to prove that you were a victim of negligent action.
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
– Tow Truck Accident Attorney
Statute of Limitations for Truck Accident Lawsuits
The statute of limitations is the time during which you must file a lawsuit to pursue compensation or you will be barred from doing so in the future. This statute is two years from the date that the injury occurred. It is crucial that you file a claim within this period not only because of the risk of missing the deadline but also because of the likelihood of your evidence being kept intact.
There are times when the statute of limitations can be extended, however. This can happen in accidents when the victim is under the age of 18 years old; because minors cannot sue, the statute of limitations will begin upon turning legal age. Further, an accident that leaves a victim incapacitated, whether mentally or physically, can allow the statute to be extended to match when the victim recovers. The defendant must also be present in the state; if he is absent, the statute of limitations will be paused until he returns.
A primary cause of victims failing to get the compensation they deserve is due to unawareness of the statute of limitations. An attorney can make sure that your deadlines are met and that you do not miss a single important date. Our Torrance truck accident lawyers can ensure that your lawsuit is not missed.
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
– Palmdale truck accident attorneys
Truck Accident Lawsuit Restitution
Victims of truck accidents are often left owing many expenses and debts. It may be a long time before you return to work, and all of the fees on the path to recovery are not inexpensive. It is in your best interest to take legal action and pursue the maximum compensation available under the law. However, it can be very difficult to win this restitution by yourself, and we highly recommend seeking out the services of a truck accident attorney in West Covina to help secure the following:
- Medical bills for past treatments and future procedures, including surgery, anesthesia, hospitalization, ambulatory transportation, physical therapy and rehab, medication, and more
- Lost wages form the time you spent away from work due to medical treatment or recovery, as well as future lost income for any additional days you will need off
- Property damage for all of your personal belongings that were damaged or lost in the incident, as well as vehicular repairs
- Pain and suffering expenses for any mental injuries you suffered, like fear, anxiety, PTSD, psychological trouble, and more
– Who’s at Fault for Truck Accident
There are also additional expenses that you can win in certain circumstances. If you were hurt by a driver who was extremely negligent or who deliberately tried to hurt you, you could pursue punitive damages, which are handed out in place of jail time. They are seldom awarded though, and only a skilled lawyer will be able to win them. Further, you could pursue wrongful death damages if a loved one died in the incident. This could result in the funeral being paid off, hospital bills getting covered, and more. You could also receive loss of consortium, pre-death pain and suffering of the victim, loss of expected inheritance and income, and others.
– Moving Truck Accident Attorney
Do not let a truck accident pass by without considering appropriate legal action, especially if you were injured in the event. Our qualified Torrance truck accident lawyers will work around the clock to secure you the compensation you need.
How We Help You
The Downtown LA Law Group
places all victims first. We will take on your case and ensure that the insurance agent does not throw it out or ignore it. Our lawyers have a reputation for being aggressive and for securing compensation at all costs. We will do whatever is necessary to win, and we will hire expert witnesses to assist with proving the facts of your claim.
You can call us anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a free legal consultation. We’ll gladly answer your questions to help you understand the law, your case, and what the legal process is like. We believe everyone should be appropriately informed and knowledgeable about what a lawsuit will entail.
– Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
By hiring us, you will receive our zero fee guarantee
. This states that you won’t have to spend a dime on out of pocket expenses. We’ll cover the costs of the case from start to finish, and if we win, we will take a portion of the settlement awarded to you to pay for the legal expenses. The responsible party, therefore, will cover your legal bills. If we lose, we do not get paid at all, as we only work on contingency. Your savings will never be compromised or touched throughout the case.
Reach out today to speak with a Torrance truck accident lawyer
at the Downtown LA Law Group.