An accident report can be the most important tool after your accident. Details of a police report are reviewed by insurance claims adjusters and defense counsel. So why is this report so important? Accident reports will often provide a detailed incident of what happened. These reports will include statements, names of witnesses, insurance information and diagrams. They will detail weather conditions and other important elements of your claim.
Should I Get a Police Report After my Car Accident?To get a copy of your report police must have been called to the scene. After the police arrive at the scene they will generally conduct their own report. This report will take into consideration a number of factors listed below. Police will generally respond where warranted, if there is a car accident. For example if there is a minor fender bender, it is unlikely for you to have a police report. Additionally, if there is a minor accident and the liability is clear a police report may not be required. However, if you have a serious injuries and liability is not always clear a police report is a must. Such reports will provide detailed information with regards to liability and other important variables that will be important to your case. Obtaining the report can be done by following instructions on the reverse side of the accident slip. Generally you will need to respond in writing and provide a small fee in order to get a copy of your report. This process can take up-to 3 weeks. So if you have been involved in a accident make sure to file an accident report is filed.
What Is On an Accident Report?Accident reports provide detailed information regarding the accident. Here is a list of the different elements included in a accident report.
- Name of the driver(s) at the time of the accident, including the names of any passenger who was present at the time.
- Insurance information and contact details for all parties involved.
- Statements from any witness available at the time of the accident. These statements can sometimes be critical to the success of your case.
- Weather conditions and road conditions at the time of the accident. For example if the roads were slick, slippery or wet at the time of the accident it would indicated on the report.
- Statements from the drivers of the vehicles at the time of the accident. This will be a statement regarding how the accident happened.
- Diagrams of the event. These diagrams can very important in determining how the accident took place.