TOMY issued a recall on August 31, 2023 for around 83,000 units of the company’s Boon Flair and Flair Elite highchairs. The bolts holding the seat of the chair to the base may loosen and cause the seat to detach. This can easily result in the baby falling out on the chair as it becomes unstable.
The recall is for all chairs manufactured before 2016, which were sold in a variety of color combinations, including white/orange, blue/white, pink/white, and green/white. For a detailed listing of model numbers and date codes that are included in the recall, click here.
Consumers are advised to stop using the chairs immediately. They can also contact TOMY for a free repair kit, which will allow them to replace the defective bolts and washers. However, it’s worth noting that the company has received 24 reports so far of the chairs falling apart, and 11 cases of injury to children that have fallen out of the chairs.
As the parent of a child that was harmed by a TOMY Boon Flair and Flair Elite highchair, you may be entitled to monetary compensation from the manufacturer. To learn about the process of suing for a defective product injury, please schedule a free case review.
Injuries from Falling Out of a Highchair
Babies can end up with significant injuries if they fall out of a defective highchair. Here is a list of the most common injuries to infants and toddlers from a fall-related accident:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Cuts and scratches
- Dislocated joints
- Damage to the neck or spinal cord
- Death, usually associated with head trauma
What to Do if Your Baby is Injured by a Recalled TOMY Highchair
Make sure to follow these instructions if your baby is injured from falling out of a TOMY Boon Flair or Flair Elite highchair.
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if your child doesn’t appear to have serious injuries.
- If there are visible injuries, try to take photos right away so that you have evidence of bodily harm. Take pictures of the broken chair as well, along with any damage to your property.
- Contact the manufacturer and report the accident. Decline any offers to have the product repaired, receive a refund, etc. Accepting any remedies from the product maker can invalidate your right to sue them in the future.
- Make sure to save all evidence, including medical reports, proof of lost time at work, the damaged product, and statements from witnesses.
- Obtain legal advice from a lawyer with experience in product injury cases.
Can I Join a Class Action Lawsuit on this Case?
Yes, joining a class action is a possibility in cases of consumer recalls, as there are many people that may be suffering from the same type of injuries due to a defective product. With the manufacturer recalling around 83,000 chairs, we expect to see class action lawsuits and mass torts on these cases in the near future. To learn more about the process of filing a claim with other victims, contact our office to schedule a free consultation. That way, you can be informed of your rights and legal options by an experienced class action lawyer.
Contact DTLA Law Group
The product liability lawyers of DTLA have decades of experience in defective product injury claims. We are ready to investigate your case and fight for the compensation you deserve. If your child was injured by a recalled TOMY highchair, please give us a call.
Our payment comes from the product manufacturer at the end of your case. That means we charge you absolutely nothing if you decide to hire one of our attorneys. In addition, you won’t be responsible for any legal fees if we don’t succeed in recovering your settlement award. This is our promise to you under the Zero Fee Guarantee. To take advantage of this offer, simply contact our law firm and speak with an experienced personal injury lawsuit attorney.