Duty of Nursing Home Staff to Prevent Bed SoresUnder state and federal statutes nursing homes owe elderly and immobile residents a duty to prevent bed sores. Bed sores can develop due to neglect of the elderly which may include
- Failure to turn immobile patents
- Failure to maintain proper hydration and nutrition
- Failure to provide proper hygiene
- Failure to provide sanitary living conditions including soiled clothing and bedding
Infections Caused By Bedsores Can Result in TragedyBed sore can result in deadly secondary infections and medical complications. According to a recent report an estimated 27,000 people died last year due to bedsore infections. Some of the most common infections and secondary medical complications due to bed sores is proved below
- Blood poisoning – bacterial and viral infections reaching the blood stream due to untreated bed sores.
- Infections of the bones and joints – Septic and joint infections resulting in infectious arthritis can result in death when left untreated.
- Cellulites – staph and strep infecting the skin and the underlying connective tissues.
- Myonecrosis – Gangrene
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
Learn more about your legal options by chatting with a representative now.