If you have been involved in a car accident, you may have been saved from further injuries by your seat belt. The seat belt has saved hundreds of thousands of lives over the years and it has prevented extreme damages in many instances. Unfortunately, the seat belt is like any other product, and it can have defects present with it. Worse, because it is responsible for saving and protecting lives, any defects it has are that much more glaring and dangerous. If you have been injured in a car accident
due to a defective seat belt, you should reach out to the Downtown LA Law Group in Los Angeles
. We can provide you with a seat belt failure attorney who will handle your case for you.
Seat Belt Defects
Seat belts are basic designs that go across the chest and latch into a buckle. They protect the individual from being thrown around in the event of a crash. There is a chance that a victim will be hurled through the windshield, out of the window, or else bounced around the vehicle. Of course, the lack of a seat belt can lead to serious or fatal injuries
. Some defects include:
- Ripped seat belts: The seat belt must be able to withstand a certain amount of force. This force can come from another vehicle or from a single car accident. The rider should not be ejected and the seat belt should hold. If there are any signs of tearing or ripping with the belt, you should take legal action and repair it before it is too late.
- Latch issues: The latch on the seat belt allows it to stay in place and not come loose. There have been reports that the latches on seat belts have stopped clicking into place. A false latching is when you may hear the click and feel the tension in the belt, but it is not actually secure. This can trick the car into thinking a seatbelt is applied when it isn’t.
- Spool and retraction issues: The seat belt must retract back into the body of the car to create tension on the line and allow riders to be tugged to safety and kept in place if there is an accident. However, there are times when the seat belts do not effectively retract or when the excess line comes out in abundance. This extra spool does not help the rider. If there is too much slack tension, then a victim will not be held back and will be injured.
- Software troubles: There are some designs of car that have seatbelts that are operated by the computer system. A short in the system can lead to the seat belts no longer working.
If there are other troubles with the seat or the nuts and bolts of the car, the seat belt could not work as intended and could fail completely. It is extremely important that you get your car inspected by an adequate mechanic who can tell you if there are any malfunctions present.
If you were involved in a car accident
and you suffered additional damages because of a defective seat belt
, contact our firm today. One of our seat belt failure lawyers will gladly assist you with your lawsuit.
Damages from a Crash with a Defective Seat Belt
If you seat belt fails to protect you, it can lead to devastating injuries. You may suffer even more debilitating damage if you were in a severe crash. The manufacturer can be held responsible if you were hurt in any of the following ways, or more:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Closed head injuries
- Brain damage
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Spinal cord and neck damage
- Torn muscles
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones and fractures
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Knee and hip injuries
- Paraplegia and quadriplegia
Seat belts save thousands of lives each year, but a defective belt can cause tragedy. If you were injured in a car accident and it can be proven that the seat belt was defective, you can receive monetary compensation from a lawsuit. Our seat belt failure lawyers will be able to file your lawsuit for you and negotiate the fairest deal from the insurance agency.
Filing a Product Liability against the Car Manufacturer
If you were injured in a car accident and the seat belt broke and worsened your injuries, you could file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the vehicle. Manufacturers need to meticulously inspect their cars and ensure that there are no troubles or issues. The seat belt is one of the most important parts of the vehicle, and if it is defective, severe injuries can occur.
To file a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer, you must prove any of these points:
- There was a design flaw with the product that prevented it from working properly
- There was a manufacturing error that made the product defective during its creation
- There was no hazard sign or warning on the labeling to alert the user to the issue
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call (888) 649-7166 today.
Given that cars need seat belts as safety features, it is safe to say that there will likely be no hazard or warning sign on them for the belts. There could have been an error that the company made during the belt’s creation or installation.
If you wish to sue, you should make sure that you have as much evidence as possible. Perhaps the most important evidence is the seat belt itself. You should not get the belt repaired by a mechanic; instead, you should take ample photos and document how it was broken or defective. Once you have such photos, you can acquire more evidence, such as photos of your injuries, the damage to your car, eyewitness statements, and more.
It is important that you hire a seat belt failure lawyer to handle your case for you. If you do not have adequate legal experience, it will be in your best interest to let an expert attorney negotiate the fairest deal from the agency.
Deadline To File A Lawsuit
You do not have an unlimited amount of time to file a claim for your damages. You can file a product liability lawsuit up to 2 years after the injury before it becomes too late. If you try to sue later than that, you will be barred from compensation.
There are a handful of exceptions to the statute of limitations. They include your age (minors cannot sue and must wait until they are 18 years old before the statute of limitations kicks in), your physical and mental status (compromised states allow you to abstain from following the statute until you return to health), and the presence of the defendant (if the defendant leaves the state, you will not have to worry about the statute, as it will be suspended when he’s gone and will resume when he comes back).
Given that the auto manufacturer is a corporation, it is unlikely that it will leave the state. You should be aware of the deadlines for your case so you do not miss any important dates. If you need assistance, you are welcome to call our firm. We will handle your claim for you and see to it that you file your claim on time and you do not run the risk of missing the chance to earn your rightful compensation.
Compensation For A Seat Belt Failure Lawsuit
If you have been hurt because of a defective seta bet, you should pursue ample compensation from the responsible party. For one, you could seek out restitution from the responsible driver if you were struck by a negligent individual. This will allow you to be adequately covered for many expenses. If you were hurt because of the manufacturer of your car, though, or because a mechanic failed to fix an issue when he said he would, you could take legal action against the responsible company. This can allow you to receive the following:
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
- Coverage of medical expenses from the past and future, including surgery costs, hospitalization fees, physical therapy sessions, and more
- Lost income from the past and future if you needed time to recover from your injuries or to undergo additional medical treatments
- Property damage if your car needed repairs
- Pain and suffering damages if you were emotionally traumatized, suffered fear or anxiety, acquired PTSD, or had any other type of mental anguish due to the event
In the event that a loved one or family member died due to a defective seat belt, you could collect wrongful death expenses from the liable party. These expenses will allow you to cover the funeral and burial fees, loss of consortium and relations, loss of expected savings, pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, and others.
You should not worry about the different costs that can accompany injuries from a broken seat belt. The manufacturer should be held accountable, and we can help make sure that you are fairly covered. Call our seat belt failure attorneys today for more assistance.
To speak with a Los Angeles brain injury lawyer, call (888) 649-7166.
Why Choose Us
If you are in need of an expert seat belt failure attorney, look no further than the Downtown LA Law Group
. We have a team of lawyers with ample experience in product liability cases and defective automobile lawsuits. We know how important it is to win our clients the compensation they need and we will not give up until we are satisfied with the settlement we bring you. If we need to, we will aggressively fight for your rights in court and will show that you deserve every penny before a judge and jury.
Call our firm at (888) 649-7166
for a free legal consultation today. You can ask us whatever you wish and we’ll be sure to give you the answers you need. Your personal details will remain confidential throughout the case. We will also tell you more about our zero fee guarantee, which states that you won’t owe us a single dime from start to finish. We will only get paid if we win, and if we lose, we won’t collect any fees. Your finances will stay safe no matter what.
Get in touch with our defective seat belt lawyers today to get started on your lawsuit.