The use of Risperdal, an atypical-psychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia, has been linked to serious side effects including the development if male breast tissue in young adult males. If you or someone you know has developed dangerous medical complications due to the use of Risperal you may be eligible for financial compensation. Our Risperdal attorneys are dedicated to protecting the right of individuals who have suffered harm do to the use of Risperdal. If you have
How Risperdal Causes Gynecomastia
The development of Gynecomastia amongst adolescent boys is a leading risk factor associated with the taking of Riperdal. According to several clinical studied conducted by health research entities and the Food and Drug Administration the dopamine blocking mechanisms of Risperdal in young males is the chief cause of breast tissue growth. The pituitary gland responds to the decrease in dopamine levels by releasing prolactin which intern stimulate the production of milk breast tissue. In men the increase levels of prolactin usually result in gynecomastia.
Some signs and symptoms associated with the development of gynecomastia include
- Discharge of fluids from the nipples
- Swelling of the nipples and surrounding breast tissue
- A general sensation of tenderness around the region of the breast
- Sever pain around the region
Get started today by calling (888) 649-7166
Other Dangerous Side Effects Caused by Riperdal:
Some of the most common dangerous side effects caused by the taking of risperdal as well as other Atypical Antipsychotic drugs are as follows.
- Excessive weight gain
- Heart complications including heart arrhythmia
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS)
- Development of Tardive Dyskinesia and other involuntary movement disorders
- Diabetes due to an increase in blood sugar levels
Filing a Risperdal lawsuit What You Need to Know
The antipsychotic drug Riperdal has been marketed by the drug manufacture Johnson and Johnson for children and adolescent teenagers who are suffering from mental disorders ranging from bi-polar disorder to schizophrenia. In order to expand its sales the pharmaceutical giant has pushed for the use of Risperdal in the treatment of other medical based physiological disorders including
Proving a Risperdal Lawsuit in the Court of Law:
- Severe depression
- Eating disorders including bulimia
- ADHD – attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Several cases of anxiety disorders
- Autistic disorders
Product liability lawsuits are based on proving one of three distinct caused of action.
1. Proving a defect in the original design of the drug via a presence of a design at the time of production which was significantly less dangerous than the intended design.
2. A defect in the manufacturing process so that the drug marketed and distributed to consumers is markedly different and as a result substantially more dangerous than the original design.
3. Labeling defects or failure to warn consumers of known dangers associated with the use of risperdal.
Statute of Limitations – Deadline to Filing a Risperdal Lawsuit:
Civil personal injury and product liability cases in the United States must be filed within a certain time period designated by the statute of limitations of the jurisdiction where the injury took place. For example the Statute of limitations in the state of California is two years from the date of the injury, while the state of Maine it is six years. For a list of the statute of limitations for all 50 states and jurisdictions in the United States see here…
Failure to File in Time
: Failure to file a case in the court of law in time can eliminated a victims right to financial recovery vial legal means. However in certain circumstances court will grant a tolling of the statute thus allowing plaintiffs the right to file a claim past the deadline established by the statute of limitations. Specific instances where courts have allowed for a tolling of a statute are as follows
Compensation Available for Victims – Average Settlement Value
- Mental incapacitation
- Physical incapacitation
- Injury did not manifest itself until sometime after the medication was taken
- Minor statute of the individual victim – persons under the age of 18 are given a certain time after their 18th birthday to file a claim.
Victims of severe side effects caused by the taking of defective drugs are entitled to compensation for all their losses. An estimated average value of a case can only be accessed via a thorough case analyses by an attorney. The factors most important in evaluating the potential value of a case are as follows
Free Legal Consultations
- Severity of the injury suffered
- Requirement for future medical and rehabilitation care
- Pain and suffering
- Damage to mental health including PTSD
- Availability of punitive damage awards
: Our Risperdal attorneys offer free legal consultations for all victims of defective and dangerous medical devices. To schedule a care review contact our law offices toll free at (888) 649-7166
Risperdal Class Action Lawsuit