are an issue no matter where they are, whether in an apartment complex or in a hotel room. Unfortunately, there are many more opportunities these days to be afflicted by a bed bug infestation
because of the rise in AirBNB. AirBNB is a company that allows property owners to rent out their homes to guests and visitors for days at a time. The renters select different places they wish to stay and the app handles the booking process. However, not all of these property owners do their due diligence and ensure that the homes are properly fumigated or safe and sanitary. They may not come back to the house to investigate it thoroughly in between guests, either, especially if it is a second property on which they do not permanently live. If you were bitten by bed bugs while at an AirBNB
, you could take legal action against the company. Our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
, will help you file your case against the business and secure you the settlement you deserve.
How can I identify bed bugs?
Many visitors at AirBNB locations
do not know what bed bugs look like. They simply wake up and discover that they were bitten and wind up itching all day. They may even bring the infestation home with them at the end of the journey. It is crucial that you be able to identify bed bugs. Here are some characteristics of bed bugs:
- Bed bugs are 1-5mm in length, with small, flat, round bodies that engorge when filled with blood, and turn from a reddish brown to a deeper color when full
- They are mobile, but only by crawling, and this limited movements means that they often try to nest as close to their victims as possible
- They are often mistaken for fleas, but fleas can jump long distances and generally stick to pet areas and on animals
- It is possible for bed bugs to last months without taking a single feeding, and they are very difficult to kill
They prefer to feast on human blood and do so at night due to being nocturnal; they crawl onto the victim, bite them (unfeelingly, since they have an anesthetic agent in their saliva) and drink the blood for minutes at a time (thanks to an anti-coagulant also present in the saliva)
— Airbnb Dog Bite Injuries
— Airbnb Injury Attorney in San Diego
— Airbnb Injury Lawyer in Los Angeles
— Airbnb Injury Lawyer in San Francisco
— Slip and Fall Accident at an Airbnb
— Sexually Assaulted In An Airbnb
It is possible that you could wake up with the bites on your exposed flesh. They may be red welts that slightly itch and can fester and turn into sores if they are scratched. If you want to locate bed bugs in the AirBNB
, you should look in the damp, dark places near beds and couches. They can often be found in the following spots:
- Behind picture frames
- Underneath mattresses
- Behind baseboards
- Underneath carpeting
- Behind electrical outlets
- Inside bundles of blankets
- In mattress folds
- In drawers and below desks and dressers
- Inside cushions and upholstery
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
Other indicators of bed bugs include:
- Blood stains on the mattress
- Tiny, cream colored eggs
- Brown mounds or droppings
- Exoskeletons of juvenile bed bugs that have reached maturity
- Musty aroma from the nests
What Happens When You Get Bedbugs From an Airbnb Rental?
Once you have found the bed bugs, it is important that you document them.
What evidence should I have for a bed bug claim against AirBNB?
It is crucial that you follow these steps to ensure that you have sufficient evidence for your lawsuit against AirBNB:
- Go to the doctor to get treated if you have an allergic reaction to the bites
- Take pictures of the proof of the bed bugs
- Screenshot the AirBNB rental on the app
- Make copies of receipts and payments made to the company for the rental
- Collect eyewitness information from anyone you were staying with or reviews complaining of similar incidents
- Get the contact information and details of the property owner
- File an incident report with AirBNB
- Contact a skilled lawyer to handle your AirBNB bed bug infestation lawsuit
– Bed Bug Lawsuit : Bed Bug Statistics
– Bed Bug Lawsuit – What is the Value of a Bed Bug Injury Case
– Can I Sue the Hotel for Bed Bug Infestation Injuries?
– Steps to Take After Being Bit By Bed Bugs at a Hotel?
– Can I Sue Daycare Childcare for Bed Bug Infestation
– Landlord Responsibility for Bed Bugs
– Hotel Owner and Operator Liability for Bed Bug Infestation
– I Was Sexually Assaulted In An Airbnb – What Can I Do?
– Airbnb Injury Lawyer in Los Angeles – I Suffered Injuries at an Airbnb
– Airbnb Dog Bite Injuries
– Airbnb Injury Lawyer in Los Angeles
– I Suffered a Slip and Fall Accident at an Airbnb
If you do not hire a lawyer for your case, you run the risk of losing it all. An attorney can deal with your claim while you focus on other aspects of life. If you have never filed a lawsuit before or if you have no legal experience, it is highly recommended that you get legal assistance.
How can I sue AirBNB for bed bug bites?
AirBNB has what they call a host protection program. This is essentially insurance that protects the host and does not let the guest sue the host outright for damages. This is because homeowner’s insurance is not active when the home is being used for profit or being rented out by the homeowner. Therefore, AirBNB will cover losses, injuries, and damages.
