Injured while Making a DoorDash Delivery – Is the Customer Responsible?
As a DoorDash driver, you’re in and out of customer’s homes all day long. The process is quick and easy in most cases – pick up the food from the restaurant, drop if off to the customer, then repeat. Unfortunately, you can be thrown off this routine when you’re injured during the course of a delivery. If you’re in this situation, you undoubtedly have many questions on your mind, including:
“Is the customer responsible if I get injured when making a DoorDash delivery?”
Yes, if you get injured on the property of the customer, the customer will be responsible. Today, we will go over the laws that hold customers responsible if a DoorDash driver is harmed on their property. Additionally, we will advise you on the legal actions you can take, as well as the damages you are entitled to as an accident victim. This information, by the way, applies to Uber Eats and Grubhub drivers as well.
If you’ve had a slip and fall, dog bite, or any other accident while making a delivery, please call the personal injury attorneys of DTLA Law Group. Our lawyers have the experience to fight for your rights and ensure that you are properly compensated for your injuries.
How Can Food Delivery Workers be Injured?
DoorDash workers can be harmed in various ways while making a delivery. Below are the most common accidents that can injure DoorDash drivers when they’re on a customer’s property:
Slip and falls
Slip and falls can happen for a number of reasons, including wet floors, water leaks, product spills, and slippery surfaces. A slip and fall can cause hip fracture, spinal cord damage, and other serious, long-term injuries.
Food delivery workers can easily be hurt by objects that fall off from walls, ceiling, and shelves. Owners must ensure that light fixtures, fans, and other objects are properly secured at all times.
- Trip and falls
Property owners must take care of conditions that can cause people to trip, such as uneven pavement, exposed wiring, broken tiles, torn carpeting, and debris in the walkways. In short, anything that someone can trip over must be repaired or cleared away by the owner.
- Dog bites
Dog owners are responsible for any damages caused by their pet, even if the dog showed no previous signs of aggression. Customers must take precautions to ensure the delivery worker’s safety, like restraining the dog or warning that a dog is on the premises.
Any of these accidents can lead to serious injuries, such as broken bones, deep lacerations, nerve damage, spinal cord injury, and traumatic brain damage, just to name a few. Aside from the physical damage, victims often struggle with emotional trauma, like PTSD, anxiety, and depression. On-going treatment for these issues requires monetary compensation. You may also need compensation for the wages you will lose if you need time off from work. Call the lawyers of DTLA and learn about your legal options if you were injured while working as a DoorDash delivery driver.
How is the Customer Responsible?
Property owners in California have a duty of care to their guests and visitors, which includes anyone who has a legitimate reason to be on the property. Such individuals include delivery drivers for companies like DoorDash, Uber Eats, and Grubhub. To ensure the safety of those who are on their premises, owners must adhere to the following requirements:
- Fix hazardous conditions that can lead to an injury.
- Make the hazardous condition known to visitors if it can’t be fixed right away.
- Routinely inspect the property for hazards.
If a property owner fails in these duties and a delivery driver gets hurt as a result, they can be sued under the laws of premise liability.
There’s also a legal standard known as strict liability, which applies to dog bite incidents. According to California’s dog bite laws, a dog owner is responsible for all injuries caused by their pet “regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.” Essentially, the owner cannot deny liability by saying the dog has never been aggressive, or bitten anyone before.
The laws of premise liability or strict liability allow you to sue the customer for damages if you were injured on their property. However, there are strict rules regarding the procedures and timeline for filing a lawsuit, so you must speak to an attorney right away. The lawyers of DTLA look forward to advising you and recovering the compensation you deserve.
What can I Receive from a DoorDash Accident Lawsuit?
As a food delivery worker that was injured on a customer’s property, you are entitled to compensation for your physical and emotional losses. Through an injury claim, you may be able to recover:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Legal fees
- Punitive damages
In extreme cases, a DoorDash delivery worker may be killed while making a delivery, or die as a result of multiple / severe injuries. Family members or loved ones of the decedent may be entitled to wrongful death compensation. This type of claim allows loved ones to receive:
- Medical costs left behind by the decedent
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of income that the decedent would have earned
- Pain and suffering
- Legal fees
- Loss of consortium
Other forms of compensation may be available to you, which you can speak about with one of our premise liability or wrongful death attorneys. To get started on an injury claim against a DoorDash customer, contact the lawyers of DTLA.
