Rear end collisions, sometimes referred to as “whiplash accidents” are the most common type of car accident. They are the result of a vehicle crashing into a car directly in front of it. It is reported that roughly twenty-eight (28) percent of all car accidents in the state of California are rear end collisions, accounting for roughly 2.5 million accidents yearly.
Causes of Rear End Collisions
Rear-end collisions are almost always avoidable. The major causes include:
- Following too closely – accidents result after a deceleration of the lead automobile
- Not paying attention – Inattentiveness causes delayed response times to lead vehicles, or a failure to stop altogether. The most common reports of driver’s lack of attention are:
- External distractions – i.e. another accident, construction zone, staring at animals
- Personal hygiene – fixing hair, applying make-up, shaving
- Driving distraction – fixing mirrors, checking center or side mirrors, looking back or out the window
- Cell phone – although technically, this could fall under the category of failure to pay attention, the rate of cell phone use while driving warrants a separate distinction
- Driver Cut Off – In instances where the driver was cut off and did not have ample time to stop, the fault may fall on the lead driver.
– Rear End Car Collision Lawyer
Rear-End Accident Injuries
Any settlement amount should include compensation for all of your injuries. Because accidents of this sort are so common, you may suffer any form of pain, including:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Nerve damage
- Scars, disfigurement, amputation
Very often, victims are not immediately aware of the severity of their injuries. Some types of harm are not apparent for days or even months following the incident. Many individuals are overwhelmed with the initial shock of the crash and are not aware that they have suffered serious or even life threatening injuries.
Rear End Accident Settlements
Insurance companies have become adept at low balling or denying rear-end accident claims. They will argue that damages were minor regardless of the extent of your injuries, and that your damages do not warrant pain and suffering damages. Rear end car accident settlement amounts are based on several factors. Although there is no clear formula or standard used to compute settlement amounts, insurance companies will consider 3 main variables: Special Damages – These are actual damages that have economic value. There is a dollar amount that can be assigned to these damages. Special damages include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity – How much less you will be earning as a result of your long term injuries. These damages are usually demonstrated through expert testimony.
General Damages: Compensation that are not tied to any economic or specific damages. In car accidents, general damages mostly include pain and suffering. Skill of Attorney – The amount of compensation you receive in a rear-end accident will rely heavily on the skill of an attorney. Insurance companies will add up the amount of special damages, and use that number to compute the amount of general damages. For rear-end collisions, they use a multiplier that can range anywhere from 1.5 times the special damages, to over 5 times special damages. It is up to your personal injury lawyer to negotiate that amount.
– Rear End Collision Car Accident Attorney
Our skill in handling these types of collisions is what sets us apart from other law firms. We feel that inherent in our job is the duty to procure the highest level of compensation. We employ a team model that allows us to maximize any settlement offer.
Car Accident Attorneys at Downtown L.A. Law Group
For clients involved in a rear end car accident, our team of attorneys are available to answer your questions. You will never have to pay to speak to an attorney will always have direct access to a member of our team of professionals. Contact us at (888) 649-7166