It is no surprise that truck accidents
are so devastating when you consider how large the vehicles are. You should not take any risks when near trucks, and if you are in an accident, you should immediately get medical help and seek a qualified attorney for a lawsuit. Our team of Redondo Beach truck accident lawyers
at the Downtown LA Law Group
has been able to win countless cases for victims, and we promise to do all we can to secure you the compensation you deserve.
Why Truck Accidents Happen?
A truck accident may happen due to other drivers
on the road not giving the truck enough respect, such as by passing on the right or following too closely. There may also be issues with the road and environment that can cause truck drivers to lose control. It is not uncommon for trucks to sway or skid in ice and rain, especially if they are towing trailers. Potholes, hills, curves, and other road issues can also influence and cause accidents.
Additionally, there may simply be defects with the truck that weren’t caught by the driver or that were ignored, such as improperly filled tires, improper weight distribution of materials, uncovered loads, brake failure, and lack of warning signs
However, some accidents are caused by the outright negligence of drivers. They may operate the trucks recklessly in many ways, such as by:
- Running stop signs and red lights
- Turning left into oncoming traffic
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while fatigued or exhausted
- Texting or using the phone while driving
- Turning too sharply
- Failure to yield to other vehicles
- Improperly merging into lanes on the freeway
- Failure to check blind spots
- Failure to signal while turning
You should contact a skilled Redondo Beach truck accident lawyer
if you were hit by a truck. We can determine the cause of the accident, who was responsible, and more.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (855) 339-8879.
Steps To Take After A Truck Accident
After a truck accident, you may not know the best way to move forward. You may be injured and taken to the hospital or you may be stuck at the scene. There is adequate evidence at the site of the incident, but you may not be in your calmest or most rational state of mind, which could cause you to forget to collect it or lose it. It is important that you follow these steps if you have been in a truck crash:
- Go to the doctor or call paramedics for medical attention
- Hold on to your doctor’s notes, medical receipts, and anything else showing proof of treatment so that the insurance agent cannot dispute that you received help
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Photograph the damage to your car and the truck, the scene of the accident, and anything else relevant to the crash
- Interview eyewitnesses for their testimonies as to what happened, and ask other passengers in vehicles if possible for their statements
- Write down the contact information of the driver, his business information and insurance details, his license plate number, and anything else that can identify him
- Collect a copy of the police report from the station once it’s been filed
Once you have collected all of your evidence, you should reach out to a lawyer who has handled truck accidents in Redondo Beach
. An attorney can put your evidence together in a cohesive manner and submit a demand letter to the insurance company. The goal will be to accurately represent you and provide expert legal services, as you may not have the knowledge or ability to handle your claim by yourself.
Proving Negligence in a Truck Crash
To succeed with your lawsuit, you must establish that you were a victim of negligence. This is the basis for all personal injury claims. There are four points that must be proven for negligence, which are as follows:
- You were owed a duty of care by the responsible party
- The duty of care was breached in some way
- The breach of duty led to an accident
- The accident caused you to suffer actual physical injuries
All points must be upheld or your claim will not suffice. For example, if you did not suffer physical injuries, you won’t be able to receive certain damages for medical bills. You will be able to pursue reimbursement for lost income and property damage, though; you can simply provide a pay stub and a bill from your mechanic to the insurance agent. The positive is that you may not need an attorney in these situations, as insurance agents are more likely to be lenient and agreeable if there are no exorbitant payments.
In most other scenarios, though, you will need the assistance of a Redondo Beach truck accident attorney to handle your claim for you. As long as you leave it up to the experts, you will have a greatly increased chance of maximum success.
Time Limit to File a Truck Accident Lawsuit
You do not have an unlimited time to take legal action if you have been hurt in a truck accident
. According to California law, you only have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit for compensation for your injuries and losses. You should be careful not to miss this deadline; if you do, you will not be able to sue and receive compensation thereafter. Two years is ample time for you to assemble your evidence and file a claim against the responsible party. The longer you take to sue, the more likely it is that your evidence will not hold up or may become corrupted or lost.
This limit of two years is not constant, though. There are a few ways in which victims can still pursue a lawsuit, even if past the original deadline. Examples include the age of the plaintiff (minors can wait until they turn 18 to sue), the plaintiff’s health (mentally and physically incapacitated individuals can wait until they return to normal), and the defendant’s location (defendant must be in the state to be sued, but if he vacates, the statute would be extended until he returns).
Learn more about your legal options: call (855) 339-8879 with a representative now.
Truck Accident Lawsuit Compensation
The damages that result from a truck accident can be severe, and the ensuing expenses
can be very large. You may suddenly be hit with bills from the hospital, the mechanic, and other related parties, only to find that your everyday bills still need to be paid, as well – but if you cannot work, you have no way of paying them. It is important, therefore, that you seek out the maximum compensation that you can. Our attorneys will not rest until we win you a worthwhile settlement. You should be covered for the following:
- Medical expenses, including surgery costs, ambulatory transportation, hospitalization, medication and drugs, physical rehabilitation and therapy, and future treatments
- Property damage to your vehicle, personal items, electronics, and more
- Missed income for time you could not go to work, from both the past and future
- Pain and suffering damages for emotional trauma, psychological scarring, PTSD, anxiety, fear, and more
- Wrongful death damages if a loved one or family member passed away, which can include funeral fees, burial costs, pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, loss of consortium and relationships, loss of expected income and savings, and more
- Punitive damages if the defendant acted in gross negligence or intentionally tried to harm you, which can result in additional forms of monetary compensation; however, these amounts are hard to win and are often viewed as unnecessary by judges
If you attempt to handle your lawsuit by yourself, you may not be able to receive nearly as much compensation, if any at all. The insurance agent is likely to throw your claim away or make you a tiny offer. For the best chance of the highest restitution, get in touch with our Redondo Beach truck accident attorneys.
How We Help
Our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
, has decades of combined experience handling personal injury cases
. We have a wealth of knowledge regarding the law and have practiced for years. Our lawyers are a qualified and willing to go to all lengths to win your case. We are aggressive and will not give up until we are satisfied that we have brought you the proper coverage for your damages.
For a free legal consultation, call our law offices. All of your details and information will be kept totally confidential, and nothing will be shared elsewhere. We will tell you about the legal process and explain what we believe your case can yield. We’ll also work your case without taking any money thanks to our zero fee guarantee. This means that we don’t get paid unless and until we win, but we only get paid by taking a portion of the settlement we bring you, not any money from your personal savings. If we lose, we don’t get paid at all: not from you nor anyone else.
The Downtown LA Law Group
can provide you with an expert Redondo Beach truck accident lawyer
for your case.