Los Angeles DUI penalties adhere to different Vehicle Code sections, as imposed by the constitution. The DUI penalties are stated below. Take them as a general guideline, because in the case of DUI offense enhancement, your punishments will be of severe nature. Likewise, if a good LA DUI defense attorney is handling your case, you will be subject to a probable reduction in the DUI penalties. The following penalties and charges occur when the officer has the reason to believe that the driver is intoxicated. Also, these punishments are charged as a misdemeanor, instead of a DUI felony.
- 6 months in Los Angeles County jail
- License suspended for 6 months
- License revocation for up to 4 years
- $3,000 roughly imposed as fines, of which:
- The officer’s “reasonable” cause to believe that the driver was driving in violation of Vehicle Code(s) 23140, 23152(a,b) and 23153.
- BAC level of .08% at the time of being pulled over.
- If placed under lawful arrest, the driver is supposed to be at least 21 years old.