U-Haul is a popular company to use to transport your goods when moving. You can choose to rent trucks to carry your items or lug trailers behind them
, or you can rent cargo containers themselves. Regardless of the option you select, you should still endeavor to protect your belongings and your health
. Driving an unfamiliar truck or towing a heavy trailer
can be difficult if you have no experience. Many accidents with U-Haul trucks
happen because drivers are not used to the size or because they have never been behind the wheel of such a vehicle. To protect their customers, U-Haul offers insurance and protection
, but it can sometimes be a pain to get them to pay, especially if there are extenuating circumstances. Fortunately, our team of attorneys at the Downtown LA Law Group
can help you receive the compensation you deserve, and we can file a lawsuit if necessary to win any additional damages.
U-Haul Insurance and Protection Options
U-Haul would lose many customers
if it did not offer adequate protection for its customers and drivers. Most of the time, personal auto insurance policies will not cover the truck you drive or the trailer you rent. U-Haul offers a few different options
when you rent a vehicle or a trailer from them. If you do not select any coverage, you will be responsible for all damage done to rented equipment, dollies, vehicles, trailers, and more. Summaries of the coverage options you can select can be found below:
- Safemove: For rental trucks, Safemove allows you to receive a damage waiver that will cover all damages caused to the property you rented (but it does not cover overhead damage, such as driving underneath a bridge that was too low). It also provides cargo protection for your belongings in the event of a crash or environmental hazard, but it does not cover damages caused by loading error or negligence (such as improper stacking, or even theft). Further, medical and life protection are both provided to protect you and passengers in the event of an accident.
- Safemove Plus: In addition to all the protection granted from Safemove, Safemove Plus protects from overhead damage and tire damage. This is known as exclusion free coverage. The same terms apply to cargo, though: theft, negligent stacking, shifted materials, etc are not covered. It also provides supplemental liability insurance up to $1,000,000.
- Collision Damage Waiver: If you do not rent a truck, you can rent a cargo van or a pickup truck. The only option available for these vehicles is the collision damage waiver.This has a $150 deductible with no increased premiums, but it does have exclusions like Safemove.
- Safetow: The different items you can use to tow, such as trailer hitches, dollies, utility trailers, and pods, can all be protected with a damage waiver. Further, your items can be protected with varying levels of towed property protection.
- Safetrip: Safetrip is essentially roadside assistance available to you during the trip for a cheap $5.00 flat rate. It provides you with jump start services, lock-out and key services, mobile fuel services in case of empty tanks, vehicle removal services if you are stuck in snow or mud, and trailer services to help with hook-ups, detachments, and attachments.
- Safestor: Safestor and Safestor Mobile both provide insurance protection to items you have in storage. Stored items at a U-Haul facility are not protected by U-Haul; the company is not responsible for damage or loss. The same is true when items are in transit in U-Box containers. You can ensure that your items are protected from fires, tornadoes, smoke damage, hurricanes, wind damage, vandalism, vermin and rats, roaches and moths, termites, lightning, leaking water, explosions, hail, earthquakes, collapsed buildings, and more. Burglary and theft can also be protected against, but only if there is evidence of forced entry and a police report has been filed.
The different types of accident insurance and protection offered by U-Haul allow you to stay safe throughout the trip and for your items to be protected. If you need information for U-Haul insurance coverage, call our law firm for more assistance.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (888) 649-7166.
Causes of U-Haul Accidents
U-Haul vehicles involved in accidents should be covered by U-haul’s policy if the customer bought the coverage
. If you were transporting your items U-Haul might try to abstain from paying out any damages, though, especially if the accident were not your fault. Some of the causes of U-Haul accidents include:
- Improper weight distribution of cargo in trailers
- Turning without signaling
- Turning left in front of oncoming traffic
- Running stop signs
- Running red lights
- Trailer problems
- Broken hitches
- Detached trailers
- Blown tires
- Unsecured or uncovered loads
- Driving while exhausted
- Driving while drunk
- Texting or using the phone while behind the wheel
- Road defects
- Poor weather
- Vehicle defects
Often, accidents are caused by the negligent behavior or careless driving of another person on the road. If you were not responsible for the crash, you should not be responsible for paying off the numerous debts that accrued from it. U-Haul may be partially responsible
, especially if the crash happened because of defective equipment.