What Should I do if I’m Injured on a Customer’s Property?
The steps you take after an accident are crucial to preserving evidence and supporting your claim for damages. If you’ve been injured at a customer’s property, here are some things you should do right away:
- Call 911 or see a doctor right to get treatment for your injuries. Doing so will result in a medical report, which is the most important factor in a compensation claim.
- Take photos or video of your injuries, as well as the scene of the accident.
- Keep an eye out and make note of any surveillance cameras on the property, or on a neighbor’s property that may have recorded your accident.
- Call the police so they can issue you a police report.
- Call DoorDash to report the accident so they can make other arrangements for your deliveries.
- Get the name of the property owner and their homeowners’ insurance information.
- If there are witnesses, try to get a statement from them as well as their contact information.
- Keep all evidence and documents related to your accident in a safe place.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer right away.
You may need to take other steps depending on the complexity of your accident. Our lawyers can advise you in this area and take immediate action to protect your rights as an injury victim.
How Much Time do I have to File a Lawsuit?
We mentioned strict timelines before when it comes to injury lawsuits. In California, you have two years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit for monetary compensation. If you miss the 2-year deadline, you may permanently lose your right to sue the responsible party. There are some cases where an extension may be granted by the courts. For example, if you were physically and/or mentally incapacitated at the time of the accident, that may be grounds to ask for extra time. However, such circumstances do not apply to most cases, so it’s best to contact a lawyer as soon as you can.
Let DTLA Fight for You
Delivery workers are some of the most underappreciated people in society, yet they are out there day in and day out, risking their health to make our lives easier. When DoorDash, Uber Eats, or Grub hub drivers are injured on the job, they deserve qualified legal representation without having to pay for it. That’s why DTLA Law Group operates under a Zero fee guarantee, where clients never pay upfront for our services. There is zero cost to you until we win your case, and if we lose, you owe us absolutely nothing.
The Zero fee guarantee, by the way, isn’t just for newly injured victims. Are you working with an attorney but feel like your case is going nowhere? Does your lawyer repeatedly make mistakes or ask for extensions without explaining why? There may be other concerns you have about your attorney, which is why we invite to come in for a free second opinion. This is your chance to have your case reviewed by one of our lawyers and verify whether your attorney is acting in your best interest. If you decide to switch over to us, we’ll take care of the transfer process and defer all legal fees until we recover your settlement.
If you’re ready to learn more about the compensation process as a DoorDash delivery driver, please give us a call at our office.
Other Pages on Our Website Related to This Topic
DoorDash Delivery Driver Accident
Door Dash Class Action Lawsuit Lawyers
Over $500 Million Recovered
for Our Clients
YOU Deserve the Best
Free Case Review 24/7
You Don’t Pay unless we win
By submitting this form, you agree to receive telephone calls and text messages at anytime, which include hours outside of business hours (8:00 am PST – 9:00 pm PST). This is so that we may reach you as soon as possible in order to consult on your potential case.
– Santa Clarita Personal Injury Lawyers
– Santa Barbara Personal Injury Attorneys
– Santa Maria Personal Injury Attorneys
– Redondo Beach Personal Injury Attorneys
– Rialto Personal Injury Attorneys
– San Marcos personal injury attorneys
– Rancho Cucamonga Personal Injury Lawyers
– Pomona Personal Injury Attorneys
– Redlands Personal Injury Lawyers
– Ontario personal injury lawyers
– Lake Elsinore Personal Injury Attorneys
– La Habra Personal Injury Lawyers
– Lakewood Personal Injury Lawyers
– Indio personal injury lawyers
– Irvine personal injury attorneys
– Glendale personal injury attorneys
– Highland personal injury attorneys
– Huntington Park personal injury lawyers
– Corona personal injury lawyers
– El Cajon personal injury attorneys
– Costa Mesa personal injury attorneys
– Compton personal injury lawyers
– Chino Personal Injury Attorneys
– Chula Vista Personal Injury Attorneys
– Baldwin Park Personal Injury Attorneys
– Bellflower Personal Injury Lawyers
– Anaheim personal injury lawyers
– Prisoner Personal Injury Attorney
Like This Article? Get Monthly Updates FREE!
Free Case Review 24/7