Metal on Metal hip replacement implants (MoM’s) consist of a ball, stem, and shell which are all made of metallic materials. Over the past decade metal on metal hip replacements have been associated with serious adverse medical conditions. According to various studies metal on metal hip implants present a greater danger of serious side effects than non metal based hip replacements. In one such study metal to meta hip implants presented a 6.2% defective failure rate in comparison to 1.5-2% for non metal on metal (mom) hip replacement designs. Victims who have suffered serious complications caused by the insertion of defective metal to metal hip implants are entitled to full and just compensation from all liable parties which may include, surgeons and medical doctors for medical malpractice, manufactures and designers as well as wholesaler and distributors of the defective medical device.
Common Risks associated with Metal on Metal Hip Implants include:
- Hip Dislocation
- Bone Fractures
- Joint Infections
- Breakage of the Device requiring corrective surgery
- Bone loss
- Blood Clots
- Nerve damage
- Excessive Bleeding
- Cobalt Poisoning – Cobaltism
Metal Poisoning Metallosis: Metal Poisoning from the implantation of defective metal on metal hip implants have affected hundreds of individuals in the United States. Metal poisoning is caused by the dislodging of debris from the wear and tear use of the hip. Metal poisoning is a serious medical condition which can result in serious complications to an individual’s central nervous system, heart, and kidney functions. For more in Metallosis caused by defective hip implants Click here. Soft Tissue Necrosis: In many instances patients develop progressive soft tissue reaction to the debris associated with the natural wear and tear of a MoM hip replacement system. The metallic debris can result in soft tissue necrosis which may require corrective revision surgery.
How do I know if my Metal on Metal Hip Implant is defective?
There are numerous sing and symptoms of a faulty MoM hip implant. If you are experiencing any of these complications after a hip implant procedure seek medical attention immediately.
- Severe pain in the groin
- Swelling at or hear the hip joint
- Inability to walk properly
- Kidney and Bladder issues including changes in urination habits
- Nerve damage and Paralysis – general numbness and weakness
- General fatigue
- Heart Issues including severe chest pain and shortness of breath
Compensation for Your Loss: Injured individuals are entitled to compensation for all losses and damages associated with the implantation of the defective medical device. Monetary compensation in a defective medical implant claim is based on numerous factors including
- Compensation for all medical costs including corrective surgery and replacement of the defective implant
- All future medical and rehabilitation costs
- Loss of income and future loss of earning potential
- Pain and suffering including any mental trauma
- Punitive damages against manufacturers of the defective medical device – where possible
Metal on Metal Hip Implant Lawsuits The Downtown LA Law is a National Product Liability Law Firm dedicated to litigating claims for victims injured by defectively produced medical devices and implants.
To receive a full and free consultation regarding your injuries. (888) 649-7166
List of Manufacturers of Metal on Metal Hip Implants in the United States
- Encore Medical
- Johnson & Johnson DePuy
- DePuy ASR XL (Depuy Recall)
- DePuy ASR Resurfacing
- DePuy Pinnacle
- Stryker Howmedica Osteonics
- Wright Medical Technology
- Link America Inc.
- Orthopedic Manufacturing Co.
- Advanced Bioresearch Association
- Turnkey Intergration USA Inc
- American Ortomed Corporation
- C.R. Bard Inc.
- Downs Surgical
- Implantology Corp.
- Joint Medical Products Corp.
- Med-Tek Corp.
- Orthopaedic Device Corp.
- Osteo Technology, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Wright Medical Profemur Z
- Techmedic Inc.
For further information regarding filing of a lawsuit against manufacturers of defective medical implants contact our Law Firm.