About UberUber is a rideshare company that was founded in March 2009 in San Francisco, California. Uber’s transportation network serves 65 countries around the world. There are approximately 75 million Uber riders and 3 million drivers worldwide. Every day, there are approximately 15 million trips completed via Uber’s rideshare platform. With 4 billion trips since 2009, Uber is the leading rideshare company in the world. Although Uber is a leading company, there have been many incidents that have overshadowed Uber’s success-specifically car accidents. Car accidents can happen at any time and at any place. No one expects to be involved in a car accident, although it is always a possibility. Whether you were driving for Uber or riding with Uber, you could be involved in an Uber accident. You could even be involved in an Uber accident even if you do not have any affiliation with Uber whatsoever.
The Causes of Uber AccidentsWhy do Uber accidents happen? There are no causes that are specific to Uber accidents. There are so many Uber accidents nowadays, shouldn’t there be a cause? The answer is no; there is not a specific cause. However, with the increase of Uber’s popularity (the number of Uber drivers and Uber riders) the instances of car accidents have also increased, but they occur at the same rates as normal car accidents.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (213) 389-3765.Car accidents, in general, occur for the following reasons:
- Driving while distracted
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving recklessly
- Ignoring traffic rules, laws, and signals
- Using handheld devices while driving
Your Rights after an Uber AccidentHow were you involved in the accident? Were you the driver, a passenger, or another party outside of the Uber vehicle? Why does this matter? Believe it or not, the way that you were involved in the Uber accident could affect your right to sue, the process that you must follow, and what you could recover. If you were involved in an Uber accident, do you have the right to pursue a car accident claim? In general, victims of Uber accidents have the right to pursue an auto accident claim after being involved in an Uber accident. Whether you were involved as the Uber driver, Uber passenger, or another party outside the Uber vehicle, you might have grounds to pursue a claim against the liable party-or against Uber depending on the details of the accident and the claim.
Find out more about how we can help you. CHAT LIVE with a representative now.
Your Right to Sue the Liable DriverAll victims of car accidents have the right to pursue an accident claim against the party that caused the accident. Whether you are a driver, a passenger, or even a pedestrian, you have the right to sue the party that caused your accident. If you are interested in pursuing a claim, you would have to file a claim against the liable driver’s insurance policy. What if the Uber driver caused your accident? Even if the Uber driver caused your accident, you would have to file a claim against the driver’s personal insurance policy.
Your Right to Sue UberCould you sue Uber after one of their drivers caused your accident? Uber drivers are independent contractors; therefore, Uber is not responsible for the harm that their drivers cause. However, you could still pursue a claim against Uber under certain circumstances. One of the reasons for which you could pursue a claim against Uber after a car accident is if Uber was negligent in any way. For example, if Uber allowed a driver with a suspended license to remain active on the platform, Uber might have liability for any accidents that the driver caused. You could also file a claim against Uber to benefit from Uber’s insurance coverage. Uber’s insurance policy could apply under certain circumstances; however, it could only apply if you file a claim.
Uber’s Insurance CoverageCompanies within the rideshare industry usually have impressive insurance policies. Uber is well-known to have a one-million dollar insurance policy. However, the insurance policy only applies under strict circumstances. Consider the following:
- Driver is offline-if the driver is offline (not driving for Uber) the insurance policy does not apply. If an offline driver is involved in the accident, Uber’s insurance would not cover any damages. If the Uber driver caused the accident, victims would file claims against the Uber driver’s personal insurance company. If another driver caused the accident, the Uber driver would file a claim against the liable driver’s personal insurance policy.
- Driver is online and available-if the driver is online and available to accept rides, Uber’s insurance coverage might apply only partially. If an Uber driver causes an accident while he or she is online and available, victims could file claims against Uber’s insurance. Partial coverage includes at least $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident for bodily injury. Coverage also includes $25,000 for property damage. If the Uber driver is not at fault for the accident, he or she would have to pursue a claim against the liable party.
- Driver is on an active ride-if the Uber driver is involved in an accident during an active ride, the one-million dollar insurance policy applies. If the driver is liable for the accident, victims could be covered by the one-million dollar policy. If the Uber driver was not liable for the accident, he or she will be covered by the one-million dollar policy when the liable driver’s insurance coverage is not enough to cover all damages.
The Compensation Available for RecoveryCould you recover compensation after being involved in an Uber accident claim? Without a doubt, you could recover compensation for the harm that you suffered after suffering an Uber accident. In general, the parties who suffer Uber auto accidents are sometimes eligible to recover the following types of compensation:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral/burial costs
- Punitive damages
To speak with a Los Angeles Uber accident lawyer, call (213) 389-3765.What type of compensation could you receive? How much could you recover? The type and amount of compensation that you could receive for your Uber accident claim depends on the details of your accident. Some details that might affect the type and amount of compensation that you are eligible to recover might include the types of injuries that you suffered, the extent of your injuries, the treatment that is required for your injuries, the income that you lost because of your injuries, and the property damage resulting from the accident, for example. Because so many details could affect the type and amount of compensation that you could receive, it is essential that you seek legal assistance as soon as possible. Regardless of the details of your claim, you could be certain that the attorneys at Downtown L.A. Law Group will consistently fight for your right to recover the compensation that you deserve. Our lawyers will not rest until you receive the maximum amount of compensation available for your claim.