As one of the five most hazardous jobs in the country, construction workers face far more risk of injury than almost any other occupation. And one of the most common causes of injuries on a construction site is falling. From uneven surfaces and unstable footing to the need to elevate far above the ground to complete many tasks, falling is a daily risk on most job sites. And when that fall comes from any of the countless pieces of scaffolding that can be seen around the Los Angeles area, the injuries can be severe or even life-threatening. Sadly, scaffolding-related incidents account for more than 50 deaths each year nationwide. So it is vital for anyone injured while working on scaffolding to understand their rights under the laws of California. In many cases, these victims have a legal right to more than just the worker’s comp benefits that pay for their medical bills and lost wages. In addition, the negligence of another party could mean that the victim can seek additional compensation with a third-party lawsuit.
After a serious fall from a scaffolding, you are sure to be happy to be alive. In addition, you are thankful for the benefits provided by worker’s comp to ensure that all your medical bills will be paid and that your lost wages will be partially covered. But that assistance does not address your pain and suffering or the portion of your regular income that is not covered by worker’s comp. So it is only fair that the liable party be held accountable and you be fully compensated for your injury and losses. The team at DTLA Law is here to help you evaluate your case and understand who else is to blame for your injuries and how you can seek the compensation you deserve.
When you contact our office, we will schedule a free consultation with an expert scaffolding injury attorney with years of experience and successful settlements in the Los Angeles area. Our team will help you formulate a plan to move forward in seeking the restitution owed to you. And we will handle every aspect of the legal process on your behalf with no upfront payment from you. Our goal is to eliminate some of the financial stress you are suffering to allow you to focus on healing and making a full recovery from your injuries. Only after we have secured a fair settlement or verdict in your favor will we submit an invoice for our services.
The Most Common Injuries From Scaffolding Accidents
While scaffolding can be much more stable and sturdy than other devices like a ladder or lift, these structures are not without some inherent risk. When assembled, scaffolding looks like a single, solid structure. But in reality, it is made by connecting hundreds or even thousands of pieces together to form the structure. Baseplates, jacks, decking, clamps, braces, legs, rails, and other components are all essential to the stability of the structure and its safety. However, if even a single piece of the scaffolding is damaged or defective, the result could be any of these very severe injuries:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Strains, sprains, and tears of soft tissue
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injures
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions and skull fractures
- Lacerations and puncture wounds
- Internal injuries and internal bleeding
In addition, many of the victims of a scaffolding collapse are buried in the debris and rubble of the structure. They must suffer until crews can remove the scaffolding and other building materials to free them before they can receive emergency medical treatment.
Who Could Be To Blame For Your Injuries And Suffering?
Many parties are responsible for the installation when a large scaffolding structure is assembled on a job site. Typically, any of the following could be partially or wholly to blame for the collapse or failure of the scaffolding and, as a result, your injuries:
Why You Need A Scaffolding Injury Attorney
- The construction company is responsible for maintaining a safe work environment for employees. If there were issues with the scaffolding or its construction, they could be proven negligent and accountable for your injuries.
- The construction site management could also be to blame if they misused the scaffolding, overloaded the structure, or removed safety features resulting in your fall or other accident while using the scaffolding.
- Other trades working at the site could also be at fault if they removed safety railings or altered the structure of the scaffolding after it was erected.
- The company that rented and erected the scaffolding could be liable if the structure was installed incorrectly or was not complete with safety rails and other safety features.
- The manufacturer of the scaffolding components could be responsible if any parts of the structure are found to be defective.
As you can see, there are many potential plaintiffs in a scaffolding injury case. And as a layman, it can be nearly impossible to know who should be held accountable for your injuries. Fortunately, the team at DTLA Law includes many expert scaffolding injury lawyers who have the expertise to sort through all of the details of your case and provide exceptional guidance and proven results. The team will dig into the details of the scaffolding collapse or failure to determine the cause and responsible party. With this information, our team can file a complaint on your behalf well within the two-year Statute of Limitations in California. In addition, your scaffolding injury attorney will negotiate on your behalf with insurance companies and legal representatives of the plaintiff to ensure that you get full and fair compensation for your injuries, loss, and suffering as a result of the accident.
How Much Is A Scaffolding Injury Case Worth?
Any honest scaffolding injury attorney would never quote a specific dollar amount for any settlement. Instead, each settlement amount is calculated based on some information particular to the victim’s injuries and losses. The necessary information to estimate a settlement includes:
- The first consideration is the amount of all current medical bills related to care and recovery from your injuries. This number must include hospital and doctor’s bills, follow-up medical visits, therapy, rehabilitation, prescription medication, and any other specific devices required for your care and healing.
- When severe injuries are involved, there is also the consideration for future medical bills such as reconstructive surgery, skin grafting, ongoing treatment, other essential procedures, or long-term therapy.
- Your lost wages are also calculated to be included in the compensation.
- If your injuries are severe enough to inhibit your ability to work in the future, your scaffolding injury attorney will also consider that loss and seek compensation for future loss or earnings.
- The last criterion is the physical pain and suffering you have endured as well as your emotional suffering and trauma.
When Will I Receive The Settlement?
Much like determining the value of your settlement, the time required to complete the process also depends on several factors. The severity of your injuries and the time estimated for your recovery will have a significant impact. Until your condition is stable and your medical team can determine if you will make a full recovery, it is not wise to decide on the settlement amount. In addition, the plaintiff’s actions may slow the process if they fight the negligence claim. Your actions will also impact the speed of the filing and settlement process. The sooner you secure legal representation, the sooner your expert scaffolding injury attorney can begin gathering evidence and documentation to support your claim for a settlement. At DTLA Law, we like to start the process as soon after the incident as possible to review all of the documents, witness statements and begin gathering information regarding the scaffolding and worksite to ensure that your case is as strong as possible. The more information we have and present to the plaintiff, the faster the case typically moves forward.
We Work For Justice
Even if you have spoken to another LA scaffolding injury attorney and been told you have no case, please get in touch with DTLA Law today for a professional second opinion. We offer this free, no-obligation consultation with a multilingual scaffolding injury attorney in Los Angeles for free to ensure that every injury victim has the information they need to move forward toward the best possible outcome. We understand that without years of legal education and training, it can be intimidating to contemplate filing a claim against a huge manufacturer, business, or your employer. But if they were negligent and that action or lack of action resulted in your injuries and suffering, you deserve to be compensated. And the team at DTLA Law is here to see that justice is served on your behalf. We will defend your rights and seek a settlement that will allow you to stop worrying about medical bills and living expenses. Instead, you can focus on healing and regaining a full and meaningful life while providing for your family.