There are over 3 million people injured per year in over 6 million car accidents
. These numbers are startling, but given how common it is for drivers to disobey traffic regulations and laws, it can be expected. Because of the prevalence of car accidents and injuries
, there are many opportunities for claims to be filed against responsible drivers and their insurance companies. It can be a troublesome process to go through with a car accident claim, but it can be worth it in the end, as you can have all of your expenses paid off if you can show that the other driver was particularly negligent and caused the accident. Fortunately, you can contact the Downtown LA Law Group
for more assistance. Our Baldwin Park car accident attorneys
have years of experience dealing with car accident lawsuits
, and we have won millions of dollars in compensation for our clients.
How Do Car Accidents Happen?
There are hundreds of thousands of individuals on the road every day, so it is no surprise that there is ample negligence occurring everywhere. You may be the safest and most defensive driver on the road, but another individual could still crash into you despite your best efforts to stay safe. There are many ways that car crashes can happen, such as:
- Reckless driving
- Ignoring right of way laws
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
- Driving while tired
- Defective vehicles
- Inclement weather
- Running red lights and stop signs
A simple case of rolling through a stop sign can cause a multi-car collision. We often see rear-end crashes and head-on collisions result in numerous injuries on the freeway, while sideswipes and T-bone crashes occur most often on residential streets.
Accidents can occur anywhere – whether at the airport, a school parking lot, a parking garage, the highway, the gas station, and more. You should always be prepared in case of a car accident
. If you need assistance, contact
our lawyers in Baldwin Park.
What Should I Do After A Car Crash?
After a car accident, it is important that you get to a safe place, whether by yourself or by being transported to a hospital. The severity of your injuries can play a role in where you end up. If you follow these steps, you will be adequately protected in the event of an accident.
- Get medical attention from the paramedics or be taken to the hospital. Your injuries may need immediate treatment, such as surgery, and you simply cannot wait to get help. If you are not severely hurt, you should still be checked regardless. This is to protect you in case you feel injured later and go to the doctor. The insurance agent will point to the long gap between the accident and the diagnosis or treatment and raise his suspicions.
- Photograph your injuries, request the medical notes, ask for a copy of the hospital bill, and collect anything else that will show that you were hurt in the accident. Some insurance agents will claim that you were not injured at all.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, the damage to your car, the damage to the other vehicle, and anything else that can show the consequences of the crash.
- If there were any eyewitnesses who saw the accident happen, you can request statements and testimonies from them to help with your evidence. This will show that you were not the only one who saw the accident, and they can support who was at fault.
- The police will likely show up to conduct an investigation if there were injuries, which means you can request a copy of the police report once it has been processed and is available.
- Copy down the personal contact information and insurance details of the driver of the car who hit you. You can then reach out to the insurance agency to file a claim.
- Importantly, you should get in touch with a skilled car accident lawyer in Baldwin Park who can effectively handle your case. You may not have any legal experience, which means you could potentially open a claim that you have no idea how to win. You will likely be unable to even get to the negotiation process if you haven’t deal with a lawsuit before.
Fortunately, our Baldwin Park car accident lawyers are well-equipped
to take the reins and bring you what you deserve from your lawsuit.
What Are Some Car Accident Injuries?
You may sustain a number of different injuries from a car crash. In fact, car crashes are one of the leading sources of fatalities in the country, causing thousands of deaths each year. There is no certain way to guarantee safety in a car in case of an accident; some people can walk away from devastating wrecks and others have died from relatively slow rear end collisions that aggravated brain and heart troubles. Seat belts, air bags, and other safety precautions do prevent scores of deaths, but there are still injuries that afflict victims. Some include:
- Torn muscles
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Knee and hip injuries
- Neck and spinal cord damage
- Herniated and slipped discs
- Severed limbs
Some of these injuries can be permanent and lead to difficulty in everyday life and in pursuing job opportunities. A simple car accident has been enough to render people disabled from the neck down. If you have been injured in a car crash, you should do all you can to take legal action for fair compensation.
How Do I File A Car Accident Claim Against The Insurance Company?
If you wish to file a car accident lawsuit, you must have ample evidence on your side and you must be able to prove that the other driver was negligent in his duty of care. All drivers owe a duty of care to everyone else on the road; this means that they must not partake in any actions that could potentially harm others.
If this duty of care is breached in some way, and an accident occurs that results in physical harm, you can have enough grounds for a claim. All four of these points of negligence must be met in order for you to have a successful lawsuit. If even one is not true, you likely won’t succeed. For example, if you wish to file a personal injury lawsuit, you must have been physically harmed. The lack of bodily injury means that you wouldn’t be able to pursue medical expenses and other damages.
However, if you were not physically injured, you will likely only need to file a claim to recover the costs of damaged property and lost wages. This means that your evidence may only include an estimate from a mechanic and a pay stub – thus eliminating the need for a lawyer, as there is very little to be negotiated. However, when there are injuries involved, the insurance agent will try to argue that you were not as badly hurt or that you did not need the treatment you received. In this case, a lawyer will greatly benefit your case.
What Kind Of Compensation Can I Earn From A Car Accident Lawsuit?
If you have been injured in a car accident
, you can receive various types of compensation and coverage for your expenses. Our lawyers will work around the clock to bring you restitution for the expenses you deserve, including:
- Medical bills (surgery, medication, physical therapy, future treatments)
- Property damage (lost or broken personal items, vehicle damage)
- Lost wages from the past and future at your job
- Pain and suffering damages (PTSD, anxiety, fear, emotional trauma, psychological suffering)
In some cases, you can even receive punitive damages, which are handed out in times of gross negligence or when the defendant intended to cause harm. These additional forms of monetary compensation are usually viewed as excessive, though, and can only be won by skilled car accident attorneys
You may also be able to receive wrongful death expenses if a family member or loved one passed away from his or her injuries from the accident. The responsible party can pay out funeral and burial expenses, loss of consortium and relations, loss of expected savings and earnings, pre-death medical bills, pre-death pain and suffering damages, and more.
Let our Baldwin Park car accident attorneys help you, and we promise to bring you the maximum compensation we can under the law.
What Is The Statute Of Limitations For Car Accident Lawsuits?
In California, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury lawsuit
to collect damages from a car accident is two years from the date of the injury. The injury could pop up at a later time than the accident happened, which could be confusing for some individuals. If you do not take legal action within this time frame, you will be barred from receiving any restitution at all.
It is possible for the statute of limitations to be extended under certain circumstances. For example, if you were underage when the accident happened or if you were severely wounded to the point that you could not file a claim, you would not have to adhere to the two-year statute right away. The deadline would begin when you reached legal age or returned to health.
Further, the statute can be extended if the defendant left the state for a certain period of time, which would make it impossible to take action against him. The countdown would resume when he returned to the state.
You may not know how much time is left on your claim or if you are eligible for any exceptions. A car accident lawyer in Baldwin Park can take care of your case and ensure all of your documents are submitted on time.
DTLA: The Firm That Cares For You
Our team of attorneys at the Downtown LA Law Group
promises to work around the clock to bring you every bit of compensation you deserve. We will go to court to fight for your rights if necessary, and we will be aggressive and relentless when it comes to negotiating with the insurance agency.
Call us at (888) 649-7166
for a free legal consultation about your case where you can learn more about the legal process, the value of your claim, and how we plan to move forward. We will also give you more details about our zero fee guarantee, which promises that we won’t get paid unless and until we win your claim. If we lose, we do not get any payment at all.
If you are in Baldwin Park
and you need a car accident lawyer, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the DTLA Law Group