One of the most common questions asked by our clients is how much they can recover for the injuries they have suffered in an auto accident, dog bite, slip and fall of any other personal injury claim. The answer to the question is based on many different variables. In most cases no one will be able to determine what your car accident claim is worth until there has been a full and thorough investigation of all expenses, liability for the accident has been established, and your medical treatment has been determines.
A trusted personal injury attorney will never be able to determine the exact monetary recovery for your loss, but may be able to provide you with a rough estimate of your compensation.
What Factors determine my recovery?
Generally the factors that the courts look at included the extent of our injuries, lost wages due to inability to work, loss of future income, loss of earning capacity, permanence of your injuries (ie disability), medical bills, and loss of property.
Below is a list of significant factors in determining your personal injury case;
- Calculation of fault: in many personal injury and car accident cases a plaintiff may be partially at fault for his injuries. If the court determines a victim is partially at fault then his recovery will be lowered by the percentage of fault that is attributed to him. For example: if the total amount of damages is $100,000 and a plaintiff is 30% at fault then the maximum recovery he is able to receive is no more than $70,000.
- Proper and Prompt medical attention: Did the victim seek prompt medical attention.
- Seriousness of the injury: Did the victim require long term medical care, hospitalization, surgery, recuperation, physical therapy. Evidence like x-rays, MRI’s, CT Scans doctor’s evaluation medical bills, prescription drub bills will help establish the severity of the injuries.
- Future Medical Issues: Does the plaintiff have long term permanent medical issues arising from the auto accident including disability, permanent scarring, spinal cord damage leading to paraplegia. What is the cost of treating such issues? What is the cost of caring for such an individual’s needs?
- Loss of Wages: Did you miss work as a result of your injuries. Is the plaintiff able to go back to work and perform her duties as before? Has she lost future earning capacity as a result of her injuries?
- Choosing the Right Personal Injury Lawyer: One of the most overlooked factors in determining the value of your case is who is representing you in the court of law. At Downtown LA Law Group we provide hands on dedicated representation you every individual personal injury claim. We will aggressively and fearlessly protect your right to full compensation for your loss.
- Pain and Suffering: California Personal Injury Law provides compensation for the pain and suffering of victims of personal injury. Other incurred losses may be accumulated by way of, loss of consortium, loss and enjoyment of life. These are damages which one cannot place an exact monetary value on. In such circumstances a determined and aggressive personal injury lawyer will be a strong advocate for your right to receive such compensation.
To request a free evaluation of the value of your personal injury claim contact us today