The time following a car accident can be difficult. This difficulty is doubled when you have been injured. You may have many questions about the process that the at fault parties insurance company won’t answer. Under the laws of your state, you may be entitled to benefits you weren’t aware of. The negligent driver’s insurance company may try to deny or reduce those benefits. If you decide to hire an attorney to handle your case, you need to know the right questions to ask.
What Questions to Ask a Car Accident Lawyer?
Before speaking with a car accident lawyer, you should have as much detailed information and facts about the car accident and any injuries or financial losses as possible. Documents you may wish to show your attorney after a motor vehicle accident may include your insurance policy, information exchanged at the accident scene, and medical records, among other things. Below are some of the questions you should ask before hiring a car accident lawyer.
What benefits am I entitled to?
If you have medical bills and lost wages you will need to file a claim with your and the at fault parties insurance companies. Your attorney will go over those benefits, whether they are liability, uninsured motorist coverage, or medical payments coverage and apply for them on your behalf. Knowing what financial resources are available will help relieve the burden and allow you to concentrate on recovering from your injuries.
At-fault party’s insurance denied my claim. What should I do?
California is a pure comparative negligence state. The insurance company may say you were a percentage at fault to try to reduce your settlement or deny your claim entirely. Your attorney will walk you through the steps of pursuing your claim and fight on your behalf to get a fair decision on liability.
Some Resources for car accident victims:
|FAQ – Commonly Asked Questions||What Should I Do After A Car Accident?||Auto Accident Statistics||PDF – Legal Guide||Common Injuries|
What if the other driver wasn’t insured?
There are many different ways insurance coverage’s apply to motor vehicles and individuals. The other party may have been driving an employer’s vehicle or borrowing a friend’s car. Other insurance could apply in those cases. Your own insurance company may have benefits to contribute. Your attorney will investigate those sources to ensure you are fairly compensated for your injuries.
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to car accident cases?
- What experience do you have with the specific type of injury in question?
- What is a typical settlement range for cases similar to mine?
- How much of my car accident case will you actually handle?
- How are your fees structured?
- What out-of-pocket expenses am I responsible for?
- How much experience do you have with car accident cases?
- What percentage of your work is car accident cases?
- How recently did you handle a car accident case?
- What experience do you have with neck injury (or whatever type of injury you have) cases?
- What experience do you have with accidents that are similar to mine?
- What results have you gotten in cases like mine?
- What do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of my case?
- Will you personally handle my case?
- How can I reach you?
- What are the steps in the process of handling my case?
- How long do you expect my case to take?
- Can you tell at this point the probable settlement value or at least a range? If not, tell me how that will be determined.
- What will you expect from me as the case progresses?
- Explain the retainer agreement that you want me to sign. Will I have to pay the out-of-pocket costs of my case? Is your legal fee based on the gross recovery or the net recovery?
- Can I fire you if I am not satisfied with your work? If I do, what are my obligations to you?
After asking all of these questions, take a few moments to reflect and choose the car accident lawyer who best suits your needs. As soon as you have considered all of the variables and made your decision, it is time to get ready for your case. A good los angeles car accident attorney should answer all your questions and explain the process clearly and concisely.
Downtown LA Law’s Personal Injury Attorney will aggressively pursue the benefits you are entitled to and handle your case openly and honestly so you can focus on healing from your injury.
– Should I Hire An Attorney to Handle My Car Accident Claim?
– Can a Passenger Sue Driver in a Car Accident?
– What is the Government’s Liability for Car Accidents?
– How Long do I have to File a Claim After a Car Accident?
– How to handle Disputed Liability in Car Accidents: Proving He Said She Said Cases?
– What would be the Reimbursements for Lost Value After a Car Accident?
– How to Obtain a Car Accident Report from the Police Department in LA County?