Were you involved in an auto accident? In addition to suffering injuries, it is also possible that your vehicle was significantly damaged. Depending on the severity of the accident, your vehicle might require extensive body repair prior to getting it back on the road. If you filed an insurance claim, the insurance company handling your claim might have recommended that you go to a specific repair shop.
Going to the repair shop suggested by the insurance company can be convenient; however, opting for convenience can sometimes do more harm than good. Many people will simply tell you to never go to the body shop suggested by the insurance company, but they will not tell you why.
There are a number of reasons to not go to the body shop recommended by an insurance company. At Downtown L.A. Law Group, our experts have put together a list of these reasons to help you during this complicated time.
Why You Shouldn’t Go to the Suggested Body Shop
After a car accident, affected parties often have to take their vehicles to a body shop. Body shops handle the property damage aspect of the accidents. They repair any damage to the vehicle to ensure that it is safe to get back on the road. In most cases, insurance companies recommend certain body shops, and claimants feel compelled to go to them.
Without a doubt, finding a body shop to repair the damage to your car can be complex – after a car accident, many people simply do not want to deal with it. Insurance companies conveniently work with body shops; they recommend that their claimants go to these specific repair shops. However, going to the body shop recommended by the insurance company isn’t always the best option, even if it is the most convenience.
There are a number of reasons why claimants shouldn’t go to the suggested body shop. Consider the following points:
- These body shops have a business relationship with the insurance company, meaning that they will always prioritize the insurance company over you.
- Sending claimants to preferred body shops allows insurance companies to have more control over their costs.
- Insurance companies will always suggests body shops that will ultimately lower their costs, not the body shops that will do the best repair job.
- State insurance regulations allow claimants to choose body shops independently after an accident (this is true in California).
- Body shops that work in affiliation with insurance companies are often more concerned about keeping costs low than repairing the vehicle effectively.
Tips for Finding a Body Shop
After making the decision to choose your own body shop, rather than going to the shop suggested by your insurance company, there are a number of things that you should do to ensure that you are going to the appropriate body shop that could repair your vehicle successfully.
Consider the following suggestions:
- Ask for recommendations – it is likely that friends or families, and even acquaintances, have had their vehicles repaired at body shops at one point or another. Ask about their experiences with body shops and whether they could recommend a shop that has done good work for them in the past.
- Research – there are a number of websites in which consumers can review businesses, such as body shops. Do your homework. Look for the body shop with positive reviews. You should also keep an eye out for complaints from other consumers.
- Ask for estimates – before you decide, it is important that you ask for estimates. You will likely have to take your car in so that it could be evaluated thoroughly before getting an estimate. Not only will this allow you to make sure you are getting a fair price, but also to ensure that your car is getting the necessary repairs.
- Check the state of the business – specifically, look for an organized body shop with modern equipment. Although a disorganized shop with outdated equipment can certainly get the job done, cleanliness reflects a certain level of professionalism that is important when looking for a body shop to handle your repairs.
Following the suggestions listed above can help you during the process of finding a body shop. Another important thing is to always follow your instincts. You might have researched a body shop that a family member recommended; the body shop might be professional and fair. However, if you have any doubts, specifically concerning communications and respect, for example, do not hesitate to simply move on and find another shop.
Seek Legal Assistance Today
Were you involved in an auto accident that damaged your car? If so, you might be attempting to work with your insurance company to get the necessary repairs done. It is possible that your insurance company is purposefully making things difficult for you. Instead of dealing with the insurance company yourself, simply seek legal assistance with the experts at our law firm immediately. Our lawyers are ready to evaluate your claim and provide you with all the legal assistance that you might need to ensure that your claim is taken seriously.
At Downtown L.A. Law Group, our lawyers have many years of experience handling all sorts of claims, including auto accidents claims. Our auto accident attorneys are knowledgeable in property damage claims in relation to car accidents and are ready to guide you during the entire process. Our experts are ready to ensure that your insurance company takes your claim seriously and gives you the payout that you deserve.
At our firm, we are dedicated to remaining accessible to all; therefore, we offer free legal services. Our free legal services include free consultations as well as free second opinions. During our free consultations and free second opinions, our lawyers will be available to answer all your questions, address all your concerns, and provide you with all the information that you might need to pursue your claim. If you would like to benefit from our free legal services and speak with our experts, do not hesitate to contact our firm today.
Our firm offers a Zero-Fee guarantee that ensures that our clients never have to worry about paying upfront legal fees for our legal services; our firm is also based on a strict contingency structure. You will never be required to pay anything until after your claim is successful.
If you are ready to speak with the experts at our firm, do not hesitate to contact us today.