How Food is Contaminated?Microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses are often present in foods when they are purchased. For example, plastic-wrapped chicken breasts and ground turkey or ground beef, raw meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs are not sterile. Active and living organisms such as bacteria often survive the in the product when it has been purchased. Thousands of pathogens are naturally present in our environment. When these pathogens enter the food supply, they can cause food borne illness. Most of these bacteria can be destroyed if the product is fully cooked in high heat. However in many instances restaurants fail to cook meat and dairy properly leading to pathogens which remain on the food when it is consumed. Below is a list of food most susceptible to bacterial and viral pathogens leading to food borne illnesses.
- Chicken and Turkey
- Seafood such as Fish, Shrimp, and Scallops
- Fruits and Vegetables
Types of Food Borne Viruses and Bacteria Resulting in IllnessOne can contract food poisoning from numerous foods in fast food eateries, classy restaurants, local bars and food truck and even in your own home. Food poisoning is cause by many different things including virus to bacteria and fungus growth and versus toxic chemical. Some of the most prevent food related causes are as follows.
Hepatitis A Virus (HAV)
Norwalk or notovirus
What to do if you have suffered a food borne illness disease
- Preserve the evidence: Carefully mark the item as a dangerous item not to be eaten or touched. Place in in a freezer for safe keeping. It is important to preserve such evidence so that a link can be made between the food that has the active pathogen (bacteria) and your illness.
- Contact a medical health care professional immediately.
- Call the local California health department if the food commercially produced or was served at restaurant, concert, gathering, school, or other large service facility, or county fair.
- Get in touch with a personal injury lawyer: Remember it is crucial to act quickly after you’ve been injured to report any food poison claim before any limitations can lower or extinguish your rightful claim. Call us for a free consultation with one of our salmonella and e-coli lawyers regarding your claim: (855-DT-LA-LAW)
Lawsuit for Food Poisoning |Types of Damages Available for RecoveryAt Downtown LA Law, our Restaurant Food Poison Injury attorneys will seek to recover every form of damage resulting from E-coli, Salmonella, or any other form of food-disease outbreak. Recovery can included economic and non-economic damages, including
- Medical costs resulting from hospital and emergency room care, ambulance costs
- Future medical care
- Loss or income because of inability to work
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and psychological trauma
- Punitive damages when restaurant proprietors displayed reckless behavior or gross negligence