Broken or defective refrigerators can cause many issues. You may be in a hotel, motel, grocery store, or other location and suddenly find yourself on your back from a wet puddle that was caused by a leaky refrigerator. You can effectively ensure that you are fully compensated for the injuries if you file a slip and fall claim against the responsible party. You may not know who to file that claim against, however, or even how to start. This is why it is important that you reach out to a skilled attorney at the Downtown LA Law Group to assist you with your case.
How can I get in a slip and fall accident from a defective refrigerator?
It is possible to be in a slip and fall accident from a defective refrigerator if there is a leak with the appliance, for example. The water from the ice machine or the condensation forming the cold temperature can cause puddles at the bottom of the fridge, which can cause slipping hazards. In the home, this is dangerous for children and elderly individuals. In shopping locations, everyone is at risk, even employees. Refrigerators that are leaking supermarkets, hotels, and motels often lead to the most injuries. It is very important that you be aware of your surroundings, but it is impossible to be that aware all of the time, especially if you are in a rush at the grocery store or focusing on other activities. As a result of these accidents, you could suffer a number of injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Muscle damage
- Closed head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Hip injuries
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Disc damage
- Internal organ damage
- Paraplegia and quadriplegia
You should do all you can to ensure that you are not injured after a slip and fall accident caused by a defective refrigerator. If you were, you should take legal action with the help of our expert lawyers.
How can I file a slip and fall accident lawsuit because of a broken refrigerator?
If you were hurt because of a broke refrigerator, it is important that you take appropriate legal action against the responsible party. You should be aware that you can receive ample compensation, especially if numerous parties were responsible. For example, if you were in a hotel, motel, super market, or grocery store, a refrigerator accident can be attributed to negligent workers, management, or construction at the store. You can then file a premises liability lawsuit against the store and pursue damages based on negligence from the property owner. To file a premises liability claim, you must show that the property owner caused the hazard with the refrigerator, was aware of it but did nothing to fix it, or should have known about the hazard if he was unaware. Given how many people pass through these areas and how privy they are to complaints and feedback, these refrigerators should be maintained to avoid slip and fall accidents.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call (888) 649-7166 today.
On the other hand, you may have just purchased a new refrigerator or you may have had one installed by your landlord. The refrigerator could have a leak that happens because of an internal error. If you slip and fall in your own home because of this unknown issue with the refrigerator, you could file a product liability claim. This can be filed against the company for having an item with a design flaw or manufacturing error with an item, which in turn caused you harm. Either way, you should make sure to gather appropriate evidence and follow these steps to get your broken refrigerator slip and fall accident claim in motion:
- Go to the doctor at once to get medical treatment
- Hold on to doctor’s notes and receipts
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Photograph the scene of the incident, the defective refrigerator, and more
- If possible, acquire security footage showing the incident happen
- Ask eyewitnesses and bystanders for their testimonies and statements
- Print copies of any receipts or proof of purchase documents if you bought the fridge, went to the grocery store for the goods, stayed in the hotel or motel, and more
- File an incident report with the business, if applicable, to alert them to the incident and the defect
- Do not accept any compensation or refunds from the business
After all this evidence has been acquired, you should seek out a lawyer with experience in slip and fall cases because of a broken refrigerator. We will put your evidence together, write a demand letter to the relevant insurance company, hire expert witnesses, and negotiate a fair settlement for you.
What is the value of a refrigerator slip and fall lawsuit?
The value of a refrigerator slip and fall accident lawsuit will greatly depend on the circumstances of the case. The insurance agent handling the claim will weigh the different factors and act accordingly. The biggest factor will be your injuries, such as how severe they were and how much they impacted your daily life, future living abilities, current career, and future work opportunities. Additionally, he will look at how responsible you were for the incident; if you were partially to blame, you would likely earn a lower settlement offer Our goal will be to bring you every bit of compensation you deserve, such as:
- Medical expenses from the past and future to cover surgery, hospital stay, ambulatory transportation, prescription medication, physical rehabilitation, future medical procedures, and more
- Property damage if items in your home were broken in the incident or if you needed to repair or replace others, like the refrigerator
- Lost income if you were unable to go to work for a period of time or if you had to take additional days off in the future because of medical help
- Pain and suffering damages to combat emotional trauma, mental anguish, PTSD, anxiety, fear, and more
The goal of our firm is to provide our clients with the highest settlement possible. We always place our clients at the top of our priority list and we will pursue a major settlement for you from the get-go. Contact our refrigerator accident attorneys today to move forward.
How long do I have to file a lawsuit if I got hurt from a defective refrigerator?
California’s statute of limitations on personal injury cases is 2 years from the date of the incident. If you fail to sue within the mandated time frame, you claim will be tossed out. It is important that you take legal action as quickly as possible so that you do not run the risk of your evidence getting corrupted or lost afterwards. Often, claims are not filed because the victims fail to realize the statute of limitations is near or has passed. If you want to ensure that your lawsuit is filed, you should come to our lawyers. We will submit all necessary documents on time. If there are any exceptions to the statute, we will work to have it granted.
Learn more about your legal options: call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
Examples of exceptions to the statute of limitations include the following:
- Individuals who were underage at the time o the injury, which would mean the statute is suspended until the victim turns 18 years old and can legally sue
- Individuals who were left physically or mentally incapacitated after the incident, which would cause the statute to be on hold until they return to health and awareness
- Cases wherein the defendants have left the state or country for a period of time; because claims can only be filed against people who are present in the state, the statute would be frozen until they return
To learn more about how much time you have left on your lawsuit to sue for a defective refrigerator slip and fall accident, contact our attorneys today.
The Best Firm in Town
The Downtown LA Law Group is one of the most reputable firms in Los Angeles. We have a history of winning cases, and our team has collectively won hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients. We have the best methods and strategies for success, and our aggressive lawyers will not give up on your case. We will go to court if we have to in order to bring you the maximum restitution. For a free legal consultation about your case, call us today at (888) 649-7166. We will walk you through the legal process, tell you how much we feel your lawsuit is worth, and answer any questions you have. If you want to hire us to represent you, we will also give you our zero fee guarantee. This is a promise that you won’t have to pay any money out of pocket for our fees – we will only get paid if we win, and the money will come from the settlement we bring you. If we lose, you pay nothing. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Downtown LA Law Group today if you want to file a claim for a slip and fall accident caused by a broken or defective refrigerator.