What Causes Car Accidents?There are millions of cars on the road and millions of drivers of all ages. Some are very experienced and others are inexperienced, and some are very careful while others are reckless. However, that doesn’t mean you only have to worry about inexperienced or reckless drivers. Even the safest individuals can get into accidents. Some of the primary causes of car accidents can be attributed to simple negligence. A driver may not pay attention for a split second and miss the chance to react to a car turning into his lane, for example. An accident may also be caused because two individuals did not see each other as they were merging onto a free way. There are many possibilities, and we have outlined a few below.
- Driver fatigue
- Drinking and driving
- Vehicle defect
- Reckless or careless driving
- Failure to signal when turning
- Ignoring right of way
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Turning left into oncoming traffic
- Texting while driving
- Failure to properly merge onto a freeway
What Are Some Common Car Accident Injuries?Car accidents can be as harmless as fender benders or they could be as devastating as multi-vehicle pileups. There are numerous ways to get injured, even with the safety precautions of seatbelts and airbags. Many victims of car accidents wind up with bodily injuries that take a while to heal; in some cases, these damages are permanent. There are over 5,000,000 people injured per year in car accidents, which is no small number. Common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Closed head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Torn muscles
- Abrasions and lacerations
- Crushing injuries
- Severed limbs and digits
- Paraplegia and quadriplegia
What Should I Do If I Got Into A Car Accident?In the wake of a car accident, many victims panic and do not know what to do. They may forget crucial steps to take, which could negatively impact their potential insurance claims. Here are the steps you should take if you were involved in a car crash:
- Immediately seek medical attention or call the paramedics for assistance. If you do not get medical treatment right away and try to file a claim later, the insurance agent can view that gap as a red flag. We know that some injuries may take time or may not be apparent at first, but you should still get treated quickly. “ Take photos of all the damage sustained, including your injuries, the damage to your car and the other vehicle, any damage to the scene of the accident, and more. “ Take down the contact information and insurance details of the driver who hit you so you can file a claim with his insurance company.
- If there were any eyewitnesses, passengers, or bystanders who saw the accident, you can ask them for their testimony to back up your claim.
- The police will likely come to conduct an investigation. You can request a copy of the police report once it’s been finalized.
- Lastly, you should contact a car accident lawyer in Chula Vista to help you handle your case. You may not have the experience needed to take legal action, and you could be lost when it comes to negotiating a settlement with the insurance agent. Our lawyers have years of experience with car accidents and we will sufficiently represent you for your case.
What Is The Statute Of Limitations To File A Car Accident Claim In California?You only have two years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit against the responsible party if you were hurt in a car accident. The reason for this statute is simple: if claims had no time limit, they would become much harder to prove. Evidence would get lost, memories would fade, and many of the damages would no longer be relevant. It is in your favor to file a claim quickly so you can have the best chance of success. You may be able to have the statute of limitations extended by a certain amount of time, though. This can occur if you were underage at the time of the accident, as minors cannot file lawsuits; the statute would thus be put on hold until you turn 18 years old. Further, you may have been seriously hurt in the accident and unable to physically or mentally sue, which could extend the statute as well. In some cases, the defendant may have left the state for a certain period of time, which would put your deadline on hold until he returned. It can be confusing to remember the exact dates and deadlines for your lawsuit. For this reason, we recommend reaching out to a car accident attorney in Chula Vista who can file your claim for you and make sure everything is on time.
Get started today by calling (213) 389-3765.
What’s The Value Of My Car Accident Case?There is generally no way to know for sure what a car accident claim is worth until the insurance agent weighs all of the factors and provides you with an offer. This offer will consist of the level of negligence you had in the accident, how severe and extensive your injuries were, how much of an impact your injuries had on your career and life, your age, your career type, and more. Once this offer has been made, we can negotiate a fairer deal. You may be able to earn a few different types of compensation for your damages, though. These damages can range in amount and type, and some may be harder to win than others. They include:
- Medical expenses from surgery, hospitalization, physical therapy, medication, and more
- Future medical treatments from lasting damages or follow-ups
- Lost wages from the past and future if you missed days of work and need time to recover
- Property damage to cover the repair costs to your car or replace any items you had that were lost or damaged in the incident
- Pain and suffering damages to cover emotional traumas like PTSD, fear, anxiety, psychological scarring, and more
Learn more about your legal options by chatting with a representative now.Punitive damages may also be collected, but only if the defendant was guilty of gross negligence or if he intended to cause harm. These damages are usually viewed as excessive, though, as they are purely monetary and are meant to punish the defendant. Because they are not easy to win, only a skilled attorney will be able to secure them for your case. If you need legal help after a car crash, call our law firm today for more assistance. Our Chula Vista car accident attorneys will be glad to help you.