Chairs are present everywhere, and many are sturdy enough to hold a lot of weight. Others are simply unstable and may collapse at any moment
. If you were hurt in a broken chair incident, it is important that you pursue appropriate legal action. You can contact our Los Angeles law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
, for assistance moving forward. We will ensure that you get a fair settlement and that the average value
of the broken chair lawsuit
is met or exceeded.
How do broken chair incidents happen?
A chair can break for any number of reasons, whether because it was manufactured poorly and the legs and seat were not sturdy, or because it suffered years of wear and tear and it has finally eroded. Some may also be designed improperly and, despite being manufactured correctly
, do not have inherent stability. Chairs with legs that are too narrow, for example, have a tendency to tip over, while those with very thin legs have a higher likelihood of breaking.
Chairs may collapse in restaurants
, eateries, furniture stores, waiting rooms, and even in private homes. It is important that the property owner be aware of the state of his chairs and how safe and maintained they are. If the chairs show signs of damage, they should be replaced or removed, or fixed altogether.
Depending on the circumstances of the incident, you could file a product liability claim
or a premises liability claim
. If you bought a chair that was defective, you can sue the manufacturing company. However, if the chair was already present at a location and it broke you could sue the property owner.
These incidents can result in many different types of injuries, ranging from concussions and neck injuries to spinal cord damages and torn muscles.
Learn more about your legal options: call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
What should I do to file a lawsuit for injuries from a broken chair?
If you were hurt in a broken chair accident
, you may not know what to do to gather evidence and take legal action. It is important that you gather as much proof as you can so your lawsuit has a solid foundation and you can move forward with a claim. We recommend following this procedure, and if you have any questions, you are more than welcome to contact us:
- Go to the doctor to get treatment and to see how severe your injuries are
- Do not hesitate or wait too long to visit the hospital, as a delay can indicate that you were not that hurt, and it can cause your injuries to worsen as well as negatively impact your claim
- Keep medical records and receipts from your visit
- Take photos of your injuries
- Take pictures of the broken chair if you can, or hold on to it altogether if you owned it or recently purchased it (be aware that a business may get rid of the chair before you try to take pictures, so you should act quickly)
- If there were any eyewitnesses who saw the incident, you can interview them and get their testimonies
- File an incident report with the company if you were at a business when the chair collapsed
- Produce the receipt if you bought the chair and be sure not to tamper with it or try to fix it
Upon getting this evidence together, you can contact a lawyer with experience in broken chair claims
. We will write the demand letter to the relevant insurance agency and will not give up on your claim. You might not have the time, energy, or knowledge needed to move forward, which can make your case fall apart. Fortunately, we are experts in the world of law, and we promise to work around the clock to win your case.
What can I win in a broken chair injury lawsuit?
The compensation you can receive from a broken chair injury lawsuit can pay for numerous expenses. The damages should be covered by the responsible party, whether that is a restaurant or a furniture manufacturer. The types of restitution that you can receive include the following:
- Medical bills from the past and future to pay for surgery, hospitalization, medication, physical therapy, and more
- Lost wages from time you could not go to work or future lost income if you could not return to your job due to medical treatments or injuries
- Property damage if personal items were broken in the incident
- Pain and suffering damages to cover emotional anguish, PTSD, anxiety, fear, and more
For the best chance of success, you can call our firm and speak to an attorney with experience in broken chair injury cases.
What is the average value of a broken chair injury claim?
The average value of a broken chair injury lawsuit will depend on various factors. The insurance agent handling the case will look at the extent of the injuries you suffered, how much of the accident was your fault, the impact the damages had on your life and career, and more. Cases that feature injuries that last a long time and were caused due to the overwhelming negligence of another party
are often worth over $250,000, much more than those that result in next to no damages.
Bear in mind that every case is different. Two scenarios that have nearly identical circumstances may end up with vastly different compensation amounts or results. This is because of the different insurance agents who will handle the cases and the varying levels of responsibility and damages. We have provided examples below of different lawsuits involving broken chairs. They are not examples of what you are guaranteed to earn, but can show what you may potentially receive.
- $740,000 Settlement: A customer purchased a bar stool from a furniture company. It did not require any assembly. When she sat on it for the first time, the stool fell apart and collapsed. As a result of the fall, she suffered spinal injuries and required back surgery and extensive pain management and therapy. The company attempted to deny liability, but ultimately agreed on a settlement with the victim.
- $85,000 Verdict: A mother and her son were out shopping for furniture at an upholstery store. The mother grew tired and sat down on a chair in the store, but the chair completely collapsed. She fell down and suffered spinal cord injuries. She went to the hospital immediately and received treatment. The defendant claimed that there was no accident in the store and that she did not report it, but after examination, it was shown that there was no investigation on behalf of the manager. The chair was also never properly inspected, as per other store employees.
- $150,000 Settlement: A middle-aged man walked into a BJ’s food court, ordered a meal, and sat down. When he sat, the chair broke off at the base and caused him to fall out of it, resulting in neck and shoulder damages. He needed shoulder and neck surgery to repair the damaged ligaments. BJ’s removed the chair, which prevented the man from using it as evidence. Other chairs were examined, though, and they were also found to be defective and were excessively welded, which caused instability. The store, manufacturer, and company were all targeted in the claim.
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
How long do I have to file a lawsuit for a broken chair accident?
California’s statute of limitations on personal injury claims is 2 years from the date of the injury
. If you do not file a lawsuit within that time, you will not be able to collect any compensation in the future. The statute of limitations is in effect to ensure that all evidence is gathered in a sufficient time frame and neither party is at a disadvantage.
There are some scenarios in which the statute of limitations can be extended past the 2-year deadline. This may happen if a victim is under the age of 18 years old or if he has been left incapacitated after the incident. He can sue when he turns legal age or returns to health. Further, the defendant must be present in California; if he has left the state, the statute will be postponed until he returns.
Many individuals fail to acknowledge the statute of limitations or they do not know how long they have left on their lawsuits. If you come to our firm for representation, we will not miss a single deadline and will be able to bring you the maximum compensation available.
Choosing the Best Firm
The Downtown LA Law Group
always pursues the maximum settlement or verdict for our clients. We will not give up on your case until we are satisfied with the results. Our goal is to work around the clock to ensure that all your damages are covered. We will aggressively negotiate with the insurance agent and will see to it that your case is a success, even if it means going to court.
Call us at (888) 649-7166
for a free legal consultation today to discuss your claim. We will tell you how much we feel your case is worth and what you should do to move forward.
If you want a free second opinion, you can come to our firm as well. You may already have an attorney but you might not believe him when he says how much your claim is worth, or he may be prying to pressure you into agreeing to a small settlement.
If you hire us, we’ll give you our zero fee guarantee, which says that you won’t pay us a dime of your own money. We will get paid only if we win and the money will come out of the settlement we bring you. If we lose, we take nothing.
Don’t wait to call the Downtown LA Law Group to file a broken chair accident lawsuit today.