Shortly before 3:00 p.m., a shooting occurred at the Del Amo Fashion Center located at 3525 W. Carson Street. The mall was locked down. Customers and employees were safely evacuated. There is only one known injury. According to reports, a man (the victim) and a woman were arguing when the shooter approached the victim and shot him near the neck area. The victim was treated by first responders at the mall before being taken to a hospital. The victim is expected to survive. Police helicopters and the SWAT team swarmed the mall. A perimeter was set up with Plaza Del Amo and Carson Street both closed between both Madrona Avenue and Maple Avenue. Later in the day at approximately 6:30 p.m., the authorities were seen searching a Torrance apartment complex near the mall.
- Do victims of attacks that occur in shopping malls have the right to pursue legal action?
- Can the victims of crimes occurring in shopping malls take action against the mall?
- Who is liable for the damages caused by an attack on a shopper?
Liability when Crimes Occur at Shopping MallsIn general, mall owners do not have a duty of care to protect shoppers from any unanticipated criminal activity that could occur at the mall. When criminal acts can be anticipated, the mall owner could be held responsible for damage caused by the crime (such as the shooting, for instance). However, victims and their families must be able to prove that the mall owner did not use a reasonable level of care to protect mall guests from attacks.
- There was poor lighting within the mall property making it easier for criminals to attack innocent parties.
- There was not enough security at the mall, leading to a dangerously slow response and worsening of the situation.
- Mall security was negligent or reckless in the way they handled and addressed the situation.
The Right to Take Action against the MallWithout a doubt, some circumstances result in victims and their families having the right to take legal action against the mall. The right to take action against the mall might not always be clear; therefore, it is essential that you seek legal assistance as soon as possible. How can legal assistance help you and your family after being affected by an incident in a shopping mall? A lawyer can evaluate your situation and help you understand whether you have the right to pursue a claim. A lawyer will also help you understand whether you have the right to receive monetary compensation. A lawyer will also ensure that your claim is taken seriously to eventually reach a successful outcome. If you would like to learn more about your right to pursue a claim after being affected by an incident that occurred at a mall, do not hesitate to contact our experts as soon as possible.
The Possibility of Recovering CompensationDepending on the specific details of your claim, you could pursue a claim. You could also recover compensation. Do you have the right to recover compensation? How much compensation could you potentially receive? The compensation available for claims depends on the specific claim details. Often, the compensation available includes the following:
- Medical expenses – for all the medical costs associated with the injuries suffered due to the incident
- Lost income – for all the wages that were lost as a direct result of the injuries caused by the incident
- Pain and suffering – for all the mental and emotional distress caused by the incident
- Property damage – for any property that was damaged during the incident
- Loss of consortium – for the loss of ability to have a normal relationship with the affected victim
- Punitive damages – for punishment toward the defendant to prevent similar incidents from reoccurring
Contact Downtown L.A. Law GroupDowntown L.A. Law Group is a personal injury law firm with many years of experience handling a variety of claims. Regardless of the details of your claims, you could be certain that the experts at Downtown L.A. Law Group are ready to provide you with all the information that you need to take action against the party that contributed to the harm that you suffered. At our firm, we are ready to provide you with the legal assistance that you need to take action and fight for your right to recover compensation.
Get started today by calling (213) 389-3765.Our firm is dedicated to ensure that you have access to all the legal information that you need to begin or continue your claim against the party or parties that contributed to the harm that you and your family suffered. Our firm offers both free consultations and free second opinions. During our free consultations and free second opinions, our experts will be available to provide you with all the information that you need for your claim to reach a successful outcome. If you are ready to benefit from our free legal services, you could contact our experts today.