Wheel Chair Lifts on MTA Public Transportation Vehicles are designed to assist disabled and handicapped individuals on Powered and regular wheelchairs step inside buses. These lifts provide help to thousands of passengers daily. However, in many instances such devices can be defective leading to serious bodily injuries to unsuspecting bus users. Common injuries associated with defective wheelchair on Los Angeles MTA busses include:
- Facial Lacerations
- Falls resulting in broken or fractures bones
- Serious head injuries
- broken nose
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe Neck injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
If you have suffered any injuries resulting from a wheelchair lift accident on board an MTA bus contact our California Bus Accident Attorneys
for a free non cost consultation. Our dedicated attorney will diligently review your claim and determine whether any legal course of action exists.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (888) 649-7166.
What are some of the main cause of Bus Lift Accidents:
There are numerous reasons why wheelchair lifts lead to injuries. Some of the most common causes are as follows:
- Improper maintenance
- Slippery or Wet Surfaces
- Oily Lift Surface
- Defective machinery
- Defective Design
- Improper installation
- Negligent Handling and care by bus driver
- Improper use
- Failure to secure wheel chair during lifting process
- Roll stop latch defect
Can I Sue?
If you or a member of your family suffered harm in a bus lift accident, you might have grounds to file an injury claim. You can sue because bus companies owe their passengers the highest duty of care. Who can you sue? The answer to this question will be based strictly on the details surrounding your accident.
After an accident, you could be eligible to sue the following parties or entities:
- Private bus companies like Greyhound or tour bus companies
- City bus companies like MTA (Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority)
- Bus manufacturers
- Bus maintenance crews and mechanics
All of the parties or entities mentioned above owe bus passengers a duty of care. Private bus companies like Greyhound travel long distances, but city bus agencies like the MTA make multiple stops on their route – in the Los Angeles area, there are roughly 189 bus lines with over 18,500 stops (some of these lines are listed below). Bus manufacturers and bus maintenance crews as well as mechanics also have a duty of care. Any time that a duty of care is breached, there is a risk of an incident occurring, which could ultimately lead to harm to innocent consumers.
If the negligence of any of the parties or entities listed above directly contributed to the incident that you or a member of your family suffered, you could be eligible to file an injury claim. To learn more about your right to sue, do not hesitate to contact the experts at our firm immediately.
Popular Greyhound Routes Within California
Some of the most popular Greyhound Routes within the state of California include the following:
- Bakersfield to Los Angeles
- Los Angeles to Bakersfield
- Los Angeles to Fresno
- Los Angeles to Oakland
- Los Angeles to Sacramento
- Los Angeles to San Diego
- Los Angeles to San Francisco
- Oakland to Los Angeles
- Sacramento to Los Angeles
- Sacramento to San Francisco
- San Diego to Los Angeles
- San Francisco to Los Angeles
- San Francisco to Sacramento
- San Jose to Los Angeles
MTA Bus Lines in the Greater Los Angeles Area
- Line 2 Downtown LA – Westwood
- Line 4 Downtown LA – Santa Monica via Santa Monica Bl
- Line 10/48 W Hollywood – Downtown LA – Avalon Station via Melrose-Avalon
- Line 18 Wilshire Western Station – Montebello via 6th-Whittier
- Line 20 Downtown LA – Santa Monica via Wilshire Bl
- Line 30/330 W Hollywood – Downtown LA – Indiana Station via Pico & 1st
- Line 102 LAX City Bus Center – S Gate via La Tijera- Exposition
- Line 106 USC Med Center to ELAC T. Center
- Line 111 LAX City Bus Center – Norwalk Station via Florence Av
These are just a few of the bus lines in the Los Angeles area. Without a doubt, there are many other bus lines throughout the state.
Filing a Government Claim
If your bus lift accident involved a city bus company, like MTA, you could file a claim; however, you will need to file a government claim. This just means that the legal process will be a little different – most importantly, it will be subject to different deadlines. When a government entity is involved in a personal injury incident, victims must file a government claim directly with the entity, like the MTA, for instance.
Government claims for personal injuries must be filed relatively quickly – within six months of the date of the injury. Claimants will then have to wait for a response. Government entities have forty-five days to respond to the claim. If the claim is denied within the forty-five days, claimants will have six months to file their injury lawsuit in court. However, if there is no response within the forty-five days, the claimant will have a total of two years to file the injury lawsuit in court.
For more information on filing a government claim for your bus lift accident, do not hesitate to contact the experts at our firm as soon as possible.
File Your Claim On Time
As mentioned above, government claims are subject to strict deadlines – forty-five days followed by either six months or two years. All claims are subject to deadlines, established by a statute of limitations. A statute of limitations determines the total length of time that claimants have to file their claims. If claimants do not file their claims on time, they could lose their right to sue entirely. What deadline applies if you are filing a claim against a private bus company like Greyhound or a tour bus company? In general, injury claims, like bus accident claims, in the state of California are subject to a two-year statute of limitations, which gives claimants a total of two years to sue. To learn more about the deadline that applies to your bus accident claim, do not hesitate to contact the experts at our firm as soon as possible.
What compensation can I receive for injuries caused by a defective or broken wheelchair lift on board a Bus or Van
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses include all medical bills and costs, including those incurred in the emergency room, hospital visits, doctor visits, MRI testing facility, radiologists, chiropractors, dentists, or any other treating professional that was necessitated as a result of your injury.
- Future Medical Expenses: Unfortunately, the effects an accident can often be felt for months, years, or even a lifetime after the injury occurred. We will work with doctors and other medical specialist to establish the full amount of any future medical expenses to make sure you are adequately compensated for these damages.
- Lost Wages: After an accident, you are entitled to any income you lost. Even if you were unemployed before the accident a Personal Injury Lawyer may be able to procure lost wages damages by demonstrating what you could have earned but for your herniated disc injury.
- Loss of Earning Capacity: In addition to current lost wages, victims of car accidents are eligible to receive compensation for future lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: A victim of herniated disc injury can further be compensated for mental suffering that could include fright, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, anxiety, depression, trauma, grief or feelings of distress.
If you would like to learn more about the type and amount of compensation that you could be eligible to receive if your bus lift accident claim is successful, do not hesitate to contact the experts at our firm as soon as possible. Our bus lift accident lawyers are ready to fight for your right to recover the highest amount of compensation available for the harm that you or a member of your family suffered.
Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative and schedule a free case review.
Contact Us Today
Are you in need of a lawyer after your bus lift accident? If so, do not hesitate to contact the experts at our firm as soon as possible. Our lawyers at Downtown L.A. Law Group have many years of experience handling all sorts of claims, including bus lift accident claims. It is important for your attorney understands the extent of your injuries employs the proper experts to determine whether a design or manufacturing defect was a contributing cause of your injuries. Downtown LA Law Group: We are a full service plaintiff’s law firm. We are compassionate litigators fighting for the rights of our clients. Our product liability attorneys can help with your case. Contact us today for a free case evaluation or a second opinion. Remember: It is crucial to act quickly before any limitations can lower or extinguish your rightful claim. Call us for a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys regarding your claim: (855) 385-252
Personal Attorneys representing Victims of wheelchair bus accidents and wheelchair lift defects
More Information: Bus Passenger Injury Claim