AirBNB also has a long list of exceptions that prevent guests from filing claims for damages. For instance, if a guest were sexually assaulted, AirBNB would claim that it has no responsibility to pay off the damages
, even though it sponsored the rental or allowed the homeowner to list the property. Bed bugs are also on that list of barred claims.
However, just because the company has a list of exceptions does not mean that it is legally binding. The law in California dictates that all apartments and quarters that are meant for human habitation must be sanitary and safe. If the homeowner did not provide a safe living space, he can be held accountable, and by proxy, so can AirBNB. They can further be held responsible if there were previous complaints of bed bugs and AirBNB took no action
To file a premises liability lawsuit against the company, you must be able to prove that one of three situations was true:
- The property owner knew about the bed bug infestation and did not try to fix it or provide any warnings to guests
- The property owner caused the infestation in the first place
- The property owner did not know about the infestation but reasonably should have
Most instances of bed bug infestation occur because a property owner did not issue any warnings. It is less common for other guests to spread an infestation and for him to be unaware of the problem. Fortunately, our lawyers have no issues proving that a property owner is liable, and by extension, we will be able to show that AirBNB did not protect you in providing you with the rental property.
How much can I win from a lawsuit against AirBNB for bed bugs?
The value of your lawsuit against AirBNB for a bed bug infestation
will depend on the insurance agent responsible for overseeing and handling your case. He will look at all the factors of the incident and determine how to apportion the potential settlement. He will look at how severe the bites were, any additional or secondary effects, the likelihood of your responsibility, and ore. These factors will be used to measure the claim’s worth. Of course, many insurance agents will engage in certain tactics to give people low settlements – they may not make any offer for a long time to entice you to accept the first one given, or they may purposely make low offers to save as much money as possible. This is an act of bad faith, and we always strive to secure the maximum compensation available through our expert negotiation tactics and knowledge of the law.
With the help of our attorneys, you can receive compensation for the following expenses:
- Medical bills to cover hospitalization, medication, and any additional procedures, especially if you suffered an allergic reaction of some kind to the bed bugs
- Property damage if you had to throw out belongings or replace your personal items
- Lost income if you were unable to go to work because your vehicle was compromised or because you could not work from home, for example, due to an infestation
- Pain and suffering damages to account for anxiety, fear, PTSD, and emotional anguish stemming from the effects of the infestation
- Fumigation costs, exterminator fees, and more if you unwittingly brought the infestation home from the AirBNB
You should not be expected to cover these expenses yourself, especially if the responsible owner did not warn you about bed bugs. We will fight to win you the fairest compensation we can.
How much time do I have to file a lawsuit against AirBNB for bed bug bites?
In the State of California, the statute of limitations on premises liability lawsuits is 2 years
from the date of the injury. If you do not file a claim within this period of time, you will be denied any opportunity o do so in the future and your chance to earn compensation will be lost. In general, the statute of limitations allows both parties ample time to gather evidence that won’t be lost or corrupted. Claims that take too long or are not filed on time are unfair for all parties involved.
You can potentially have the statute of limitations extended if necessary. This is most common in cases where the plaintiff is under the age of 18 years old or when the defendant has left the state. In the former case, the statute would be suspended until the plaintiff turns legal age, and in the latter case, the statute is suspended until the defendant returns to the state.
Many claims for bed bug infestations in AirBNB locations
are not filed because victims miss the statute of limitations and do not understand the deadline. We will make sure this does not happen by filing your lawsuit within the appropriate amount of item.
The Best Firm in Town
The Downtown LA Law Group
has a long history f handling claims regarding bed bug infestations
. We know that AirBNB has a responsibility to guests, and we will make sure that your bed bug infestation lawsuit against AirBNB is successful. Our attorneys are aggressive and known for relentlessly pursuing every penny you deserve. If we have to go to court to file your lawsuit and fight before a jury, we are willing to go that route. Our success stories speak for themselves, and our highly-rated attorneys can gladly take over your claim.
To set up a free legal consultation, call us today. All consultations are confidential, and you can reach us any time of day. We will consider your case and tell you how much we think it is worth. You can ask us whatever you wish about the legal process and the way forward. If you hire us, we will give you our zero fee guarantee, which says that you won’t have to pay a dime of your own money. We will cover the costs ourselves and get paid if and only if we win. The money will come from the insurance company that represents AirBNB. If we lose, we don’t get paid. Either way, your finances will remain untouched. Get in touch
with the Downtown LA LAW Group today if you wish to sue AirBNB for a bed bug infestation