Liability in U-Haul Accidents
All personal injury claims
are filed based on negligence. If you were in a car accident with a U-Haul vehicle
, you may be able to show that the U-Haul driver was negligent
. If you were operating a rental truck, though, you might be able to prove that no one but the company was responsible.
U-Haul must provide its customers with working trucks and ensure that the drivers are not dangers. If you are given a truck or any rental equipment or trailer hitching equipment that is broken or clearly does not work, you could request new items. The trucks should always be inspected before they are rented out, and all equipment should be tested and maintained. If something happens to the truck or trailer mid-trip, U-Haul should pay for the damages
. The company will likely try and shift blame, though, and state that you were driving recklessly or that you caused the issue when you were loading.
In order to file a personal injury claim against U-Haul
, you must show that U-Haul owed you a duty of care that was breached, and that the breach of duty led to an accident that resulted in physical harm. You can also show that the truck had a design defect or manufacturing error, or that there were no hazard signs or warning signs on the equipment (if you choose to file a product liability claim).
Get started today by calling (888) 649-7166>.
Statute of Limitations on a U-Haul Accident Lawsuit
You have 2 years from the date of the injury to file a claim against U-Haul if you were injured in an accident
. This statute of limitations is in effect to ensure that claims are filed within an acceptable amount of time and do not take forever to be handled. The sooner you file your claim, the more likely it is that you will have ample evidence and your memory or the statements of coworkers will not degrade.
There are a few exceptions to the statue of limitations, such as when a minor is injured, a driver or passenger is left physically or mentally incapacitated, or when the defendant leaves the state. In all circumstances must return to normal – that is, the minor must be 18 to sue, the incapacitated individual must return to physical health, and the defendant must return to the state. Tin all situations, the statute of limitations will be suspended until normalcy returns.
What To Do After A U-Haul Accident
If you were involved in a U-Haul accident, you should follow these steps to have the best chance of success with your lawsuit and to stay safe and healthy.
- Go to the doctor for medical help
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Hold on to medical receipts and notes
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident and the damage done to the U-Haul vehicle and other cars
- Get security footage or dash cam videos if possible
- Interview eyewitnesses for their testimonies and statements
- Get a copy of the police report if the police investigate the accident
- Print out any copies of receipts or payments you made to U-Haul, such as your bank statement or customer agreements
- Contact a skilled lawyer who has experience filing claims against U-Haul for rental truck accidents
U-Haul Accident Compensation
Victims of U-Haul accidents should not be expected to pay for the expenses that racked up after accidents if they were not at fault. We will see to it that you are fully covered for all damages after an accident, and if we have to fight around the clock to bring you the maximum coverage available, we will do so. We will help you win the following damages:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering damages
Your case may be worth an ample amount if you were seriously injured. The insurance agent responsible for your claim will weigh the case according to the degree and severity of the injuries you suffered and how much of an impact they had on your career and daily life. If the settlement offer is not up t our standards, we will negotiate until we are satisfied with the result.
To speak with a Los Angeles brain injury lawyer, call (888) 649-7166.
How Our Firm Helps
The Downtown LA Law Group
can provide you with all the info you need about who insures U-Haul trucks, what steps to take after an accident, and what you should do if you were involved in a U-Haul truck crash. Our attorneys are well-versed in U-Haul accident lawsuits and we have decades of combined experience handling accident claims. We have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients, and we know how to win cases quickly.
For a free legal consultation, call our law firm today at (888) 649-7166
. We will tell you all the information you need to know about the legal process and will answer all your questions. We will also tell you how much we think your claim is worth and what we will do to win you the most damages available. If you hire us to represent you, we will give you our zero fee guarantee. This is a promise that you won’t have to pay a dime for our services. We will only get paid if we win, and if we lose, we will take no money at all from you.
For the best services available for your U-Haul accident
, reach out to the Downtown LA Law Group