If you have been involved in a car crash, you may be confused, uncertain, and frustrated. You may not know what to do or where to turn, especially if you have racked up expenses and need to figure out a way to pay for them. It is not fair that you would be expected to cover such debts if you were not responsible for the accident in the first place
. Often, victims will fight for their rightful compensation but will not make much headway because of how difficult it can be to deal with insurance agents. This is where our Oceanside car accident lawyers can help you
– we have recovered millions of dollars for our clients in car accident lawsuits
and know the best methods to winning your case. Contact our team of professionals at the highly rated Downtown LA Law Group
for more assistance.
Causes of Car Crashes
There are many ways that car accidents happen
. They may happen in innocuous locations like parking lots or they can happen in traffic on the highway. It may be the outright fault of another driver or it may be due to a sudden malfunction with your vehicle. Some examples include:
- Vehicle malfunction, like blown tires, brake troubles, broken lights, engine troubles, and more, some of which may be attributed to a product defect straight from the manufacturer, but which also may be blamed on the driver taking improper care of the vehicle
- Speeding, which causes drivers to be unable to properly and adequately stop or react to sudden problems
- Tailgating, which can cause visibility problems and an inability to safely stop at a reasonable distance
- Turning errors, such as not using signals or turning into walkways and in front of traffic, which can cause various types of crashes with oncoming traffic and pedestrians
- Running stop signs and red lights, which can cause T-bone accidents, rear-end crashes, and more
- Poor weather, like snow, fog, rain, and more that can make visibility low and control of your car difficult
- Road defects that cause accidents secondarily, such as sharp turns, narrow roads, sudden curves, potholes, loose gravel, and more
- Driver negligence, like drunk driving, texting while driving, using a GPS while behind the wheel, driving while tired, and more
You should always be careful when driving, as there is the chance that you can be involved in a crash unknowingly. You should practice defensive driving and place yourself in no risky situations, but there are times when even this tactic proves incapable of preventing a crash. Someone may simply pull out of a driveway without looking and hit you, no matter how safely you were driving.
Injuries from Car Accidents
A car accident can be devastating
. You may suffer injuries that you otherwise would not have a chance of being afflicted by, and some injuries are much more likely to be permanent if they occur in the high velocity of a car accident. A common injury that is seldom seen outside of car crashes is whiplash
, or a sudden movement of the neck which can cause it to sprain and be stiff and sore for weeks.
Other injuries include:
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones
- Torn muscles
- Closed head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severed limbs and digits
- Internal organ injuries
- Neck damage
- Spinal cord damage and disc troubles
- Knee injuries to the LCL, ACL, MCL, and more
- Hip damage
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injuries and death in the country. It is crucial that you get medical help quickly and that you take legal action if you need your expenses covered. Treatment may be extensive, and if you need surgery or months of therapy, the responsible party should pay for the costs. Bear n mind that if your injury were not that severe (such as a sprained ankle or a mild concussion), you would likely not have a huge settlement offer. Our car accident lawyers in Oceanside
can make sure that you are given a satisfactory result, though.
Procedure after a Car Accident
If you were involved in a car accident, you should follow these steps to ensure that you do not face further harm and that you have ample evidence for your lawsuit:
- Go to the doctor for medical treatment or get help from the paramedics (refusing to do so can be a red flag to insurance agents, as they can say that you were not injured in the accident and you are merely pursuing compensation later due to a different accident)
- Take photos of the injuries you suffered, whether while at the scene or at the hospital
- Keep any medical notes and bills or receipts from the hospital and doctor
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident
- Take different angles and videos of the damage to your car, including if anything has been rendered defective (such as if doors no longer open)
- Write down the insurance information, contacts, and personal details of the driver who responsible for the accident
- Interview eyewitnesses and bystanders to get their statements and testimonies on the accident
- Request a copy of the police report from the precinct if the police came to conduct an investigation (they will usually only do this if there were injuries)
- Contact a qualified attorney with expertise in car accident lawsuits
The assistance of a skilled attorney is crucial if you have never filed a lawsuit or if you do not know how to deal with insurance agents. Many individuals do not have experience in negotiations or any legal matters, and they often see their claims thrown out or they cannot reach the insurance agent at all. Our Oceanside car accident lawyers are well equipped to handle your case for you.
In order to file a lawsuit, you must be able to show that you were the victim of negligence. To do this, you must prove four points: that you were owed a duty of care, that the duty of care was breached, that the breach of duty resulted in an accident, and that the accident led to physical injuries.
All four of these points must be true or your claim will not go through. For example, you must have been actually injured to file a personal injury claim, and if you weren’t, you can only collect damages for broken property or lost income. However, these damages are usually able to be negotiated without the assistance of a lawyer because they are much lower and do not leave much room for argument.
Statute of Limitations for Car Crash Lawsuits
The statute of limitations allows you a certain amount of time to file a claim before you will be legally barred from doing so. In California, you have 2 years to take legal action or you won’t have any ability to pursue compensation. Those who were under the age of 18 at the time of the accident can follow the two year limit once they turn legal age.
An accident may leave you mentally or physically incapable of taking legal action, which would allow you postpone following the statute until you return to health. This time limit can be determined by a physician, for example.
Also, the defendant must be present if you wish to sue for damages. If he vacated the state, you can wait until he returns to sue, and the time limit will not have counted down during his absence.
There are some notable exceptions to the statute of limitations, and a car accident lawyer in Murrieta can help you understand how much time you have left to sue.
Earnings from a Car Accident Lawsuit
The restitution you can receive from a car accident lawsuit can cover the expenses that accrued after the incident. You should not be expected to cover these debts. We can help you earn the following:
- Medical bills from the accident from the past and future
- Lost wages from the past and future
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death damages
- Punitive damages
Our lawyers will strive to bring you the maximum compensation available under the law.
Let Us Help
The Downtown LA Law Group
has a team of car accident attorneys in Oceanside who will be able to litigate your claim for you and ensure that you are fully covered in the event of an accident. We have been dealing with car accident lawsuits since we began practicing law, and our success stories speak for themselves.
You can reach out to our lawyers for a free consultation. Your consultation will be totally confidential and you can ask us whatever you like during the discussion. If you want to know what we can potentially win for you or what your case is worth, we will help you understand the value of your claim.
If you hire us
, we’ll give you our zero fee guarantee. This prevents you from touching your own savings during the legal process. We will cover all legal costs and will only get paid if we win your case. The money will come out of the settlement we win for you. If we don’t win, we won’t require you to owe us anything, and we will eat the losses. You can walk away without having your personal finances altered at all.
The Downtown LA Law Group
can provide you with a team of qualified Oceanside car accident lawyers
today if you need. Call us at (855) 339-8879
for more information.