Falling Object in Store Incident – Injury Lawyer
Our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group, has handled many lawsuits against companies that have had signs or objects fall on customers’ heads. Businesses should not have any dangers present in their stores, and if they do have hazards, they should be held accountable in the event of accidents. We will ensure that your lawsuit is handled efficiently and that you get the help you need if a sign fell on your body or if you were hurt in any way.
Dangers of Falling Objects in Stores
You may be present in a 7-11, convenience store, retail store, supermarket, or other location when you suddenly get hurt because of falling store signs or dropping store signs. Some employees do not ensure that a store display is properly affixed or safe, for example, which can result in an accident.
Some of the most common falling objects that cause injuries in stores include:
- Hanging store signs, such as those that are strung across aisles and are not properly secured
- Displays that are balanced on shelves, that are not secured at the base, that are top heavy, or are in precarious or dangerous locations
- Falling light fixtures, which can generally happen if an electrician or worker did not properly screw the fixtures back in place or screw the grate in, or if the hook holding the fixture up finally gave out
- Falling roof tiles, which is common after bad weather or after there has been work done on the roof to prevent leaks
- Falling AC units, which are often in large stores, but some smaller stores can them in windows and above aisles
As a result, you can be seriously injured, especially if the object that fell was very large. It could have caused injuries like:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Closed head injuries
- Neck and spinal cord damages
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Collarbone or clavicle injures
- Torn muscles and ligaments
- Nerve damage
- Knee and hip injuries
- Ankle injuries
- Internal organ damages
- Puncture wounds
- Crushing injuries
- Internal bleeding
It is important that you get medical treatment immediately if you have been seriously hurt in a falling object accident at a store. You can then take the time to get started on your premises liability claim against the company.
Slip and fall Accident
Suing for an Injury from a Falling Store Sign
We are often asked questions like:
- “Can I sue if a store signs falls on my head?”
- “Do I have a case if a store sign fell on me?”
- “What should I do if a store’s sign injured me?”
To file a lawsuit, you will need to show that the store was liable in some way. Premises liability lawsuits can be filed if you can prove that the owner knew about the hazard and did nothing to fix it, caused the hazard in the first place, or should have known about the hazard but was inattentive or did not properly inspect the store.
You also have to establish what kind of guest you were on the property. Invitees are essentially customers and are owed the highest duty of care, while licensees are considered social guests and are afforded less of a duty. Trespassers are not legally allowed on the property at all but must not be specifically targeted. In big box stores, retail stores, markets, and more, you are likely an invitee. Therefore, the property owner should do everything in his power to ensure that you are safe and not at risk for any injuries.
You should follow these steps when building your case:
- Go to the doctor for medical treatment immediately so that your injuries do not worsen and so that the insurance agent does not dismiss it in the event of a gap
- Get copies of medical records, test results, X-rays, insurance billing papers, doctor’s statements, and more
- Take photos of the injuries you suffered
- Take pictures of the store and the scene of the accident, like the object that fell, where it fell from, and more
- Write down any eyewitness statements if possible, or get employee testimonies
- Acquire video evidence or security camera footage from the store if possible
- File an incident report with the store
Upon gathering all of your evidence, it is important that you reach out an injury lawyer for representation on your claim. If you have never taken legal action, you may not know how to proceed. We will ensure that all of your evidence is properly gathered and we will write your demand letter for the proper compensation. We will hire expert witnesses to testify on your behalf and we will go to all lengths to ensure that you’re treated fairly. You should focus on recovering from your injuries while we take on the case.
Compensation from a Falling Object Lawsuit
Many victims of falling objects have to prove their damages to an insurance agent. The agent will look at the extent of the injuries and will determine how much to offer in a settlement. He will consider how impactful the damages were, whether or not they affected your life and career, your age, the type of work you do, whether or not you were responsible for the incident in any way, and more. His goal is to preserve the profits of his company, not to give out large settlements to victims. Our goal is to represent you and ensure that you are treated fairly with a sizeable settlement to cover the losses you suffered. We will work to bring you the following forms of compensation:
- Medical expenses from the past and future to cover hospitalization fees, surgery costs, physical therapy and rehabilitation sessions, medication and prescription drugs, and more
- Property damage to replace or repair any personal items you owned that were lost or broken in the incident
- Lost income from the past and future like lost bonuses, benefits, commissions, tips, and more, if you were unable to work due to your injuries, recovery time, or additional medical procedures
- Pain and suffering damages to cover the mental stress, emotional anxiety, PTSD, fear, and more stemming from the incident
It is possible that a loved one or family member could pass away in the incident. This would allow you to recover wrongful death expenses, which can include funeral and burial fees, loss of inheritance and expected savings, loss of consortium and relations, pre-death medical bills, pre-death pain and suffering damages, and more.
We will not rest until we have secured you the maximum settlement available under the law for your claim.
Statute of Limitations on Premises Liability Claims
Premises liability claims are personal injury lawsuits, so they are privy to the same statute of limitations. In California, you only have 2 years to take legal action after an injury sustained in a store. If you do not sue in that time, you will not be able to collect any compensation at all in the future. It is important that you move quickly so that your evidence is kept safe and does not expire or get lost.
It is possible that your statute of limitations can be pushed past the 2-year deadline in some scenarios. If you were under 18 years old when you were hurt, you cannot legally sue, but you can wait until you turn into an adult; you may also simply have your parents or legal guardian sue on your behalf while you’re still a minor. Some individuals may have been left physically or mentally incapacitated after the incident, which can result in them not being able to sue until they return to functionality or health. Moreover, the defendant must be present in California; if he has left the state, the statute will be suspended until he comes back.
Our lawyers will ensure that your case is handled efficiently and that you do not miss any crucial deadlines. We know that many victims tend to wait too long and do not acknowledge the statute of limitations.
Our Firm’s Promise
The Downtown LA Law Group is one of the most highly rated personal injury law firms in Los Angeles. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for victims of accidents over the years, and we know exactly how to maneuver through your case so you win the maximum settlement available under the law. Our attorneys are aggressive and are always committed to every single client who walks through our doors.
You can call our firm for a free legal consultation to discuss your claim. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a week. We encourage you to ask us whatever you wish and we’ll tell you what we believe we can win in your case. All of your private details and case information will be kept totally confidential. Further, if you hire us, we’ll give you our zero fee guarantee. This means that you won’t have to pay a single dime out of pocket for our services. We’ll cover the costs of the case from start to finish, and if we lose, we get nothing at all. Our payment will come from the settlement awarded by the company.
To sue a store because you were injured by a falling sign or object in a store, contact the Downtown LA Law Group today.