Broken bones are one of the most common injuries cause by traffic collisions
and slip and fall accidents
. A common question asked by clients who have suffered serious injuries is “how much is my case worth
“. The answer to this question is not simple. There are several factors to take into account when calculating the estimated settlement or verdict of a personal injury claim including, the severity of the injury, the length of time it takes for the injury to heal, and whether there was lost work or a loss of future income. A general description of the factors associated with the value of a broken bone injury claim in provided below.
If you have any further questions and would like to speak with an attorney regarding compensation for your injuries feel free to contact our Law Offices (888) 649-7166
Severity or Magnitude of the Injury
: There are several types of bone fractures including
- Hairline Fracture – also called a stress fracture – a very small sliver of crack in the bone. Hairline fractures can lead to pain – in many instances individuals who have suffered hairline fracture without realizing.
- Compound Fractures – When the bone is cracked in several places. Such fractures often take months of rehabilitation and medical care to heal.
- Displaced Fracture – Takes place when a fragment of the bone is torn away.
- Avulsion Fracture: This takes place when a tendon or ligament that is attached to a bone pulls off a piece of the bone.
- Spiral Fractures – Takes Place the bone breaks due to the twisting of the limbs.
- Transverse Fracture – caused by force that is directly applied to the injured limb
Common Bones Broken in an Accident
Accidents often have negative impacts that rely on the forces exchanged. When you get in a car accident or are involved in a slip and fall incident, broken bones are well within the realm of possibility. If the car crashes into you a high enough speeds, or if you land awkwardly or hard enough, bones will give under the pressure and snap. Here are common bones that are broken by such accidents.
Slip and Fall Accidents
- Vertebrae from the neck and spine
- Humerous and Radius
Permanence of the injury – Time it Takes for the Injury to Heal
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Elbow injuries
- Wrist injuries
: Sometimes victims of personal injury may never fully recover from their injuries. Chronic pain may result in permanent disabilities to such an extent that individuals often require life care including home cleaning, nursing care, and transportation expenses. Such expenses can cost upwards of tens of thousands of dollars.
Lost Wages and Loss or Reduction of Future Income:
Loss of income is an important element in determining the value of a personal injury lawsuit. For example a client that is paid $200 a day and has missed four weeks (21 days) of work due to the injuries suffered is entitled to ($200 X 21) $4200 in lost wages
. In the cases of loss of future earning capacity vocational experts will consider factors such as age, earning capacity, family earning capacity, social status and more to come up with a reasonable estimate. This number will then be presented to the court.
Other factors that are taken into account:
Some of the most common causes of stress fractures are as follows
- All medical costs – this included all future medical costs associated with the injuries suffered including future prescription drugs, rehabilitation, and revision surgeries.
- Pain and Suffering – including emotional trauma and compensation for the actual physical pain you suffered. In a Per Diem jurisdiction, the value of pain and suffering will be calculated on a daily basis. So for example if you have suffered from 200 days of pain from a broken clavicle in an auto accident the jury will calculate the daily monetary compensation for your pain and multiply it by 200. ($130 dollars per day X 200 days = $26,000).
Compensation for your injuries
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Truck and Motorcycle Crashes
- Prescription Drug Medication – Nexium and other Acid reflux medications using proton pump inhibitors
- Acts of Violent – Assault and battery
- Sport-related injuries
- Falls from high place – including slip and fall accidents
- Playground accidents
- Workplace injuries – repetitive movements including stress fractures
– Victims o bone fracture are entitled to compensation for all their losses including (1) All present and future medical costs (2) all costs associated with rehabilitation (3) life care costs due to temporary or permanent disability (4) lost wages and loss of future earnings and (5) pain and suffering.
Broken Bones Settlements
The settlement you will be awarded depends on various factors. Things like how it was that you broke your bone(s), the extent of your injury, and the impact it had on your life. Because every case is different, all settlements thus vary from person to person. To give you an idea of how much you could win, below are real-life examples of broken bone settlements in the past.
- $1,175,000 awarded to a man broke two ribs and required surgery after he rode a motorcycle and a car pulled in front of him.
- $1,100,000 awarded to a plaintiff who had both a hip fracture as well as a kneecap fracture. Both injuries required surgery and were caused by a negligent driver.
- $1,000,000 awarded to a man in a product liability case after he suffered a fractured femur.
- $215,000 awarded to a plaintiff who suffered many broken bones in collision at an intersection. The settlement amount was the complete coverage of their car insurance’s policy limit.
- $115,000 awarded to a plaintiff who suffered a fractured finger and partial amputation of the fingertip after a tree fell on her windshield which caused her to crash.
If you believe that you deserve compensation of this value, then you need to contact our LA law firm today. Our attorneys will listen to you and take care of the legalities of filing a lawsuit. Our law firm offers every client free second opinions and free legal consultation.
Free Second Opinions
It is possible you already have an attorney who has promised to get you the compensation they think you deserve. Some attorneys will quickly accept any settlement because whether or not the compensation will help you financially recover, they will still get paid. When you break one of your bones and look for proper restitution, you deserve to have an attorney that will consider your personal interests first, and foremost. When an attorney puts their client first, justice is often the end-result. If your attorney has given you a compensation amount, it is natural to be skeptical. Our attorneys will take a look at your case and give you their estimate as to what you stand to win if you hire our law firm to properly represent you. We offer free second opinions because our goal is to serve the clients and assure they receive the compensation they deserve.
Free Legal Consultation
When you choose our legal team, you know you will be our top priority. We want to make sure that you get the necessary treatment and compensation to make up for the trauma the accident put you through. With free legal consultation, our attorneys will take a look at your case and give you their initial thoughts and answer any questions you may have about the legal process. We want you to have all the information before you make a decision on legal representation. This comes to you without any financial obligation, so you know that your choice will ultimately be one that you will make. We also offer the zero-fee guarantee, which means you will not pay for our legal services until we prove your case and get you the compensation you deserve. If we are unable to win your case, you will not pay us a penny.
Call our law firm today to see what we can do for you.