Nationally, there are over 6 million car accidents per year. These accidents result in over 2 million injuries and over 35,000 deaths – many of which are innocent individuals not even responsible for the accident at all. They could have been in neighboring vehicles or stopped at lights when they were struck. There are also pedestrians that are injured
, bicyclists, and more who are involved in such crashes. If you have been involved in a car accident, you can pursue legal compensation for your damages. Our team of Lakewood car accident lawyers
at the Downtown LA Law Group can assist you in filing a lawsuit for your car crash. We will work around the clock to ensure that you are given the maximum compensation available under the law.
What Are The Most Common Causes Of Car Accidents?
Car accidents are most commonly caused by a driver’s negligent action or reckless behavior. For example, over 30% of car accidents can be attributed to drunk driving, while over 50% featured some sort of speeding or careless driving. Unfortunately, the majority of car accidents are primarily caused by one driver
, and victims are not usually liable. Some of the types of car accidents that happen most often include rear-end crashes at stop lights, T-bone accidents at intersections, and head-on collisions on county roads or main streets.
Individuals that are responsible for car crashes often make errors while driving or do not pay close enough attention to the road. Some of the causes include:
- Texting while driving
- Drunk driving
- Not using turn signals
- Merging too slowly or improperly
- Running red lights
- Running stop signs
- Failing to yield to other traffic
- Ignoring right of way laws at intersections
- Driving while tired
There are also other causes of accidents that are not directly related to how an individual is operating his vehicles. These causes do not absolve the person of responsibility, though; if anything, drivers should be even more careful in certain conditions or when there are issues beyond their control. Examples include:
- Adverse weather (snow, sleet, rain, fog)
- Road defects (potholes, lack of lighting)
- Sharp turns, steep hills, sudden drops, hidden curves, and hidden driveways
- Vehicle defects (tire troubles, brake failure, engine problems, broken lights)
No matter what the cause of the accident, you should be willing to take legal action against the responsible party. You should pursue your fair compensation, as it is not right for you to pay off expenses and debts that were essentially caused by the negligent action of another entity. For more help, contact
a car accident lawyer in Lakewood.
What Are Common Injuries From Car Accidents?
Most of the time, car accidents are simply fender benders that do not result in extensive damages or severe injuries. There is little that can be done, if anything at all, in the form of compensation. However, high speed crashes and inadvertent collisions may result in much more devastating injuries. Some of the physical injuries we have seen include:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Torn muscles
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Closed head injuries
- Knee and hip damage
- Spinal cord damage and herniated or slipped discs
- Neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Puncture wounds
- Crushing injuries
- Severed limbs and digits
- Paraplegia and quadriplegia
Some injuries may take a few weeks to heal, while others may be permanent. The severity of your injuries will play a key role in the settlement offer you receive from the insurance agency. If you were hurt in a car crash, contact
our Lakewood car accident attorneys
to get started on your lawsuit.
What Should I Do After A Car Crash?
We know how confusing and troublesome it can be to be involved in a car accident. You may not know what to do immediately afterward and you may forget important steps. You could even go so far as to leave the scene or forget to collect any information at all. If you need to be walked through what to do afterwards, feel free to call our lawyers for more assistance. We can help you through the process.
You should make sure to:
- Go to the doctor or get medical treatment from paramedics as quickly as possible. If you wait too long to get treatment, the insurance agent can claim that you were hurt elsewhere. We know that you may not always feel greatly injured after a crash, but that can be attributed to the adrenaline and to injuries that do not immediately manifest. It is best for your claim if you do not have a gap between the accident or injury and the treatment.
- Write down the insurance details and personal contact information of the driver who hit you, if he stuck around. Sometimes, responsible drivers will flee the scene and you will not have anyone you can get details from. You may not have even been able to get the license plate on the car. In this case, you could potentially pursue underinsured/uninsured coverage from your insurance carrier.
- Take photos of your injuries to prove that you were hurt in the crash. Before and after pictures are beneficial to have. You can also take pictures of the scene of the accident and the damage to your vehicle to show the extent of the crash.
- Keep any documents that you can find that are related to the crash. You may ask the police for a copy of the police report, get medical notes from the paramedics, get the bill and summary from the hospital if you were treated in urgent care or the emergency room, and retain any witness statements and testimonies from passengers or bystanders.
After a crash, make sure to contact
a skilled car accident attorney in Lakewood
. You may not have the necessary legal experience to handle your claim by yourself, and you could very well be unable to secure fair compensation. You may have your claim thrown out if you are not careful. Our lawyers will litigate your lawsuit from start to finish – you won’t have to worry about anything throughout the entire process.
Do I Have A Car Crash Case?
You can have a successful car crash lawsuit if you can prove that the other driver was negligent in his duties and brought about the incident. To do this, you must show negligence in four points. These four points are as follows:
- You were owed a duty of care by the driver
- The driver breached the duty of care
- The breach of duty led to an accident of some kind
- The accident resulted in physical injuries
If you were not harmed in the crash, you won’t be able to pursue damages in a personal injury lawsuit. You will only be able to get compensated for property damage and lost wages. This is very important, as some individuals may try to get excessive damages without cause.
If you have ample evidence, you will have a positive chance of success with your claim. Our team of car accident attorneys in Lakewood
will be able to organize your evidence and submit it to the insurance agency. We will negotiate the fairest settlement for you and won’t rest until we’re satisfied with the result.
What Can I Receive In A Car Accident Lawsuit?
You can recover various types of damages from the insurance agency with the help of our law firm. You should not be expected to cover the expenses resulting from the accident; after all, if it weren’t for the other driver, you would not have been in a crash in the first place. We will tirelessly work to secure you everything you deserve, including:
- Medical expenses from surgery, hospitalization, medication, future treatments, physical therapy, and more
- Property damage for any items or belongings that were lost or broken
- Lost wages from the past and future
- Emotional pain and suffering to cover PTSD, fear, anxiety, psychological trauma, and more
- Wrongful death damages if a loved one passed away in the accident, such as funeral expenses, pre-death medical bills, pre-death pain and suffering, loss of income, loss of savings and inheritance, loss of relations and consortium, and more
You can also collect punitive damages if the driver were grossly negligent or intentionally tried to harm you. These damages are handed out to punish the defendant but they are often viewed as excessive; only a qualified lawyer with experience in car accident will be able to win them for you.
The Best Firm for You
Tour team of Lakewood car accident attorneys
at the Downtown LA Law Group has ample experience with car crash lawsuits. We have spent many years involved in handling such claims and we know the best tactics and strategies to winning your case and negotiating a fair deal from the insurance agent. We won’t stop aggressively striving to win your damages, and if we have to go to court, we are willing to do so. Choosing DTLA Law Group is the wise choice if you want the best representation available.
Reach out to our firm for a free legal consultation. We’ll answer all your questions and tell you how much we think we can win for you. We will also give you more details about our zero fee guarantee, which states that you won’t spend any money throughout the case. We will get paid if we win and the money will come from the settlement we bring you; if we lose, we take no payment at all.
Let our car accident attorney in Lakewood
handle your claim for you. Call the Downtown LA Law Group
at (855) 339-8879