Every year taxi cab accident result in thousands of injuries and hundreds of deaths in the United States. Under California Common Carriers Laws taxi cab drivers and owner-operators of taxi cab companies owe their passengers and other motorists a heightened level of care deemed sufficient to provide for safe transportation from one destination to another. As such victims of taxi accidents are entitled to full and just compensation for all their losses.
: Our law firm is dedicated to providing victims of auto accidents across California the legal representation required insure justice and serve and full compensation awarded. Our attorneys provide for free no cost and confidential legal consultations for any individual who has suffered serious injuries due to the negligent, wrongful or intentional actions of others. Feel free to contact our law offices toll free at (888) 649-7166
Taxi Cab Company Liability for Accidents – Common Carrier Laws
Under California common carrier laws operators of mass transit systems including taxi cab companies owe their passenger a heightened duty of care. There are several elements which must be proven in a personal injury case involving taxi cab accidents
Common Injuries Associated With Taxi Accidents
- The at fault party (defendant) has a duty to the injured victim (plaintiff).
- The duty was breached; in other words the defendant failed to reach the level of care provided for under the law.
- The breach of the duty was the cause of the accident.
- The plaintiff suffered some type of harm as a result of the accident.
: Similar to other type of motor vehicle accidents taxi accidents can often result in serious and at time life threatening injuries. Some of the most common motor vehicle accident injuries are as follows.
- Spinal cord injury – nerve damage and paralysis
- Facial injuries – lacerations broken nose and teeth
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Eye and Ear injury – loss of vision
- Broken bones – hips, ankles, separated shoulder
- Torn ligaments and tendons
- Emotional trauma – PTSD, depression and anxiety disorders following an accident
Filling a Lawsuit and Statute of Limitations
Victims of auto accidents are given a certain period of time following the incident to file a civil case in the court of law. The failure to file a personal injury lawsuit within the statutory limitation set by the law will eliminate a victims right to financial recovery from liable parties. In the state of California the statute of limitations for filing an auto accident lawsuit is 2 years.
What if I have not Filed in Time: In certain circumstances courts will allow for a halting or tolling of a statute so that victims can still possess their right to compensation. Some of the most common instances where courts have granted a tolling of a statute of limitations are as follows
Contact Our Firm
- Physical or mental incapacitation of the victim.
- Injured individual was under the age of 18 – minors have two years from the date of their 18th birthday to file a claim.
- Injuries did not present themselves until sometime after the incident.
: Our attorneys are here to help you with any legal questions you may have. Feel free to contact us by calling (855)385-2529. All consultations are free of charge and confidential.
Rear-end Taxi Cab Accidents
Passenger Rights and Taxi Accidents
California Common Carrier Laws