The incident occurred Saturday, November 2, 2019, in Northern California on Highway 99 near Sacramento
. According to authorities, a woman was impaled by a large metal bar
(that was approximately three feet long) that fell off a big rig on the highway
. The woman was impaled in the leg; she, fortunately, survived the grizzly incident
According to the CHP, a big rig (commercial truck) was traveling northbound on Highway 99
. A metal bar suddenly fell from the big rig onto the highway. The metal bar bounced before going through a Chevrolet Impala which was driving behind the big rig. The metal bar entered (went through) the engine compartment and exited the compartment through the front passenger area (specifically, the area under the glove compartment). That is when it impaled the victim in the right leg about halfway up the shin
The driver of the big rig drove off – possibly unaware of what happened. The driver of the vehicle carrying the victim quickly exited the freeway and called for emergency services. First responders quickly arrived on the scene and removed the metal bar from the woman’s right leg; she was later rushed to the emergency room. She survived, but her current condition is unknown.
This is a true “freak-accident” that could have been much worse for those involved.
Why did the large metal bar fall off the big rig?
The incident has left everyone who is aware of the story with many questions:
- Why did the large metal bar fall off the big rig?
- Did the truck driver fail to secure the metal bar with the rest of the cargo?
- Did the restraints that the truck driver used (if any) fail to keep the metal bar on the big rig?
- Was the truck driver properly trained to handle whatever material was being transported?
- Who placed the metal bar on the big rig without ensuring that it was properly restrained?
And perhaps, the most important question of all: could the victim file an injury claim and recover compensation?
Learn more about your legal options: call (855) 339-8879 to speak with a representative now.
The Right to Sue and Recover Compensation
Incidents like the one described above do not just happen without a clear reason. There is certain protocol that must be followed to ensure that all items carried by big rigs are secured during travel.
The fact that the metal bar fell off the big rig is representative of negligence on some level (possibly on many levels). Because the incident can be attributed to negligence, the victim could pursue a claim and even recover compensation. It is important to note that in similar incidents in which the outcome is fatal, surviving family members could also have the right to sue and receive compensation.
Depending on the specific details surrounding the claim, claimants might be eligible to recover compensation for some of the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial costs
- Punitive damages
For more information regarding the type and amount of compensation that you might be eligible to recover if you decide to pursue a claim, do not hesitate to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. The experts at our firm will fight for your right to recover the highest amount of compensation available for your claim.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (855) 339-8879.
Contact Downtown L.A. Law Group
At Downtown L.A. Law Group
, our experts have many years of experience handling all sorts of personal injury claims
– always representing the best interests of our clients. Our lawyers are dedicated to providing affected parties with the guidance necessary to file their claims and recover the compensation that they deserve. To ensure that all parties have access to our legal representation, our firm offers both free consultations and free second opinions, during which our lawyers will provide you with all the information that you need to start or continue your claim. These free legal services are available as part of a Zero-Fee guarantee
in which our clients will never have to worry about paying any upfront legal fees for any of our legal services. Our firm is also based on contingency; therefore, our clients will never have to pay anything until after reaching successful claim outcomes. If you are ready to allow our experts to handle your claim
, contact Downtown L.A. Law Group