What happens when an unlicensed driver gets in an accident?
What happens if you get in an accident without a license?
What Drivers Have No License?There are various kinds of drivers who do not have licenses. It is illegal to operate a car without a valid driver’s license, and it is also illegal to commercially drive if you lack a license as well. Some people may lie about the validity of their licenses while others have suspended licenses that can be obtained again after a certain amount of time. Some of the reasons there are unlicensed drivers include:
- Teenagers: Although you can have a fully operational and unrestricted license at 18, there are numerous teenagers who may drive vehicles without any license whatsoever. They may take family member’s cars out to learn how to drive, or they may drive vehicles of friends. This is especially dangerous if the teenager has not had any training in how to safely and adequately operate an automobile.
- Individuals who relied on public transportation: Some people simply never got a license or tested for one because they always took the train or the bus everywhere. However, they may need to get behind the wheel for an emergency or to learn how to drive, only to get in an accident.
- Individuals with a history of reckless driving, careless driving, or DUIs: It is not uncommon for repeat offenders who have broken driving laws to have their licenses suspended. When this happens, many choose to still drive without any valid documents. They reason that they still need to get to work and still have responsibilities, but the risk of driving without a license can increase the punishment if they are caught.
- Elderly drivers who failed tests: There are specific tests that can be administered to elderly drivers by the California Motor Vehicle Department. Some elderly drivers may have their licenses revoked because of these tests. However, in an effort to retain their independence, or perhaps out of pride, they continue to drive even without a license.
- Careless adults who did not renew their licenses: Some adults simply do not pay attention to the expiration dates on their licenses. In the eyes of the law, though, an expired license is equal to no license at all.
- Foreign individuals or illegal immigrants: People who are in the country illegally may not get a license, and they are usually lacking in other documents as well. They may not have insurance, either. However, some insurance companies provide such individuals with insurance as a way of making money – the only requirement is the possession of a valid driver’s license in another country.
To speak with a Los Angeles car accident lawyer, call (855) 339-8879.
Insurance Of Unlicensed DriversAlthough it is fairly common for people without licenses to also not have insurance coverage, in California, you can have auto insurance without possessing a valid driver’s license. This will cover the vehicle and can also have liability coverage as well. There are a few reasons for this, but one of the key ones is to make sure that anyone using the vehicle is covered. However, there are times when the car was borrowed without permission or when someone let an unlicensed driver operate the car without knowledge of the circumstances. In these instances, you will need to communicate with the insurance provider for the person who owns the car or the person who was operating the vehicle. You can also speak with an attorney to see if some party were additionally at fault for allowing an unlicensed driver to operate a vehicle. If you are involved in a crash with a driver who does not have insurance in addition to not having a license, you may be able to receive compensation by inquiring into your own auto insurance policy. Your provider generally offers underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage; this would allow you to have the necessary damages taken care of, but it will be more problematic given the fact that the accident was not your fault.
Procedure After A Car CrashA car accident can be frightening and it can make you lose focus of what to do. You should follow these steps to ensure that you will have enough evidence to file a claim and to receive compensation. Firstly, you should contact paramedics to get treated for any injuries you suffered in the crash. Even if you feel that you were not badly hurt, you should still get medical help. The professionals will identify any troubles with you, even those that may not immediately appear. You should not wait too long to get medical treatment. Next, you should take pictures of your injuries, the scene of the crash, the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle, and more. The more evidence you have in picture (and even in video) form, the more credence your claim will have
What Can I Earn In A Car Accident ClaimBy filing a personal injury lawsuit, you will be in pursuit of various types of compensation for your damages stemming from a car crash. These damages can cover different expenses that racked up as a result of the incident. You could be compensated for the following:
- Medical bills from the past and future
- Property damage
- Lost wages from the past and future
- Pain and suffering damages
- Wrongful death expenses
- Punitive damages
Why Choose DTLA Law GroupThe Downtown LA Law Group has a team of professional lawyers who can help you with your case. We are one of the top-rated firms in the city and our decades of combined experience have allowed us to recover millions of dollars for our clients. We will stop at nothing to win you the damages you deserve. If we have to take your case to court, our aggressive lawyers will fight for your rights in front of a judge and jury. (855) 339-8879 :Downtown LA Law Group.
YOU Deserve the Best
Free Case Review 24/7
You Don’t Pay unless we win
Call (855) 339-8879
By submitting this form, you agree to receive telephone calls and text messages at anytime, which include hours outside of business hours (8:00 am PST – 9:00 pm PST). This is so that we may reach you as soon as possible in order to consult on your potential case.
Car accident Types
– Head-on collision
– Hit and Run accident
– Intersection accident
– Low impact collision
– 3 Car accident
– Rear end collision
– Rollover accident
– Single car accidents
– T-bone accident
– Sideswipe accident
– Side impact accident
– Distracted driving
– Drunk driving
– Uber/Lyft accident
– Uninsured motorist accident
– Highway accident
– Unsafe lane change accident
– Causes of car accidents
– Taxi cab accident
– Drowsy driving
– Unlicensed driver accident
– Elderly driver accident
– Speeding accident
– Parking Gate Arm Attorney
– Parking lot control arm injuries
– Pedestrians Hit By Cars In Parking Lot
– Parking Structure Car Crash Lawsuit
– Defective Product claims
Free Case Review 24/7