The death of a loved one is a tragedy. In many instances family members including husbands, wives, siblings, and parents of the deceased have to foot the cost of a funeral. Funeral costs can run into the tens of thousands of dollars. What’s more many family are left without the deceased individuals source of income and or must take on the debts left behind. Relatives of deceased victims have the right to file a wrongful death cause of action against all at fault parties. The Downtown LA law Firm protects the legal rights of relatives of the deceased in auto accidents, acts of violence, medical malpractice, workplace incidents resulting in death. Filing a Wrongful Death Cause of Action: The State of California permits certain relatives to file a wrongful death lawsuit against individuals who’s negligent or intentional actions resulted in the death of a family member. The statute states the following relatives who are permitted to filed a claims including, “The decedent’s surviving spouse, domestic partner, children, and issue of deceased children, or, if there is no surviving issue of the decedent, the persons, including the surviving spouse or domestic partner, who would be entitled to the property of the decedent by intestate succession.”
- Damages Recoverable in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit:
- Funeral expenses which may include – funeral home services, cemetery services, cost of caskets, flowers, and other miscellaneous expenses.
- Loss of future earnings of the deceased individual
- Loss of consortium against 3rd party by surviving husband or wife
- Payment of debts including medical expenses arising from the accident